How is the Devil May Cry series?

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Ceeg
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How is the Devil May Cry series?

Post by Ceeg »

I like pretty much every game capcom releases, but i never tried this one before and i just saw the three pack with all three games for 39.98 today and was wondering if i should try it out.

Anyway list pros and cons please.
XtremeWRATH-360 Gamertag
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

The first and the third in the sereies are great games, and I would definately recommend them. They are, however, very challenging, and they are mildly similer to the Resident Evil games prior to RE4...but of course much more fluid and fast-paced. If you like third-person action games, you'll probably like them.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

the games are cool. very stylized combat. other than that though...
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

The first DMC was a game I really wanted to like, and had tons of likable elements to it, but was just not fun to play. They had this wonderful concept with a ton of badass characters, but the gameplay just isn't fun.
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

My issue with the first DMC was there were a lot of dead moments, where you would walk around for five minutes with no enemies, and then all of a sudden, you would be assaulted by a never ending stream of them, and many times the enemies that spawned from the never ending stream were extremely challenging, so dying happened frequently until you got really good. I felt DMC3 had more consistent action, and while still extremely challenging, the difficulty ramped up at a slightly more tolerable rate.
Hawke
Wastelander

Post by Hawke »

DMC 3 is the best one by far.

Whats better than the DMC series however, is Legacy of Kain. Especially Defiance.

That game is king to all other action games <3
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

I helpled my friend beat DMC3 in doppleganger mode. I just sat there pounding buttons until whatever I was pointed at ended up dead. Seemed like thats what he was doing to. Infact that seems to be the whole point of the game.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I get the impression from some people that it is because I suck, but I didn't overall like DMC3. The regular enemies take way too long to kill, you just sit there and pound them forever before they finally die, and there are like a cajillion of the exact same kind. The bosses also have way too much health and in one or two cases took like a half hour to beat - it was very tedious to die on one boss after 20 minutes, and then there is no continue point, so I had to go through the WHOLE LEVEL of fairly easy, incredibly tough and very repetitive enemies....

I just sold it right after that.

I don't mind high difficulty in all cases - Battletoads is probably my all-time favorite NES game - but when the bosses and levels are soooo long it gets obnoxious and feels like a waste of time.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

I played the original Devil May Cry; and the gameplay was very unique at the time, as well as very fun.

You can probably find that one for like $5. Get it.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis »

I've only played Devil May Cry 3. I hear the first one was decent, but the second one blew hard.

I recommend that you stay the FUCK away from the original third one. ONLY get the special edition, because if you aren't a fantabular, crazy, insane gamer (like I'm not), this game will be hell.

I loved it so much, but it wasn't worth the hours of pain and anger just trying to get passed the third level. When I smashed my dualshock 2 controller to pieces, I decided that I had had enough.

I haven't touched it since. Get special edition.
Ceeg
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Ceeg »

Well thanks for all the input, i got the three pack 5th anniversary so im looking forward to trying them out.
XtremeWRATH-360 Gamertag
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

I thoroughly enjoyed all three of them. I never did pick up the DMC 3's greatest hits edition though as I wasn't too interested to play as Virgil. I kind of figured that since they made him such a bad @$$ in the original version, I figured they made him into a wussy when you played as him. My one gripe with the entire series was definitely with the third one as you don't get that feeling of getting stronger as you play through the game. Sure you get all the hearts and can increase your health meter, buy devil triggers, etc., but the enemies just don't die quicker. They only die quicker because you have mastered some great combos for laying them to waste. However, is it really such a bad thing? Not really. It falls under the category of hack & slash for a reason. If you want pin-point killing quickly, get yourself Resident Evil or an fps where you can go for head-shots until your heart is content.

The Legacy of Kain series is great if you like your hack & slash with puzzle elements spread out over an adventure. Both good series if you like your games on the dark side.
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Not really. It falls under the category of hack & slash for a reason.
They don't feel like hack & slash games in any way except for boring standard enemies though - and most hack and slash games don't require more than a tiny amount of twitch skill.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.