Will a 2600 mess up my tv?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Will a 2600 mess up my tv?

Post by SuperMegatron »

I bought a 2600 jr. at a yard sale for 5 bucks today. It has pac-man and pole position with it. My girl says the games will burn in on the tv and basically ordered me not to use the system. I have heard that a static image will burn in on a tv if you play a game for a long time, but will it still do that on a plasma?
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

I don't think it will because for a TV to burn in a image you would have to leave the game on for a long,long time. I am sure your safe, I had a friend who used to play his atari 2600 on his projection Television and it never had a Burn in image so I am very sure your safe. BTW I love the Jr I have the same model :).
Have you played dreamcast today?
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Re: Will a 2600 mess up my tv?

Post by Roofus »

SuperMegatron wrote:I bought a 2600 jr. at a yard sale for 5 bucks today. It has pac-man and pole position with it. My girl says the games will burn in on the tv and basically ordered me not to use the system. I have heard that a static image will burn in on a tv if you play a game for a long time, but will it still do that on a plasma?
Should be fine.
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

Plasmas ave more chance of it happening than any other display, but long as your not playing for a prolonged amount of time its probably fine.
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

If you're really, really worried about it, you can send it to me. :lol:

Anyway - people have always said this about big screen TV's (no matter what the technology) and video games (no matter what the technology).

Supposedly, if I played video games on our old rear-projection TV, it was going to get ruined, too. I played a lot of video games on that TV and never had a problem (until we got a really bad power surge that blew up the power supply).

I think they just say that to cover their asses in case something happens, but the chances are like a million-to-one.

Just remember, if you are worried about playing the 2600 on your TV, you should also be worried about using a lot of emulators and homebrew games.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Re: Will a 2600 mess up my tv?

Post by APE »

SuperMegatron wrote:I bought a 2600 jr. at a yard sale for 5 bucks today. It has pac-man and pole position with it. My girl says the games will burn in on the tv and basically ordered me not to use the system. I have heard that a static image will burn in on a tv if you play a game for a long time, but will it still do that on a plasma?
She has no clue what she is talking about. First off:

Those warnings apply to projection tvs. CRTs are affected by burn in but it takes many many many hours of the same image. Think a display TV at a store that's been on CNN for 5 years. The occasional play of a 2600 will not magically burn in. Plasma will burn in as well but again, it takes a very long time with a very static image.

You have more to worry about from the plasma losing it's ability to properly display a picture within 3-5 years. If you're really going to worry about burn in though you might as well get rid of the display and enjoy a wall.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

Burn in sure as hell happens on CRT monitors. I see it all the time on monitors that had been hooked up to cash registers for a few years.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

My mom has AOL and her buddy list burned into her CRT.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

pole position is the great name for a video game
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I have always been told all Plasma screen TV's can get burn in really easy. Friend I work with told me his manual for his Plasma has a bold warning saying not to play any video games on it.

Newer Plasmas have a way to reduce the chance of this happening. IF you can find it I would recommend checking your manual. That is the reason I bought LCD. Cheaper and video game friendly.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

I've been looking for a reasonably priced atari 7800 with no luck.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Veggita2099 wrote:I have always been told all Plasma screen TV's can get burn in really easy. Friend I work with told me his manual for his Plasma has a bold warning saying not to play any video games on it.
Yes, I have seen the relative ease of burning an image on a plasma first hand.

Last year at the New Orleans Acacemy of Ophthalmology we had a booth for our EMR system. I'm not going into the grisly details of it all, but it involves a plasma television. We had a full slideshow running on it at some point, but the powers that be felt that people wouldn't be reading it anyway, so we changed it to a static image of our logo.

By the end of the day, the image was burned in.

Also, since this plasma is also used in an exam room in the medical clinic, displaying the image from a laptop, it also has the Windows XP Luna-themed Start bar burned into the display as well.
No signature.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

toastman wrote:
Veggita2099 wrote:I have always been told all Plasma screen TV's can get burn in really easy. Friend I work with told me his manual for his Plasma has a bold warning saying not to play any video games on it.
Yes, I have seen the relative ease of burning an image on a plasma first hand.

Last year at the New Orleans Acacemy of Ophthalmology we had a booth for our EMR system. I'm not going into the grisly details of it all, but it involves a plasma television. We had a full slideshow running on it at some point, but the powers that be felt that people wouldn't be reading it anyway, so we changed it to a static image of our logo.

By the end of the day, the image was burned in.

Also, since this plasma is also used in an exam room in the medical clinic, displaying the image from a laptop, it also has the Windows XP Luna-themed Start bar burned into the display as well.
I am no expert on this, but from what I have seen from my family's Toshiba plasma, the effects of burn in can be reversed. The television has several features to reduce and reverse burn in (displays image negatives, moves picture around, etc.). We got it in November and already you can see a news ticker at the bottom if you look hard, but if I change the channel for a while and then look at it, you can't see it anymore. So it looks like the image sticks but wears off after a while.
It's thinking...
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

butters wrote:Burn in sure as hell happens on CRT monitors. I see it all the time on monitors that had been hooked up to cash registers for a few years.
There are a few computers at my old HS that had the NT logon notice burned in. Being they are still in use they are probably upwards of 6 years old.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

APE wrote:
butters wrote:Burn in sure as hell happens on CRT monitors. I see it all the time on monitors that had been hooked up to cash registers for a few years.
There are a few computers at my old HS that had the NT logon notice burned in. Being they are still in use they are probably upwards of 6 years old.
Funny thing is we have had some monitors come back from some of our stores that were used in the bookkeepers offices. You can clearly read the menu options of the first menu and can read every month in a strip at the top that displays the date and time.
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

I had a laptop with the start menu burnt in.
Sir Slash

Post by Sir Slash »

well like everyne said its prolong exposure
i'msure youve been to the arcade...or perhaps laundry mat with an old arcade machine like pac-man in the corner... seing all those lines are common.
WELCO
ME
TOT
HE
NEX
T
LEVEL

toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

|darc| wrote: I am no expert on this, but from what I have seen from my family's Toshiba plasma, the effects of burn in can be reversed. The television has several features to reduce and reverse burn in (displays image negatives, moves picture around, etc.). We got it in November and already you can see a news ticker at the bottom if you look hard, but if I change the channel for a while and then look at it, you can't see it anymore. So it looks like the image sticks but wears off after a while.
I had heard about being able to reverse burn-in with the later models. I also heard that playing static will also help with burn-in.

However, I think this TV is over 4 years old, so I'm not too sure how much it will work.

That and I don't care enough to press the issue. :D
No signature.