Oblivion

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Post by |darc| »

Nyarlathotep wrote:[snip]
Breathe in, breathe out. It's just a video game.
It's thinking...
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

hmm. I just finally completed my mods for orig Morrowind... my ferry crab, my weather changing shirt, my bolt/arrow maker mod. I still have tons of sh*t to do in that game. And i still cant decide on the perfect house design.

Havent started oblivion yet, i need a new vid card, and for me.. it really will be Oblivion.
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by atf487 »

So much tension in this thread. Come on guys, share the love
Tetris: 556-381-350-981
MKDS: 163-282-974-709
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I beat the main quest today. I thought it was made really well. Far as the difficulty went I just left the bar pretty much where it was when I started. Pretty much had to chain heal, run circles, turn around and fight, repeat.

Anybody know if it increases the load times by downloading content for this game on the 360? I know I went out and bought the Game of the Year edition of Morrowwind for Xbox and the load times doubled on me. Right now I can bare with the load times, its mainly the Imperal City that has insanely long load times really.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Veggita2099 wrote: Anybody know if it increases the load times by downloading content for this game on the 360?
Initial load after the Bethseda logo is longer - have you patched it by being online while playing it though? There was a patch a while back that dramatically sped up load times where you see the 'tool tips' screen, but made the 'now loading...' areas while walking a bit more noticable
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Veggita2099 wrote: Anybody know if it increases the load times by downloading content for this game on the 360?
Initial load after the Bethseda logo is longer - have you patched it by being online while playing it though? There was a patch a while back that dramatically sped up load times where you see the 'tool tips' screen, but made the 'now loading...' areas while walking a bit more noticable
Yea its fully patched. Really the only load times that bug me are in the Imperial City, and a couple of other towns. I might download the expansion in a few days. For the moment doing some various quests and improving my skills. Was nice getting to Expert on Heavy Armor, I can actually loot stuff again!
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Just got the downloaded expansion. First part of that quest is awful! Nothing enjoyable about trying to track these shrines down THEN try and track down troll fat etc to activate them. I hope it gets better.
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

I never really got into Morrowind, but I've heard that Oblivion has a more concrete main story line. As a fan of more of the Japanese style of rpgs (the only reason why I have a ps2 at this point), will Oblivion be more to my tastes? The Ebgames here still has new copies of the collectors edition here after all of this time...
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

Veggita2099 wrote:Just got the downloaded expansion. First part of that quest is awful! Nothing enjoyable about trying to track these shrines down THEN try and track down troll fat etc to activate them. I hope it gets better.
The armor you get out of the quest is worth it, but know that it is light armor. You mentioned up there that you use heavy armor. Almost all of the armor has fortify HP, which is really nice. I'd still be using the armor if I'd stop doing thieves guild jobs, which raise your infamy and make the gods pissed off at you and the armor unequitable.
abydos1000 wrote:I never really got into Morrowind, but I've heard that Oblivion has a more concrete main story line. As a fan of more of the Japanese style of rpgs (the only reason why I have a ps2 at this point), will Oblivion be more to my tastes? The Ebgames here still has new copies of the collectors edition here after all of this time...
Yes Oblivion has a more concrete store line. As you do the main quest, the world around you changes. The battle system is also vastly improved.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

abydos1000 wrote:I never really got into Morrowind, but I've heard that Oblivion has a more concrete main story line. As a fan of more of the Japanese style of rpgs (the only reason why I have a ps2 at this point), will Oblivion be more to my tastes? The Ebgames here still has new copies of the collectors edition here after all of this time...
I didn't like Morrowind either, but Oblivion is quite a bit better. While I'm still not able to get into it as much as some other people here (I play it maybe an hour a week), it's a little more linear, making it so you're not always lost like you are in Morrowind. And you can travel somewhere by clicking it on the map instead of using those giant insect things to travel. It's a little more straight forward than Morrowind, that's why I haven't given up on it yet.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Finding the shrines isn't so bad, its finding the gifts required to get them to talk to you. I have still looking for some sort of brandy that I can't find anywhere cryodil brandy or something like that. Took me forever to find troll fat. All the dungeons that I remember trolls being in are now undead it would seem.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover

Post by butters »

