"We would have shot him more"

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

"We would have shot him more"

Post by Roofus »

A fugitive gunman accused of killing a Florida sheriff?s deputy was shot 68 times by SWAT team officers who found him hiding in the woods, according to autopsy results.

Police fired 110 shots at Angilo Freeland, 27, the target of a massive manhunt in central Florida following the shooting death of Polk County Sheriff?s Deputy Matt Williams Thursday.

?That?s all the bullets we had, or we would have shot him more,? Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd told the Orlando Sentinel newspaper.

Judd said Williams was ?executed? after Freeland was pulled over in a routine traffic stop on Thursday. Another deputy was wounded and a police dog killed.

Williams, 39, was shot eight times?one bullet fired at close range behind the deputy?s right ear and another in his right temple, according to autopsy results released on Saturday by the sheriff?s office.

Sheriff?s officials said SWAT team members found Freeland on Friday hiding under a fallen oak tree in a wooded area near where the deputies were shot, and began firing when they saw a gun in his hand.

Link
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

I think the most disturbing thing about that article isn't that the police wanted to fire more shots at the gun man, but that a mere 62 per cent of their shots actually hit him.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

You know, I really hope that in becoming judge, jury, and executioner, they at least got the actual murderer. :|
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Yeah, due process of law gets tossed out the window when people start shooting cops.
No signature.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

I can understand their sentement, but I certainly don't respect it.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Who cares? The fucker is dead, that's all we need to know.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Freaky Keneaki wrote:Who cares? The fucker is dead, that's all we need to know.

You're assuming he's a fucker. They might have gotten the right guy this time, but doing this and making it okay makes it more likely for a mistake to happen in the future.
It's thinking...
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Darcus Magnus wrote:

You're assuming he's a fucker. They might have gotten the right guy this time, but doing this and making it okay makes it more likely for a mistake to happen in the future.
Sure, but if they didn't shoot him he would have escaped and killed more people. Think of it that way. Sure it's dangerous to just shoot blindly like that for someone they think "might" be the guy, but in this case it was and they saved the day.

He killed a dog. A dog. The bastard deserves to burn in hell.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Freaky Keneaki wrote:
Darcus Magnus wrote:

Sure, but if they didn't shoot him he would have escaped and killed more people. Think of it that way. Sure it's dangerous to just shoot blindly like that for someone they think "might" be the guy, but in this case it was and they saved the day.

He killed a dog. A dog. The bastard deserves to burn in hell.
Now factor in how many innocent people will be shot and killed in the same way because other law enforcement thinks it's okay to play judge. If it became okay because of issues like this not being taken care of it will very easily be much higher than how many people this guy could've killed.

I also think that it's evident these guys are off their rocker a bit when they say they would've shot him more if they could.
It's thinking...
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

Surely you train you're SWAT teams better then that... They should have been able to take him out in a non lethal capacity, and if not kill him in a couple shots...

Oh it was in America you say ? I Understand..
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
ian
Young Null Warrior
Young Null Warrior

Post by ian »

ace wrote:I think the most disturbing thing about that article isn't that the police wanted to fire more shots at the gun man, but that a mere 62 per cent of their shots actually hit him.

:guffaw:
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

ace wrote:I can understand their sentement, but I certainly don't respect it.
I wasn't trying to justify or condone the actions taken by the police. I was just pointing out why they decided to kill on sight.
I agree that it is an unfair double standard. And it is indicitave of a much larger problem: the fact that police "protect their own".
No signature.
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

"The same with the gangbangers on the street, the police are just a gang unto themselves. With the good and the bad, same as the gangbangers on the street" -Tupac
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Post by AgentGreen »

ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

perry wrote:Surely you train you're SWAT teams better then that... They should have been able to take him out in a non lethal capacity, and if not kill him in a couple shots...

That's the whole point... They could have taken him down him down in a non-lethal manner. Instead, they chose to fire countless rounds (missing nearly half the time, mind you) into him as "retribution" for the deputy this fugitive murdered earlier.
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

ace wrote:
perry wrote:Surely you train you're SWAT teams better then that... They should have been able to take him out in a non lethal capacity, and if not kill him in a couple shots...

That's the whole point... They could have taken him down him down in a non-lethal manner. Instead, they chose to fire countless rounds (missing nearly half the time, mind you) into him as "retribution" for the deputy this fugitive murdered earlier.
And they should face be under investigation..
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

AgentGreen wrote:Image
Beaten to it, ah well
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

To be fair, at least he had a gun in his hand. No, that still isn't really ok (from everything we have read, there is no sign he threatened them in any way), but it is at least marginally better than straight-up execution.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

I read a different article that said he stole the gun from the officer he killed, then raised it when the officers surrounded him in the bush he was hiding in.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061001/ap_ ... y_shooting
Deth2k7
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Deth2k7 »

This happened about 20 minutes away from me,we are going over the case in Law Studies.