Finnally got me a wii.

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Finnally got me a wii.

Post by Veggita2099 »

I am ashamed to admit it, but I bought it at scalper prices. Was at a local flea market and a dude had one new in box for $315. I have called every walmart every 3 days for the past couple of weeks looking for one. I have also checked ebay but only found them for $350 + shipping. I broke down, swallowed my pride, and payed $315 for it.

When I bought it I thought to myself. I figured what would I rather do. spent 8 hours standing in line at walmart trying to get one, or work 3 hours and pay the extra 65ish dollars to a Scalper. I obviously choose the latter(beats paying gamestop $699 bucks for a overpriced *bundle*). That said I absolutely love it! I really had my doubts about the controller, However it really is good stuff. Of course the first thing I did was play with the Wii Sports. I really enjoyed the bowling and golf. I would say Bowling is my favorite. Baseball is ok. I didn't much care for boxing or tennis though. Considering I have not enjoyed a sports game since...... well the NES days ,I am pretty happy. I think the Wii sports gives an idea of what we might expect from some future games though.

OF course I had to run out and buy Twilight Princess. What kind ticks me off is Gamestop acts like it is super rare and impossible to get. However you can walk into any walmart and find about 25 copies of this game. I have had a preorder for it from gamestop since summer 2005, however it was for gamecube. I have 12.50 paid on it, however they won't have any more Wii copies of the game for a long time apparently. So anyways putting that aside I got the game at walmart.

I love the game. This is what I felt the first Gamecube Zelda game should have been like. So far I have past 1 dungeon and am trying to find my way to the second (not going into details to avoid spoilers). I really only have 1 complaint about the game. I think they should have given players the option to set swinging the sword to the A button instead of swinging the wii remote. I mean its not a game killer or anything, but I do find myself for some reason hitting the A button trying to swing my sword instead of the wii remote. I am getting a lot better at it, however the way it is set up I see no reason the sword couldn't be used with the A button (it seems useless otherwise).

Anyways I hate to start another Wii topic, but I am very happy with the way this console turned out. I was concerned the controller would suck. I guess the Nintendo DS's over rated touch screen had me worried. However this controller seems pretty solid and I was able to instantly pick up on it (at least with Wii sports and Zelda). I can't say how other games play, but so far it seems pretty good. I only wish the Wii was a tad bit more powerful to compete with Xbox 360 and Ps3. However if Nintendo can keep some good 3rd party support and a good line up of games I think this will be a nice console.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

Considering that I work at toys r us and still haven't been able to get one even though they are stockpilling them for a bundle sale, I am pondering buying one from ebay as well.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Wow.

HEY EVERYBODY, VEGGITA LIKES SOMETHING! :o
No signature.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: Finnally got me a wii.

Post by |darc| »

Wow, I'm surprised. You're very, very skeptical of new things like this. I'm really glad you like it.
Veggita2099 wrote:I love the game. This is what I felt the first Gamecube Zelda game should have been like. So far I have past 1 dungeon and am trying to find my way to the second (not going into details to avoid spoilers). I really only have 1 complaint about the game. I think they should have given players the option to set swinging the sword to the A button instead of swinging the wii remote. I mean its not a game killer or anything, but I do find myself for some reason hitting the A button trying to swing my sword instead of the wii remote. I am getting a lot better at it, however the way it is set up I see no reason the sword couldn't be used with the A button (it seems useless otherwise).
Dude, my thoughts exactly. It feels more like shaking the controller than it does swinging it like a sword--not very realistic. Most of the time I just get lazy and z-target+A to attack, because it's a lot easier. However, from what a friend told me, later on in the game you learn more sword moves and it becomes meaningful. The only sword move I learned so far is the finishing attack, which doesn't use motion sensing at all.
It's thinking...
ian
Young Null Warrior
Young Null Warrior

Re: Finnally got me a wii.

Post by ian »

Veggita2099 wrote: the Nintendo DS's over rated touch screen had me worried.
yes!!!!!

and for the record i get my wii in 4 days :P
It's a livin' thing, Its a terrible thing to lose.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

by next friday the thing is supposed to be out here in holland

i have no idea about the hype and the demand for it though, the TV adds started last week, but i doubt those adds are gonna cause long lines for the Wii. nor do i have any idea of the supply the shops will be getting

ill probably stroll into a few shops after work on friday and see if they have a Wii left, if they do, i might pick one up (too bad far cry isnt out on launch day), im certainly not gonna camp out or pre-order though, not enough exciting launch games imho (i know im a heretic, i am not psyched about zelda)
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Disheveled DrFreeze wrote:i have no idea about the hype and the demand for it though, the TV adds started last week, but i doubt those adds are gonna cause long lines for the Wii. nor do i have any idea of the supply the shops will be getting
I wouldn't count on that idea, most people around here figured "oh, I'll just stroll in after all the crazy two-week campers are gone and there is still stock left." Instead, people are STILL camping out for Wiis that are being advertised as being in stock on a certain day.
It's thinking...
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

Darcus Magnus wrote:
Disheveled DrFreeze wrote:i have no idea about the hype and the demand for it though, the TV adds started last week, but i doubt those adds are gonna cause long lines for the Wii. nor do i have any idea of the supply the shops will be getting
I wouldn't count on that idea, most people around here figured "oh, I'll just stroll in after all the crazy two-week campers are gone and there is still stock left." Instead, people are STILL camping out for Wiis that are being advertised as being in stock on a certain day.
well i know about that stuff, but the point is, here in holland there doesnt seem to be much of hype of any sort beside the few nintendo die-hards, im guessing we're mostly sony fanboys here (poorly informed ones at that, just cought some guys still buying a new PS2)

the thing is, even if i cant find a Wii for the first month, i wont really be broken up about it, the first must have Wii game on my list is smash bros. i do know however that ill be picking up a wii before the first price drop, so i might as well pick one up asap, im just not gonna stress about it

ill just see, if nintendo does sell out the first month here, good for them, ill be slightly dissapointed, but ive got enough to keep me occupied before i even get to gaming
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

I really want a Wii, but other than Zelda, can't say there are any games I really want. It had an "Alright" lauch lineup, certainly better than the PS3's, maybe better than the 360s but certainly not worse.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I see no reason the sword couldn't be used with the A button (it seems useless otherwise).
A does the jumping attack if no direction is pressed. I do agree though that at the point I'm at (just past the 2nd dungeon) the motion swinging is kind of pointless and would be better with a button. I'm curious what the old control scheme was before they switched to motion sword swinging, as every button on the controller is used pretty well now.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Pyrite
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Pyrite »

I'm waiting for the region lock to be broken to see if I have to import a system or if the Pal console will be able to play imports Wii/GC and also VC imports. I can't stand playing games running at 50Hz.

VC imports is also something I'm looking forward since we never got Mario RPG in Europe so there's some games that I wish to play in a real console with a nice pad and in native resolution like the original systems :-]
THAN/THEN get it right peoples!
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

Pyrite wrote:I'm waiting for the region lock to be broken to see if I have to import a system or if the Pal console will be able to play imports Wii/GC and also VC imports. I can't stand playing games running at 50Hz.
Many PAL GC games support 60Hz and some are even 60Hz only. I would be surprised if the Wii was any different.
"Nothing works" - Catweazle
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

toastman wrote:Wow.

I can't believe it either, after many many posts basically slating the Wii for various reasons (I don't think he's actually had a good word to say about it since it was announced has he?), not only does he buy one but he pays over the odds for one! Slightly hypocritical in my view but hey.

What's next? Ceeg buying a Wii and then complaining that not enough Wii games use the fantastic Wiimote? :o
Pyrite
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Pyrite »

Phantom wrote:
Pyrite wrote:I'm waiting for the region lock to be broken to see if I have to import a system or if the Pal console will be able to play imports Wii/GC and also VC imports. I can't stand playing games running at 50Hz.
Many PAL GC games support 60Hz and some are even 60Hz only. I would be surprised if the Wii was any different.
That's really cool didn't know that, does the PAL WaveRace Bluestorm run in 60Hz? I'm a WaveRace fanatic.

