Question about the Dreamcast reset problem...

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
zman
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Question about the Dreamcast reset problem...

Post by zman »

My question relating to the dreamcast restting problem is this.

For now it only happens when I play virtua tennis. None if my other games disturb the system. I notice it only happens during or right after a save event occurs or on arcade mode it happens somtimes on change of sides or the next event. The reset does not happen often, but today the frequency spead up until the machine was unusable. Which leads me to this theory. My port one connection is loose and this is where my save is going. I was wondering if the reset issue is more of a software error glitch then a hardware problem. I was unable to start the dreamcast again until I unplug all the ports. I'm shure I only needed to unplug port one as that is the save file port for my game. So I was wondering if the system gets confused and glitches to a reset do to an error on save with the loose port connection. I would be curious to know the default handlers on errors that was written for the bios.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Ex-Cyber »

This doesn't sound like "the reset problem" (as that term is normally used), and it definitely sounds like a hardware issue if you can't boot the DC again without unplugging the VMU. My first hunches would be a failing voltage regulator or bypass capacitor, but those are really just wild guesses.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer