The Ascension Of Vigil

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Post by law56ker »

wow big oldschool boss.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
Been thanked: 0

Post by mankrip »

law56ker wrote:He kinda has a zelda look to him:)
Do you mean he looks like a woman? :wink:
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Imerion
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Imerion »

Big bosses is the shi*! Thats how they're supposed to be!
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Fragger wrote:
law56ker wrote:He kinda has a zelda look to him:)
Do you mean he looks like a woman? :wink:
I like women :P

I think the model is nice, and that boss looks ass kicking!
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

You know what i meant i meant link.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Any updates?
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Working on levels, that's all.
Last edited by Tyne on Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
Gav-X
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gav-X »

This is really looking like a great oldschool-type brawler. The graphics are amazing, didn't know the Quake engine had so much going for it. I especially love the second tower picture, the lighting is amazing.

If a Dreamcast version is made, will it be able to use the DC's antialiasing capabilities? Also, have you started considering CD and case label designs?
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Gav-X wrote:This is really looking like a great oldschool-type brawler. The graphics are amazing, didn't know the Quake engine had so much going for it. I especially love the second tower picture, the lighting is amazing.

If a Dreamcast version is made, will it be able to use the DC's antialiasing capabilities? Also, have you started considering CD and case label designs?
Thanks for the comments, appreciated! I always love hearing this stuff as it drives me to work faster / harder on completion.

The DC's anti-aliasing will only work if the engine supports it in the first place, it will look a lot uglier compared to the PC Version however as none of the engines use the PowerVR2 (Well, QuakeDC does - but it's buggy) and the framerates are unplayable; this is why I'm releasing a DC version that is basically stripped down (or I should say... neutered).

I haven't considered CD art or designs at all, I'm not an artist so the only way there will ever be one is if someone makes it. I'd would however prefer hand drawn art instead of screen captures and filters applied (like the Envenom CD case)! Ofcourse this requires someone who can draw.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
Gav-X
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gav-X »

So, none of the quake engines can use the powervr2...:(.
I am completely null at drawing, but I can probably have someone's look into it.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Gav-X wrote:So, none of the quake engines can use the powervr2...:(.
I am completely null at drawing, but I can probably have someone's look into it.
QuakeDC. Which is horrible and probably couldn't run TAoV.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Gav-X wrote:The graphics are amazing, didn't know the Quake engine had so much going for it. I especially love the second tower picture, the lighting is amazing.
Agreed. I can't believe it's not butter!... err... another engine rather than Quake.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Tower is coming along nicely!
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

I've decided to change TAoV's scope a tad.
Relics will now be a big part of TAoV, what are relics?

Well, Vigil can no longer do the following:
- Grab Ledges
- Wall Run
- Double Jump
- Spin Slash Double Jump
- Wall Grab
etc.

However, finding relics hidden throughout the game will allow you to gain these abilities back and most (except Spin Slash) are required to gain access to beat the final boss. As you gain these relics you're able to explore more of the world!

Also, most levels are now going to be connected back and forth so you can keep gaining experience and leveling up.

Yeah, big changes. The good news all these changes are easy to incorporate and the relic system already totally done!

I'm currently thinking of more ideas I'd like to share:
- Village.bsp is now a town you can use as a safe haven?
- Monsters drop gold, buying upgrades?
- A few NPCs to chat with?

Comments? :)
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Tyne wrote:- Village.bsp is now a town you can use as a safe haven?
- A few NPCs to chat with?
Ooh. You're adding in adventure elements. Sounds good to me. :thumbsup:
Imerion
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Imerion »

Relics? Sounds like the new Prince of Persia-games. If I remember right, you had to find certain items to be able to perfeorm certain moves. But I like the idea! More adventure-elements sounds good. I especially like the village/upgrades/npcs-ideas. Makes it feel like the classic side scrolling adventure Wonder Boy (which is one of my favorite games btw). Id say go for it, it will probably mean more interesting gameplay.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

NES' Kick Master just came to mind. The more "unlockables" the better.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

My computer is acting up, XP won't boot properly most of the time and it's running slow as heck; I'm going to reformat so progress will stop for a day or less. :\

Damn computer.

[Edit] As soon as I removed Avast AntiVirus it seemed to have fixed everything, weird! Anyway, I'm gonna be extra cautious for the time being and keep backing up regularly! Files seem to be corrupting at times too, is my HD dying?
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Tyne wrote:My computer is acting up, XP won't boot properly most of the time and it's running slow as heck; I'm going to reformat so progress will stop for a day or less. :\

Damn computer.

[Edit] As soon as I removed Avast AntiVirus it seemed to have fixed everything, weird! Anyway, I'm gonna be extra cautious for the time being and keep backing up regularly! Files seem to be corrupting at times too, is my HD dying?
I had a very similar problem about four years ago; turns out, the motherboard's onboard IDE controller was defective. Fortunately the computer was still under warranty at that point, and they replaced the board for me. My data was still damaged, though, and I lost a lot of stuff.

Unfortunately, the replacement board was only good for about three years before it started doing the same thing. Perhaps it was a flaw in that line? (I don't think you have to worry about that, though; it was a first-generation P4 which used RAMBUS, and those aren't really available any more).
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Well my XP is acting slow overall since I haven't formatted in about 3 years so I figure I might as well, and it seems the longer you have windows the slower it keeps getting. :\

My computer is doing the following:

- Hangs on scandsk at 25% when windows boots, otherwise I have to cancel
- Boots slow and the start menu and bar takes forever to load
- Corrupted files on hard drive from time to time
- When left idle for a few hours it freezes
- Randomly hangs trying to load the windows start screen, yet after I removed Avast AntiVirus it seemed to fix it...

Anyway, yeah.. format time! I just hope the corrupted file issue isn't the hard drive dying and me deciding to stay with FAT32 instead of NTSF.