Difference between SMD and BIN

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
wildonrio
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Difference between SMD and BIN

Post by wildonrio »

Some of the Genesis roms are in .smd format and others are in .bin. It seems like .bin is more standard - can I just go to DOS and do a mass rename of all .smd to .bin, or do I need to actually convert them, as simply renaming them will make them unreadable?
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

I always assumed that smd files are in a copier format (Super Magic Drive), while bins are raw dumps. GoodGen v3 can mass convert and rename them if you wish.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Exactly right - .BIN is a raw dump, .SMD is an interleaved format designed for copiers. Basically SMD format is designed to be simple to load one floppy sector at a time while running on an 8-bit bus (i.e. SMS compatibility mode, which allowed manufacturers to use a single cheap 8-bit EPROM for the BIOS). An emulator should look at the file itself rather than just the extension to determine the ROM format, but even so it's a bad idea to just rename to .bin because it's misleading.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
wildonrio
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by wildonrio »

Juan, thanks for the help with the new GoodGen, I did have an older version. The mass converting for some reason still doesn't work, I guess it's a bug they need to fix. I type "goodgen convert" just like the syntax says and it scans for like 5 minutes, and then does nothing. Weird.
JohnnyB
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by JohnnyB »

And here I was renaming them to .bin all this time. What about .gen?
wildonrio
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by wildonrio »

When I had goodgen do a mass rename, it made a bunch of .gen files. They were all just duplicates of an already existing .bin files so I just deleted them all. I don't know anything about .gen is what I'm getting at here.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

.gen are just renamed bins for the sake of GoodTools naming :mrgreen: