Capcom shuts down Clover Studio.

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Capcom shuts down Clover Studio.

Post by TyBO »

From http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=14082
Capcom Co. made a surprising announcement today regarding one of its most creative and innovative development studios. On the English page of the company's Japanese investor relations site, Capcom revealed plans to dissolve Clover Studio, the team behind the Viewtiful Joe games and most recently the critically acclaimed Okami. The dissolution is scheduled to take place at the end of the publisher's fiscal year next March. This news closely follows the releases of Okami and God Hand in North America.

"Clover Studio Co., Ltd. has met the goal of developing unique and creative original home video game software, however, in view of promoting a business strategy that concentrates management resources on a selected business to enhance the efficiency of the development power of the entire Capcom group, the dissolution of Clover Studio Co., Ltd. has been raised and passed at a Board of Directors' meeting," Capcom said in a statement.

As part of the announcement, Capcom also noted that it's revised the company's earnings forecast to reflect 400 million yen in "extraordinary losses" related to the forthcoming closure of Clover Studio.

Headed by Atsushi Inaba, Clover Studio was formed in July 2004, and while many of its games have been critically lauded and have had a hardcore following, the company has unfortunately not had much commercial success.

It's not clear what the future holds for this talented Japanese development team. However, one rumor suggests that it was actually the team that wanted to break away from Capcom. According to Chris Kohler's Game|Life blog an anonymous source indicated that Clover members have decided to form their own independent development studio. If that's the case, then at least we'll likely see more unique games from this group in the future. Whether or not they'd be published by Capcom is another matter.
Very sad to hear. I loved Viewtiful Joe, and was looking forward to getting Okami when/if the price dropped to $20. They seemed like a really creative studio, which there can never be enough of in the game industry.

Oh well...
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

I think companies just have something against making non-shitty games. Ever notice it's all the good games that come in singles and are often overlooked, while all the floppers have 10 sequels nobody asked for?
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Freaky Keneaki wrote:Ever notice it's all the good games that come in singles and are often overlooked, while all the floppers have 10 sequels nobody asked for?
Almost every game gets a sequel nowaday.
Hawke
Wastelander

Post by Hawke »

all because of God Hand - What a terrible game.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

THEY SHUT DOWN THE COMPANY THAT MADE OKAMI!?!?1? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

That game was perhaps the most impressive use of the PS2 hardware, and the closest thing that Sony had to a true Zelda-killer, and now the company has been dissolved. This is horrible news!
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

"It's not clear what the future holds for this talented Japanese development team. However, one rumor suggests that it was actually the team that wanted to break away from Capcom. According to Chris Kohler's Game|Life blog an anonymous source indicated that Clover members have decided to form their own independent development studio. If that's the case, then at least we'll likely see more unique games from this group in the future. Whether or not they'd be published by Capcom is another matter."

Doesn't seem like they'll be bowing out. Viewtiful Joe was really overrated, anyway.
Very sexy hero, omg
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Re: Capcom shuts down Clover Studio.

Post by butters »

TyBO wrote: Very sad to hear. I loved Viewtiful Joe, and was looking forward to getting Okami when/if the price dropped to $20. They seemed like a really creative studio, which there can never be enough of in the game industry.

Oh well...
I hate to always be negative, but that attitude is what keeps companies from producing quality games.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

butters wrote:
TyBO wrote: Very sad to hear. I loved Viewtiful Joe, and was looking forward to getting Okami when/if the price dropped to $20. They seemed like a really creative studio, which there can never be enough of in the game industry.

Oh well...
I hate to always be negative, but that attitude is what keeps companies from producing quality games.
Price drops or creativity?
It's thinking...
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

Darcus Magnus wrote:
butters wrote:

Oh well...
If everyone waits until it drops to $20, or buys the used copy, then the game makers lose their incentive to produce quality games; especially when they can pump out the same old shit every year (EA) and make a fortune.
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

butters wrote:
Darcus Magnus wrote:
butters wrote:

Oh well...
If everyone waits until it drops to $20, or buys the used copy, then the game makers lose their incentive to produce quality games; especially when they can pump out the same old shit every year (EA) and make a fortune.
Thus why the incentive is to make a game that you CAN'T wait for -- i.e., you must buy it, regardless of price.

Personally, while Okami looks amazing, I cannot justify paying $50 for it right now. I still have games such as Zelda: WW and Shadow of the Colossus that are brand new and still wrapped. Thus, it makes little sense for me to buy Okami for $50, regardless of how brilliant it is. However, I will probably pick it up and add it to my stack when it hits a lower price point.

I think there are a lot more "good" games out on the market than people think, and going through the backlog can mean that great games go unnoticed. Such is the way of economics and business.

Plus, I'm sure a lot of people looked at Okami and were like "it looks like anime, ghey" and ignored it.
Very sexy hero, omg
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

melancholy wrote:THEY SHUT DOWN THE COMPANY THAT MADE OKAMI!?!?1? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

That game was perhaps the most impressive use of the PS2 hardware, and the closest thing that Sony had to a true Zelda-killer, and now the company has been dissolved. This is horrible news!
I actually read the title and thought Mel is crying right now...
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by TyBO »

butters wrote:
Darcus Magnus wrote:
butters wrote:

Oh well...
Yeah, I did feel a bit guilty for not fully supporting a company that makes good original games, but in my own defense, new video games are really freaking expensive. I can't go about spending $40-$50 on a whim every time I see a game that looks good.
Hawke
Wastelander

Post by Hawke »

EA
It's in the game
(you bought last year)

/yay for PA!