I sometimes hate my job.

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I sometimes hate my job.

Post by Eckostyle »

Some customers are idiots.

We advertised this new Acer laptop in our weekly circular. It's nothing special, 14 in screen, 256MB RAM, 40gb HDD, 1.5GHz Celeron, but the allure of it that the price was $480 flat. No rebates, no bullshit. And the fact the thing looks pretty spiffy. For people that are casual computer users, this is an awesome value. We recieved 40 of laptops last morning(and 30 of one laptop is friggin insane, we usually have no more 10) just in time for the sale. Like the XBOX360, people were lined up outside the store before the store opened. 10AM, people rushed in and bought the laptops. First come, first serve.

Now, if you're a regular shopper at a store like this, you'd have enough common sense to realize that a laptop on sale for less than $500 will not last past it's first day, hence why we recieved a whopping 40 of then. We were fresh out of the laptops by 11:30 that morning, an hour and a half after we opened. Fortunately, people that diddnt/couldnt arrive at the store on time(People in this town are pretty intelligent when it comes to shopping[wealthy], many of them are smart shoppers) had enough common sense to realize they wouldnt get the laptop until we restock later this week. They were nice enough to call first, were not upset, and understanding of the situation.

Except for one jackass.

A middle-aged guy came in at 8PM, pushed his way through the crowd in the camera department rather rudely, and saw me in the laptop aisle, and started yelling "Hey!! Give me this laptop!!!" while shoving the circular in my face and jabbing the picture with his finger. Me and the other associates were with other customers, so I had to ask him to wait. He wouldnt have it. He whined and said "Forget this schmuck, I'm buying something". The woman I was helping became furious, blasted on him, and put the ass in his place. I finsiehd up with her litterally 4 min later, and flagged the guy down. He went back to jabbing the circular. Since I already knew, I had to tell him we were out of stock, and he would have to wait until we recieved more of the laptop(and also the 6 closest stores were out), which would at best be Tuesday or Wednesday. He instantly accused me and the store of a deliberate bait and switch, and demanded to speak to the manager. I let him know he'd recieve the the same response, so I called my manager. One thing about my manager, he dosent buckle down to anyone. He's by-the-book, and wont take garbage from anyone.

He came over, and told him the same news. We're out of stock, and we will be recieving more later in the week for the same price. He threw his circular at him, cussed insanely, and spouted out

"HOW CAN YOU ADVERTISE SOMETHING YOU DONT HAVE?!?!?! I'M CALLING THE BBB, THIS IS ILLEGAL!!!"

Being out of stock on an item is not illegal. You missed out.

Now, someone this guy's age should have some common sense. We advertised the laptop, it was a closeout sale, we HAD the laptops here ready for sale, and we simply ran out. I explained this to him and the fact that we had THIRTY ready to go today, and that he was just untimely and he'd have to wait. He wouldnt take it, and demanded he get one of the laptops, or he would not leave the store and threatened to interfere with us until he did. My manager had to explain the entire concept three times before shouting "We cant make a laptop appear out of thin air. We had them, we sold out, you'll have to wait till Tuesday. Sorry, I'm sorry, but theres nothing else I can say." He still wouldnt have it. He then demanded to get a $1500 Toshiba laptop as compensation for the same price. Incredible.

We then asked him to leave the store, and call Circuit City's main number if he had any more disputes, as he was interrupting and disturbing other customers(who ere getting pissed with this guy). He then punched the display model(which amazingly diddnt break), called me a "theiving n*igger" then the manager a "balding a*shole sp*c", tore our name tags off, and stormed out of the store, pushing us and other customers(including an old lady with a cane who had to be at least 80) aside. He was harassing the store with phone calls the next morning for quite a while, some of them threats. Over a laptop he'd would have been able to get today without any trouble.

And we were being polite with this guy.

:?
Last edited by Eckostyle on Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

wow. just...wow.
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Post by AgentGreen »

Did he look like a lonely guy, wore sweatpants, and smelled of hot sauce, feet, and cheese?

Reminds me of when I worked at PetCo and some fat ugly trailer-trash lady was giving me hell because I reccomended that she didn't get an algae eater for her 2 GALLON betta tank.
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

Seeing as he touched you, I would have called the cops. Hell, just for the harrassing phone calls I would have.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Sounds like a typical Day-After-Thanksgiving/console launch to me. The only difference is that this is neither of those situations. Still, when you work in retail long enough, this really isn't anything new. My personal favorite is when people act like this when they come in on a Friday or Saturday asking about a huge sale item in last Sunday's ad. Those are the true idiots.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

AgentGreen wrote:Did he look like a lonely guy, wore sweatpants, and smelled of hot sauce, feet, and cheese?

Reminds me of when I worked at PetCo and some fat ugly trailer-trash lady was giving me hell because I reccomended that she didn't get an algae eater for her 2 GALLON betta tank.
so you were getting crap for trying to save her money?
JellyWarrior
General Jelly
General Jelly

Post by JellyWarrior »

lol yea that's just crazy. It's a pitty that you work in a store and you have to maintain a level of professionalism, otherwise you could have told him what kind of looser he was and kocked him flat on his arse.

You'll get the final laugh when he finally buys the laptop and finds out that it won't run Quake 4 at 1600 x 1200.

