Final Fantasy 3

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Final Fantasy 3

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I'm not much of an RPG player. I get bored with them quickly, and my tastes are both arbitrary and specific.

I picked up FF3 for DS a week or so ago, to give it a shot. I've never been a big fan of Final Fantasy, but the game got rave reviews, and there are so many people out there who are such rabid fans of the FF series that there must be something they get out of the series.

Long story short: RPGs still aren't my thing, and this game is no exception. I didn't get far before I was bored and aggravated with all the random encounters, and found the game overall tedious.

I also recognize that I'm pretty alone in this view.

So, that said, is there anyone who'd like a near-new copy of FF3 for DS? I'll let it go for $30, which is ten less than retail. It is very well done, and I'd hate to see it go to waste. It's just not my kind of game.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I'm like you, Fiddler. I can't really stand them, they just seem like a boring waste of time to me.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

RPGs are pretty much all I play, though when I get burned out from them, I do enjoy other genres (I was suprised that I actually like GRAW and PGR3). Though not a RPG, I consider Eternal Darkness for the Cube to be one of the best of the last generation.

Having said that, from what I've been hearing, the remake of FF3 is pretty hardcore and old school. If that is true, it could be pretty monotonous, especially for someone that isn't into rpgs. Sounds like it plays like an 8-bit rpg with a modern face lift (though I haven't tried it, so...). I don't think I could sit down and even have the patience myself to play most 8-bit rpgs like I used to.
Last edited by abydos1000 on Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

I haven't played much of FFIII on the DS yet, but so far, I like it a lot less than the original NES version. They should have continued the scrapped Wonderswan remake on the GBA, and saved the DS for something else (FFVII?).
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

Skynet wrote:
I'm like you, Fiddler. I can't really stand them, they just seem like a boring waste of time to me.
Ahoy! Looks like we're in the same boat. I have a pretty short attention span, so I get bored of RPGs very easily too. I even tried to force myself to like them, but that turned out to be a lesson in futility.
Specially Cork

Re: Final Fantasy 3

Post by Specially Cork »

DaMadFiddler wrote:but the game got rave reviews
Not really. IGN only gave it a 7.8 and they are the biggest Final Fantasy fanboys in the industry. Gamespot gave it a 7.9

Both sites make it quite clear than FFIII is so dated and demanding that unless you're a hardcore rpg/ff fan, you're probably not going to like it. Hell, I'm one of the biggest FF fans out there and I don't even like it that much. The difficulty is pretty high and the number of random battles gets annoying quite soon on. Plus there are many occasions when there is no indication of where to go next.

I don't want to sound too asshole-ish, but if you're not much of an RPG-player this is one of the <i>last</i> games I would recommend you pick up.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

IMO a good RPG should tell a compelling story. I think its the story that has made Final Fantasy games so popular over the more recent years (as in FF6 and above). ITs my understanding FF 3 is still a pretty much dull story even after being redone for the DS? I can stand the grindfest if I have a good story to look forward to. That was probably why I hated RPG's pre PS1/Saturn era. Plus older RPG's seemed to have a lot longer random battles. I mean I remember trying to play FF1 and it seemed like every 3 to 5 steps you was entering 5 minute long battles with trash mobs.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

Veggita2099 wrote: I mean I remember trying to play FF1 and it seemed like every 3 to 5 steps you was entering 5 minute long battles with trash mobs.
you can add dragon warrior on the n.e.s. to that as well. even though the dragon warrior games blew the ff games out of the water in terms of story, they were still every 3 steps a battle. ff3 for the ds isn't so bad. sometimes i can make it through a floor of a dungeon with only 1 or 2 fights. i'm almost at the last dungeon. the story isn't as good as i thought it would be. i don't even remember how i got the members of my party.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Re: Final Fantasy 3

Post by DaMadFiddler »

StupidBrit wrote:I don't want to sound too asshole-ish, but if you're not much of an RPG-player this is one of the <i>last</i> games I would recommend you pick up.
Well, I like trying different things...and a lot of things that have been billed as "good starter RPGs" or "RPG-lite" experiences are boringly easy and uncomplicated.

To date, I have played exactly three turn-based RPGs through to completion:

- ChronoTrigger)
- Grandia II
- Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (yeah, laugh it up...)

...I played about halfway through the first Golden Sun game before giving up because I just wasn't having much fun with it. I tried the first Grandia, and got most of the way through the first disc...but I'd already played 2 on Dreamcast, so I was spoiled going in and couldn't really enjoy it properly. I will probably complete Superstar Saga at some point. I tried Tales of Symphonia, and just couldn't get into it. Dark Cloud 2 seemed fun, but the daunting size of it kind of overwhelmed me. I have yet to try a Final Fantasy I've liked...and I found the Phantasy Star games even more tedious than FF.

I have a similar problem with hack'n'slash dungeon crawlers. Games like Diablo and such...I can't get very far into them, because they get tedious and repetitive very quickly, and I lose interest. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance held onto me because of its high production values and interesting (if somewhat limited) story, and I absolutely LOVED Freedom Force, but they're rare exceptions.

