Do you smoke?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Ceeg
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Ceeg »

never touched one in my life and never will.
popley
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by popley »

yes, about a pack a day.

reds.
"It's only after we've lost everything, that we are truly free to do anything." Fight Club

http://www.geocities.com/nesterdcgamecodes
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Kenichi wrote:
arrowhead wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:No. Not because its unhealthy, or expensive, or whatever, but because it tastes like crap. I dont how anybody could find breathing in burning fumes enjoyable, and it certainly doesnt relax me in any possible way.

I cant wait for the no smoking in public legislation to come into effect. That will be a great day.
I have never smoked a cigarette before, and I probably never will. But the one time I puffed on a vanilla falavored cigar.....it tasted really good. I havent smoked another one since because it did taste so good, I dont want to get addicted. So, no smoke for me.
I don't think you can get addicted to cigars. Unless of course you smoke them like cigarettes, which would be pricey let alone stupid.
You can get addicted to any tabacco product.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Thomas wrote:
Kenichi wrote:
arrowhead wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:No. Not because its unhealthy, or expensive, or whatever, but because it tastes like crap. I dont how anybody could find breathing in burning fumes enjoyable, and it certainly doesnt relax me in any possible way.

I cant wait for the no smoking in public legislation to come into effect. That will be a great day.
I have never smoked a cigarette before, and I probably never will. But the one time I puffed on a vanilla falavored cigar.....it tasted really good. I havent smoked another one since because it did taste so good, I dont want to get addicted. So, no smoke for me.
I don't think you can get addicted to cigars. Unless of course you smoke them like cigarettes, which would be pricey let alone stupid.
But the reason you get addicted to cigs is usually because they're cheap and don't take long to smoke. Cigars are expensive and take awhile to smoke, you don't smoke them like cigs. You'd actually have to push yourself to get addicted to something like that.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

popley wrote:yes, about a pack a day.

reds.
Reds = a slooooow, painful death. I've never smoked one, just going by what I've heard.
popley
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by popley »

thanks.
"It's only after we've lost everything, that we are truly free to do anything." Fight Club

http://www.geocities.com/nesterdcgamecodes
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

popley wrote:thanks.
You're welcome. :P

Like I said, just going by what I've heard from people who tried it. You could always protest "they're not as strong as they sound" if you'd like.
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Kenichi wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Kenichi wrote:
arrowhead wrote:

But the reason you get addicted to cigs is usually because they're cheap and don't take long to smoke. Cigars are expensive and take awhile to smoke, you don't smoke them like cigs. You'd actually have to push yourself to get addicted to something like that.
Yes, but the concentration of nicotine is higher, and htye also have no filter to clean it out. You do not inhale cigars, but the nicotine is still absorded into your bloodstream through your mouth, that is where the addiction comes from. In moderate use of any tobacco product, you will wont become addicted.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

Even though I've never smoked, I think I may head to a hookah bar sometime soon... is that real dangerous? It seems all right every couple months...
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
VB_User
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by VB_User »

I dont smoke cigerettes. To be honest i dont like the flavour, they have over 150 chemicals in them, ive watched family members die of it and i just dont like the dirty smell at all. That being said i do smoke, but i smoke something much more enjoyable, in my opinion (and many others) healthier then cigerettes and it tastes good to lol. Anyways thats my 2 cents
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

My mom worked briefly at a tobacco warehouse in the 70s, and had to quit because of the effect it had on her health. She's got some fun stories.

For example: did you know that cigarettes are made partially from the stuff swept off the floor? It's a cost-saving "waste reduction" measure. As the dried tobacco is being moved around, it crumbles and dusts some, a lot of little bits and pieces of it ends up on the floor. Well, that all gets swept up--along with whatever else is on the floor, including tissues, food wrappers, rat droppings, and dropped bits of people's lunches--and put in a processing bin to be shredded and used in cigarettes.