I have a client who always picks up these cheap bargain basement models. At first I thought that he was crazy, but then again, if all it needs to run is Word and MYOB there isn't much point in getting a wizz bang notebook. I just hate getting the cheap pieces of crap working on their LAN.
I am involved in : Mytalk | Comet TV | Distinctive Web Services
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

melancholy wrote:Sounds like a typical Day-After-Thanksgiving/console launch to me. The only difference is that this is neither of those situations. Still, when you work in retail long enough, this really isn't anything new. My personal favorite is when people act like this when they come in on a Friday or Saturday asking about a huge sale item in last Sunday's ad. Those are the true idiots.
Yeah, I sympathize with you Eckostyle, but I see this kind of thing all the time. It's usually even worse for me because I'm management :?

If he was creating such a disturbance though, you really should have called the cops.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

I would've kept my patience until the "thieving n--" bit. I applaud you for staying calm.
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by Lyris »

What an absolute dick. Some customers are just very stupid though. And stupid people and social diseases go together like cookies and milk.

Back when I used to work for what's basically the UK equivalent of CC, they were selling DVD players at a knockdown price. Cheap crappy ones, but DVD players nonetheless. That was in late 2003 when they cost a little more. So, some woman came in and look at me when I told her we were out of stock like I had purposefully screwed her over.

She said, "I'll bet this is a scam! I bet you knew you'd be out of stock and got me down here to spend money on other things in your shop!".

To which I replied "Judging by the knockdown price, I'd assume that was the business intention, yes". Come on, anyone can work that out.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

After he physically touched you or other customers, I wouldn't have let him leave the store. I would've had him placed where you keep your shoplifters and gotten the cops in for assault and harassment.
No signature.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I can see where he would be pissed and he was probably onto the right idea as far as the Bait and Switch goes. I know Walmart pulled a deal like that last thanksgiving sale. They offered a laptop for $400 no rebates. However what was BS about WAlmarts deal is they only had liek 5 per store and they hid them in sporting goods. Really the only people who got them was friends of employees if you ask me.

But anyways there was no excuse for that. I honestly will never work another job that I have to deal with customers. I could write a book about the dumbasses, jerks, and overall loathsome people I dealt with just working Fast Food. I mean you got dumbasses who would sit there for 45 minutes talking to friends/family then get mad when the french fries was cold. Yea you sit there for almsot a hour they are not going to be pipeing hot. Had the women who claimed I ruined her life because she bought a chicken sandwich and claimed it didn't taste right. They gave her a full refund and tried to give her another sandwich, aanother order of french fries (she ate all the ones she had)y, and another drink. OF course this fat middle aged bitch wouldn't actually walk in, she had to sit in her car like the fat ass she was and hold up the drive thru. She expected them to give her the money back plus $5 for gas. Also to top it off she ate about 90% of the sandwich before she brought it back, so it must not have been THAT bad. Manager finnally had to shut the drive through window and walk off, she finnally drived off (and of course was too lazy to actualyl walk in).

Anyways yea I feel your pain.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I havent quite had anyone that bad in my store yet. You do get some complete assholes though. You say "
"HOW CAN YOU ADVERTISE SOMETHING YOU DONT HAVE?!?!?! I'M CALLING THE BBB, THIS IS ILLEGAL!!!"

Being out of stock on an item is not illegal. You missed out. "

In america do your adverts, whether paper, radio or tv, etc. say "While stocks last?" Because they do here yet people still try to pull the "illegal" crap too. Or "where available" is another one too. If it's not available, how can you sell it?
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

See I love people like this. They never make me mad, I always end up laughing about it after they leave. Maybe even get in an impersionation while I am at it.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

I love how they think that they're entitled to stores and bargains as if it were a public service. This happens especially often at Wal-Mart.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Yes, it was during my tenure at Wal-Mart that I developed my theory about one's sense of self-entitlement.
No signature.
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Post by AgentGreen »

Covar wrote:
AgentGreen wrote:Did he look like a lonely guy, wore sweatpants, and smelled of hot sauce, feet, and cheese?

so you were getting crap for trying to save her money?
Saving her money? I was saving her fish! Algae eaters grow very fast and the ones we had were already too big for such a tank. And once they run out of food, they take a liking to the slime coat of other fish which can kill a fish.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

Jackarses like that are why I spent most of my initial time in retail working overnight (at target; wlamart; and toys r' us)

Since then, I've been able to cope...
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

Customers on their own are retarded. I never ask a employee for help I always get it myself, the person has more to do then wasting their time with me lol.

I had a guy storm out cuz we didn't have the flat screen tv he wanted. Called the Cashier a Fukking bitch for no reason at all,over a stupid Tv. People like those deserve to get punched or at least strangled.
Have you played dreamcast today?
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by Eckostyle »

Self-entitlement is something customers always have, and I've gotten to the point where I love saying "We do not negotiate prices". Sometimes, on big ticket items($1700-$2000 laptops) I can understand why the person is asking, but when people who want price breaks on cheaper items(the $300-$600 desktops we sell) for as much as $200, I just find it amazing. Ironically, some of the more wealthy shoppers buy cheap computers and throw a fit when they dont get a break on it. It's worse when they ask me(repeatedly) to use my employee discount for them.

I wonder why people think I should that for them. :P