Paradoxically, I absolutely love action-RPGs like Zelda. There was also a really good Zelda clone for MasterSystem called Golden Axe Warrior, which actually surpassed the game it was imitating in terms of quality. Given Sega's practice of pushing their games out on every platform under the sun, I have no idea why it's never been re-released.

I also really loved the flawed but fascinating Saturn RPG Dark Savior. The first 60 seconds of gameplay change the entire game world depending on a few factors, and you'll meet all the characters and environments under completely different circumstances, with a different (but connected) plot. Despite the game's technical problems (a flawed battle system, and sometimes-wonky platform manipulation), the premise of the game was so fascinating that I managed to make it through every variation of the plot. It is also the only game that has ever caused me to break a controller in frustration :o. My poor, poor Saturn 3D pad....
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I have broken two controllers over frustration of a video game. One of them was a genesis controller over the game Spidermen-Xmen. Luckily it was a generic controller I had paid $5 for at a local flea market. This was probably back in 1995ish Id guess.

The more recent was that cursed game Mario Sunshine. Gamecube controller just can't withstand a good toss. That one actually hurt as GC controllers wasn't cheap at the time.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

only RPG i ever finished was Grandia II for Dreamcast. as it was not plagued with a thousand random battles.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Nico0020 wrote:only RPG i ever finished was Grandia II for Dreamcast. as it was not plagued with a thousand random battles.
I've come to the conclusion that I just can't handle games with randomly-generated random encounters. Show me the damn enemies onscreen, so I can pick and choose my fights. I've noticed that every RPG I've spent at least a little time in does that, while game I get frustrated with quickly doesn't.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

abydos1000 wrote: Having said that, from what I've been hearing, the remake of FF3 is pretty hardcore and old school.
Yeah, seriously.

You can't even buy Phoenix Downs in shops and characters don't revive from death in inns.

It is better than the NES original though, outside of the looooooong animations after every battle which makes the FF grind even more noticable.

I bought it at the same time as FFV Advance, which frankly pisses all over it, although I'm on record as thinking FFV is just about my favourite FF ever.
DaMadFiddler wrote: - Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (yeah, laugh it up...)
Superb game.

You might want to give Vagrant Story a try, its a good PS1 Action-RPG but you'll probably get scalped for it on eBay or whatever.
Although Squenix have been hinting they might be resurrecting the franchise sooner rather than later.

FFXII:Revenant Wings on DS looks like it might be interesting too, although more RTS than RPG
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
Nico0020 wrote:only RPG i ever finished was Grandia II for Dreamcast. as it was not plagued with a thousand random battles.
I've come to the conclusion that I just can't handle games with randomly-generated random encounters. Show me the damn enemies onscreen, so I can pick and choose my fights. I've noticed that every RPG I've spent at least a little time in does that, while game I get frustrated with quickly doesn't.
Your taste in RPGs is actually quite similar to mine. Outside of PC RPGs (which are much, much different) just about the only J-RPGs I've beaten are Grandia II and Chrono Trigger. I've gotten pretty far in some random battle-based games, but it usually eventually turns me off.

Oh yeah, I did beat Star Ocean II... But I could take that more easily since it was an Action RPG.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Yea I heard Final Fantasy 3 was pretty hardcore which is why I never bought it.
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
im the same, i generally never play rpgs

exceptions

grandia 2 (dc)
shenmue/shenmue 2
star wars kotor
paper mario
mario rpg
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Didn't Grandia 2 have random battles? Sometimes I can handle them, but sometimes I can't. Skies of Arcadia was probably the worst as far as newer RPG's goes I think. Its ashame because it seemed like it was a really good game otherwise. However the random battles not only was very frequent, but they also went on forever. At least with newer Final Fantasy games the battles usually last under 1 minute.

I never did get into the original Grandia game either, however I did love Grandia 2. I never have played the 3rd one as I heard it was subpar at best by a lot of people. I think I got about 3/4th of the way through disc one on the first Grandia game.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Veggita2099 wrote:Didn't Grandia 2 have random battles? Sometimes I can handle them, but sometimes I can't. Skies of Arcadia was probably the worst as far as newer RPG's goes I think. Its ashame because it seemed like it was a really good game otherwise. However the random battles not only was very frequent, but they also went on forever. At least with newer Final Fantasy games the battles usually last under 1 minute.

I never did get into the original Grandia game either, however I did love Grandia 2. I never have played the 3rd one as I heard it was subpar at best by a lot of people. I think I got about 3/4th of the way through disc one on the first Grandia game.
Grandia 2 showed the enemies in the overworld. In fact, your initiative depended partially on how you approached them.

As far as Skies of Arcadia: That's another one I might have enjoyed if not for the random battles. I got nearly halfway through the 'Cube version, but I kept getting killed in random encounters and eventually just gave up.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I borrowed Final Fantasy III off a friend that was trying to sell it to me. Though the game looks cool, two things bugged me enough that I gave up on it totally after about a half hour of playing.

1: The top screen is not used. I mean, the potential of using two screens in an RPG is endless, so Square's decision not to irritates me.

2: The battles are super quick and frequent, so why is the start and end animations longer than the battles themselves? I felt that the majority of my time was wasted just waiting for the animations to end so I could move on.