Please quickly explain running DS homebrew to me...

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Please quickly explain running DS homebrew to me...

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

My birthday is coming up and I'm thinking of getting a DS for myself and I'd really like to runs some of the emus on it. I already have a SuperCard CF for my GBA. I know that's part of it. Am I supposed to get a PassSomething? PassKey? I know there's a lot. What's the best right now? What fits in the DS slot the best without sticking out? Thanks.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
Been thanked: 0

Post by DaMadFiddler »

You still need to to be able to execute stuff at least once to get FlashMe on there, and it voids your warranty.

The easiest solution is a $15 card called a "NoPass" card. It's basically just a regular (unlicensed) DS cartridge that contains boot code, then tells the system to start executing software from the GBA slot. It's a normal DS card, so it won't protrude, and you don't have to do any crazy patches or cartrige-linking like you did with the early stuff.

The one I have is called the PassCard, though there are several brands being manufactured now, including the SuperPass and Datel's Max Media Launcher. They all do essentially the same thing, so just hunt around and see which one you can find cheapest.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Someone linked to this at #dcemu, it seems to be the best.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Thanks for the info. I definitely don't want the old DS style. I need the brighter, clearer screens. First, I nope I can convince my wife to let me buy myself a DS. Damn, that sounds bad. I just want to order the homebrew stuff first so I don't have to wait. The videos of the SNES emu for DS on YouTube look great. Starfox for crying out loud! Looked fullspeed too.
stagg
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by stagg »

http://www.modchipman.com/happy-g6-lite ... -1080.html

That is what I plan on getting, it is the G6 Lite, and the Passcard 3 Combo for only $110. Everything you need to get homebrew ready. I was also comtemplating getting the Supercard Black Lite, because of the expandable memory, But I should be just fine with the 4Gb, or 512MB on the G6 Lite.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Juan wrote:Someone linked to this at #dcemu, it seems to be the best.
Wow.. I'm going to get that sooner or later. Simple drag and drop over USB? all in a DS cartridge? No contest.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

From what I understand, that particular card (the DS-Xtreme) is the easiest method of running homebrew.

The disadvantage to that solution is that it's not expandable, and unlike the M3 and Supercard, you can't run GBA software. Plus, he said he already has a Supercard, and just needs a pass-through solution...so it would be much cheaper for him to buy a NoPass device and use his existing Supercard.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

DaMadFiddler wrote:The easiest solution is a $15 card called a "NoPass" card.
Who sells NoPass cards for $15? Everywhere I look they're $25 minimum.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Divineo carries the Passcard for $21, and SuccessHK (aka SuperUFO) has the Max Media Launcher for $23.50, though I could swear I've seen one of the varieties for less than that.

It seems like modchips and console homebrew/import equipment is getting harder to find, though...so that may be driving the prices up. A few years ago, I used to have a plain-vanilla EZFlash card for my GBA...I shopped around, and I got a really good price at SuccessHK. They don't even carry them any more. LikSang is where I first heard about flashcarts, and they haven't carried them for *years*.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

I've seen the passthrough devices for as cheap as $9 (for a PassMe1 clone, but the PassMe2 hardware is identical, just a different bitstream in the CPLD), but for any actual NoPass card it seems the price is a good bit higher.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

pixel wrote:
Wow.. I'm going to get that sooner or later. Simple drag and drop over USB? all in a DS cartridge? No contest.
That thing looks awesome! Looks so easy to use. Am I correct in saying they state it has a 512MB capacity?
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
stagg
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by stagg »

Skynet wrote:
pixel wrote:
That thing looks awesome! Looks so easy to use. Am I correct in saying they state it has a 512MB capacity?
Yea, if only it could run GBA roms I'd be sold!
Darksaviour69
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Darksaviour69 »

i don't know much about ds homebrew but, i have seen a good few posts at dcemu.co.uk complaining about the Datel's Max Media Launcher.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

stagg wrote:
Skynet wrote:
pixel wrote:
Well, it says it runs NDS roms. GBA doesn't bother me all that much as I only have a few GBA games and would keep it pretty legit ;) The idea of backing up my NDS games onto 1 cart is very tempting to me, simply so it's not a hassle switching carts, carrying them, etc. But I don't want to ruin this topic with talk of ROMs ;)
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

So let me see if I understand... The Passcard would work with my SuperCard CF, right? If so, I'll order it from Divineo ASAP.
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

K, that DS-Xtreme looks damn awesome - nice solution! Gotta try get me one of those O_O
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

stagg wrote:
Skynet wrote:
pixel wrote:
Future firmware updates? :dontknow:
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

wifime ftw
It's thinking...
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Juan wrote:
stagg wrote:Yea, if only it could run GBA roms I'd be sold!
Future firmware updates? :dontknow:
It would require a full-blown GBA emulator, because GBA mode runs directly from the GBA slot. Nothing in the GBA slot = no GBA mode.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

The DS Xtreme is exactly what I've been waiting for, since the beginning of DS homebrew. I'm unwilling to deal with having two seperate components, or flashing the DS, etc. I wanted a plug and play solution, and that looks to be the one. Too bad it costs so much.

Considering how little I've been playing video games lately, I'll probably hold off a while. BTW, what systems have been emulated on the DS which aren't on the GBA? SCUMM is on there isn't it? I've been meaning to try the SCUMM games for a while.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.