There's still the problem of the N64 on the virtual console, if PAL games run like the real PAL N64 system then it's a waste of a feature since we all know how slow it ran.
THAN/THEN get it right peoples!
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Matisfaction wrote:
toastman wrote:Wow.

I can't believe it either, after many many posts basically slating the Wii for various reasons (I don't think he's actually had a good word to say about it since it was announced has he?), not only does he buy one but he pays over the odds for one! Slightly hypocritical in my view but hey.

What's next? Ceeg buying a Wii and then complaining that not enough Wii games use the fantastic Wiimote? :o
To be fair, he has made a few posts recently indicating growing interest in the Wii.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Lartrak wrote:To be fair, he has made a few posts recently indicating growing interest in the Wii.
Fair play to the guy. He's got one and I hope he has a lot of fun with it, but to moan about the Wii for so long (Virtually in every Wii thread) only to then then go and pay over the odds for it is ever so slightly hypocritical don't you think?

Just reinforces my point about these people that will quite openly bash something without even trying it first. At least this Veggita guy gave the Wii a chance in the end and it sounds like he's glad he did.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

Imo, Nintendo planned a better launch for the wii than the gamecube..I just wish there were games other than zelda that I would be interested in; I would have also liked the wii to be available in different colors for the console. White is nice, but much like the ds lite, it would probably look better in Black.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Matisfaction wrote:
Lartrak wrote:To be fair, he has made a few posts recently indicating growing interest in the Wii.
Fair play to the guy. He's got one and I hope he has a lot of fun with it, but to moan about the Wii for so long (Virtually in every Wii thread) only to then then go and pay over the odds for it is ever so slightly hypocritical don't you think?

Just reinforces my point about these people that will quite openly bash something without even trying it first. At least this Veggita guy gave the Wii a chance in the end and it sounds like he's glad he did.
If im not mistaken I quit bashing it a before it came out. I do still think it should have been slightly more powerful. I was concerned about the controller, and there is still a lot of people who are concerned about it. I heard about how wonderful the Nintendo DS would be with a touchscreen as a controller and frankly it sucks (no way I could play through MArio 64 using that touch screen). I was afraid the Wii controller would have made games like Zelda too difficult to play.

The only thing have complained about in the past couple of months is the overpriced virtual console games and the difficult means of getting one (and that is something I still complain about). Also while I might have paid more then I should have I could easily make profit on it right now on ebay.

The way I look at it I could have gotten one two ways. I could have stood in line for 6+ hours at walmart for a CHANCE at one, or pay the extra 50 dollars which takes me about 3 hours to make at work. I would rather work 3 hours at work then stand in line for one.

About the only Virtual Console games I might consider getting would be SNES and N64 games that are somewhat rare or that use a battery. I have considered Simcity as most of the cartridges of that game are wearing thin on save battery life, and DReamcast can't emulate it worth playing. If I didn't have the Zelda collectors disc Id probably buy Zelda 1.

I also learned after posting this thread the spell checker in Firefox does not work in subject fields. :oops:
ian
Young Null Warrior
Young Null Warrior

Post by ian »

Veggita2099 wrote:I heard about how wonderful the Nintendo DS would be with a touchscreen as a controller and frankly it sucks.
are you free for dinner??
It's a livin' thing, Its a terrible thing to lose.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

Veggita2099 wrote:I heard about how wonderful the Nintendo DS would be with a touchscreen as a controller and frankly it sucks (no way I could play through MArio 64 using that touch screen).
Yes Mario64 sucks with the touchscreen, if that was the only DS game I'd played I'd say the touchscreen was a failure too. Tell me you've played another DS game though right? That's like saying the N64 was terrible after playing only Superman64.