Veggita2099 wrote:Finding the shrines isn't so bad, its finding the gifts required to get them to talk to you. I have still looking for some sort of brandy that I can't find anywhere cryodil brandy or something like that. Took me forever to find troll fat. All the dungeons that I remember trolls being in are now undead it would seem.
You are talking about the Knights of the Nine expansion right? I think you are doing some Daedric shrines sidequest.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

butters wrote:
Veggita2099 wrote:Finding the shrines isn't so bad, its finding the gifts required to get them to talk to you. I have still looking for some sort of brandy that I can't find anywhere cryodil brandy or something like that. Took me forever to find troll fat. All the dungeons that I remember trolls being in are now undead it would seem.
You are talking about the Knights of the Nine expansion right? I think you are doing some Daedric shrines sidequest.
Yea isn't the first mission the pilgrimage to visit the shrines? I did notice they are not in the same location as the map though, however that map you are given is a pain to try and find anything with. I dunno maybe I am doing something else. I tried finding the first location with the map (the one closest to Anvil) and I didn't find anything there. I looked at the map though and in different locations was shrines with a few people wandering around them. First one involved me freeing some Ogres. I got a hammer and a thank you out of it.

Tried looking it up on gamefaq but the only hint it gives you is to pretty much follow the map.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

The shrines you need to find as part of the Knights of the Nine are the Shrines of the Nine, and they aren't marked on the map.
They're the ones that when you've found you get bonuses in temples from.

The Daedric shrines are something different entirely, but are worth doing anyway.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover

Post by butters »

Nyarlathotep wrote:The shrines you need to find as part of the Knights of the Nine are the Shrines of the Nine, and they aren't marked on the map.
They're the ones that when you've found you get bonuses in temples from.

The Daedric shrines are something different entirely, but are worth doing anyway.
Yeah what you need to find are the wayshrines. They are little white shrines in the boonies. You walk up to them and it says something like "You said a prayer to Akatosh. Some status effects are cured. Keep up your pilgrimage." I didn't feel like aimlessly wandering and printed off a map of the wayshrines from Gamefaqs.
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

I checked around, and this doesn't seem to be a game that shows up preowned too often around here. If the battle system is vastly improved as butters says, maybe I'll try a rental before plunking down $70.

Of course with my luck, I'll like it, buy it, and it will go on sale in a week. It's been out for almost a year.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

abydos1000 wrote:I checked around, and this doesn't seem to be a game that shows up preowned too often around here. If the battle system is vastly improved as butters says, maybe I'll try a rental before plunking down $70.

Of course with my luck, I'll like it, buy it, and it will go on sale in a week. It's been out for almost a year.
$70? Wow. I bought the Collector's Edition for $60 at Best Buy and it wasn't even on sale.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I actually had a hard time finding it. I happened to go to a local ebgames and they had just gotten it in used like 1 hour ago. Only saved $5 but the box and disc was in like new shape.

I just finished up Knights of the Nine. In a way I am dissapointed because over half of it felt like a time sink scavenger hunt. The last part was pretty good although the final boss was way to easy.

Hardest mob I have found in the game is in some ruins near the Imperial City. I forget the name of the place its something that starts with a V and its right on the water. I was exploring in there and the whole dungeon was nothing but rats and crabs. Got to the bottom and seem somebody. Did a sneak attack with my bow and noticed it did no noticeable damage. I got wooped by a girl and probably only took her down to about 65% health. Went back in and found out she actually won't attack you if you don't attack her. When talking to her she says something about her blade feels the need to kill and thats it. It does not give you the chance to use speechcraft or anything. Tried to pickpocket her and just got a handful of money. She didn't seem to mind me stealing the stuff around her either.

Any idea what she is for? She is thus far the hardest mob in the game. With enough heal potions I could probably take her though. I was lvl 19 at the time I tried to woop her.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

That's Umbra.

Killing her is part of a bugged daedric shrine quest which will wreck your savegame if you do it the 'proper' way.

If you just go down there without being told to though, and kill her, you get just about the best sword in the game, with (because its a 'quest' item) 0 weight and soul-trap on every strike, so if you have enough soul gems (or Azuras star) it pays for itself with every kill.
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

Freaky Keneaki wrote:
abydos1000 wrote:I checked around, and this doesn't seem to be a game that shows up preowned too often around here. If the battle system is vastly improved as butters says, maybe I'll try a rental before plunking down $70.

$70? Wow. I bought the Collector's Edition for $60 at Best Buy and it wasn't even on sale.
$70 is the retail price. Sometimes when something is fairly new, places like Best Buy or Circuit City will have a $10 off sale, though this has been out for so long now, I doubt they would have it in stock. Having watched some of the videos from xbox live, I may pass on this. The first person perspective never has done much for me in rpgs.