Yummy.
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

Kenichi wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Kenichi wrote:
arrowhead wrote:

Then why are people addicted to chew? Its the tobacco. Not how cheap they are, or how fast you can smoke them. Im addicted to diet cherry pepsi, Im addicted to gambling, Im addicted to making fishing poles and buying fishing gear, Im addicted to working on my mustang, I dont need anything that gets non-addictive personality people addicted anywhere near me.
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

DaMadFiddler wrote:My mom worked briefly at a tobacco warehouse in the 70s, and had to quit because of the effect it had on her health. She's got some fun stories.

For example: did you know that cigarettes are made partially from the stuff swept off the floor? It's a cost-saving "waste reduction" measure. As the dried tobacco is being moved around, it crumbles and dusts some, a lot of little bits and pieces of it ends up on the floor. Well, that all gets swept up--along with whatever else is on the floor, including tissues, food wrappers, rat droppings, and dropped bits of people's lunches--and put in a processing bin to be shredded and used in cigarettes.

Yummy.

I'm sorry but this sounds like one of those annoying and fucking stupid truth ads.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

BoneyCork wrote:I cant wait for the no smoking in public legislation to come into effect. That will be a great day.
I love it when people who don't smoke act like they're better than one who does. It's classic.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

DaMadFiddler wrote:My mom worked briefly at a tobacco warehouse in the 70s, and had to quit because of the effect it had on her health. She's got some fun stories.

Yummy.
That does, indeed, sound delicious.
Wagh wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:I cant wait for the no smoking in public legislation to come into effect. That will be a great day.
I love it when people who don't smoke act like they're better than one who does. It's classic.
It really does boil down to a personal choice. I hate when people have a holier than thou attitude about anything. Just back off and let people make their own decisions. It's pretty much just plain ignorant to condemn someone for one aspect of their life that has virtually nothing to do with their character.

- Fuzmeister
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Wagh wrote:I'm sorry but this sounds like one of those annoying and fudging stupid truth ads.
...There's a bit of a difference between something you see on TV and something that happened to one of your parents. She worked there for about six months before she had to quit, because the tobacco dust was giving her health problems.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Yummy.
That reminds me of the time I stopped eating food because they uncovered a restaurant's unsanitary conditions on Dateline.

Boy, that didn't go well.
It's thinking...
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by TyBO »

MulletMan13 wrote:Even though I've never smoked, I think I may head to a hookah bar sometime soon... is that real dangerous? It seems all right every couple months...
I read an article in the Philadelphia Inquirer about the increasing popularity/health risks of smoking hookah. Appearently, an hour of smoking hookah can be as bad for you as smoking 100-200 cigarettes.

Soo... yeah.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

I had a close friend who was a total health nut. He would exercise all day, went to vegetarian status (which isn't that good for you anyway) and ate nothing but health food. He always put down smoking and drinking, saying it's stupid and it'll kill you. He would always criticize any of his friends who smoked, except me, I never told him because I didn't want him preaching to me all the time like he did with the others. Then I was out with him and his friends one night, and he asked me if I wanted to go to a hookah bar with them. I turned down the offer, went home, and laughed at how big of a hypocrite he is.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

TyBO wrote:
MulletMan13 wrote:Even though I've never smoked, I think I may head to a hookah bar sometime soon... is that real dangerous? It seems all right every couple months...
I read an article in the Philadelphia Inquirer about the increasing popularity/health risks of smoking hookah. Appearently, an hour of smoking hookah can be as bad for you as smoking 100-200 cigarettes.

Soo... yeah.

That's way overboard.
Wikipedia wrote: A hookah's ability to produce pleasant, non-irritating smoke has lead many to believe that hookah smoking is less detrimental to one's health than most other methods of smoking tobacco, such as smoking cigarettes. Unlike cigarettes, where smoke is produced by the ignition and burning of tobacco, hookahs produce a dense, flavorful smoke by heating moistened tobacco. