FAZE needs beta-testers

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

FAZE needs beta-testers

Post by Juan »

[url=http://www.dciberia.net/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=535]Chui@DCIberia[/url] (partially translated) wrote:Fox and I have been working hard on FAZE for the past few days and we have it in a pretty advanced state.

But we need beta-testers to find problems testing .Z80 snapshots that work on other emulators but not on ZX4ALL/FAZE.

You can download ZX4ALL/FAZE HERE, and you can let us know the problems at my mail: sdl_gp32@yahoo.es
There's also a couple of videos:

"Working on FAZE"
"Dreamcast ZX4ALL with FAZE"
Christuserloeser
Been thanked: 0

Post by Christuserloeser »

OMFG! This is some GREAT news ! :kiss)
Insane homebrew collector.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Spiffy, hopefully it isn't just based on RAZE. I can't wait to test this out :D
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer
Has thanked: 0

Post by emptythought »

Can someone remind me what exactly FAZE is?
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

It's a port of the x86 asm Z80 cpu core to sh4 for the Dreamcast. An alpha was released some time ago with 'zx4all' chui's spectrum emulator. It is supposed to end up being faster than CZ80, but atm, CZ80 is so small that the speed will probably not end up surpassing it to a point where the bugs are acceptable.

I think it's a great effort, but that it's time that could be better spent elsewhere.

oh, and if anyone thinks that's flaming i don't know what i'll do. :mrgreen: :kiss) :| )()(
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Christuserloeser

I am just ignoring your last sentence. :P

Quzar wrote:An alpha was released some time ago with 'zx4all' chui's spectrum emulator.
Wow, I wasn't aware of that.
Quzar wrote:It is supposed to end up being faster than CZ80, but atm, CZ80 is so small that the speed will probably not end up surpassing it to a point where the bugs are acceptable.
Then let's hope that this point might be reached soon ;)
Chui
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Why not?

Post by Chui »

Quzar wrote: It is supposed to end up being faster than CZ80, but atm, CZ80 is so small that the speed will probably not end up surpassing it to a point where the bugs are acceptable.
CZ80 is not stable now, games like 'PACMAN' not run under MAME4ALL using CZ80, but works fine using FAZE now.

About speed, MAME4ALL profiler shows that FAZE is more faster (x2 aprox) than CZ80 now with CPS1 games.

And only its the begining, Fox will make this core much faster optimizing it much more.
Christuserloeser

Re: Why not?

Chui wrote:CZ80 is not stable now, games like 'PACMAN' not run under MAME4ALL using CZ80, but works fine using FAZE now.
That's what I thought could have been causing some problems in GenesisPlusDC too...
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

NICE! Sounds good, Chui and team are always doing something exciting. This is just a guess on my part, I can see a New "mame4all" coming soon possibly with this faster core.

OFFTOPIC:Why does the sound on arcade games on Dreamcast sound fuzzy or unclear, Always wondered why?
Have you played dreamcast today?
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Chui wrote:
Quzar wrote: It is supposed to end up being faster than CZ80, but atm, CZ80 is so small that the speed will probably not end up surpassing it to a point where the bugs are acceptable.
CZ80 is not stable now, games like 'PACMAN' not run under MAME4ALL using CZ80, but works fine using FAZE now.

About speed, MAME4ALL profiler shows that FAZE is more faster (x2 aprox) than CZ80 now with CPS1 games.

And only its the begining, Fox will make this core much faster optimizing it much more.
I used it for a single game space invaders project, as well as in smsplus (but due to the way the core is written it didn't give any kind of useful speedup) and never had ANY problems with it. I would suspect that you aren't using it properly if you can't get pacman to run with it, or that it is some other bug with mame4all.
Christuserloeser

While that's certainly possible (as no one and nothing is perfect), I assumed that CZ80 could have been causing problems with a few games in GenesisPlusDC that weren't caused by FAME nor C68K.

I for myself can't wait to see (hear) if FAZE will allow sound emulation at 48khz and FM2413 support in SMSplusDC :)
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Christuserloeser wrote:I for myself can't wait to see (hear) if FAZE will allow sound emulation at 48khz and FM2413 support in SMSplusDC :)
That's what I was looking for with CZ80, but due to the extensive use of bankswitching by the sms, it didn't help. If FAZE's interfaces are similar FAME's then odds are it won't be able to help either =(.
Chui
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Chui »

Quzar wrote: I used it for a single game space invaders project, as well as in smsplus (but due to the way the core is written it didn't give any kind of useful speedup) and never had ANY problems with it. I would suspect that you aren't using it properly if you can't get pacman to run with it, or that it is some other bug with mame4all.
Stef told me that CZ80 is not stable yet, he was very surprised that neo4all works with CZ80 and works but with problems.

For mame4all i only used CZ80 for CPS1 and SYSTEM16 games because only it is used like sound cpu, when we used it for 8-bit games, Z80 is the main cpu, some games not works, it is a fact.

About speed, CZ80 is not very fast like C68K but it is a small core.
Christuserloeser

Quzar wrote:
Christuserloeser wrote:I for myself can't wait to see (hear) if FAZE will allow sound emulation at 48khz and FM2413 support in SMSplusDC :)
That's what I was looking for with CZ80, but due to the extensive use of bankswitching by the sms, it didn't help. If FAZE's interfaces are similar FAME's then odds are it won't be able to help either =(.
Do you actually have the complete source code including the menu data of SMSplusDC ? I have something from the menu stuff, I'd even say most of it. Here's everything I got (straight from my DEP: S8 Edition workplace for the forthcoming update):

http://www.dcevolution.net/dsdevelopmen ... ection.rar

Please let Heliophobe know if you actually decide to work on SMSplusDC. I am sure he (and Pascal) would be interested in contributing some things to an update that includes FM support.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Christuserloeser wrote:
Quzar wrote:
Do you actually have the complete source code including the menu data of SMSplusDC ? I have something from the menu stuff, I'd even say most of it. Here's everything I got (straight from my DEP: S8 Edition workplace for the forthcoming update):

http://www.dcevolution.net/dsdevelopmen ... ection.rar

Please let Heliophobe know if you actually decide to work on SMSplusDC. I am sure he (and Pascal) would be interested in contributing some things to an update that includes FM support.
I talked to Pascal about it a long time ago (about a year ago) and actually rewrote a bit of it to use CZ80 along with upporting the whole thing to kos svn12*. The problem is that CZ80 caused massive slowdown in many games because it wasn't designed to have to do a lot of bankswitching.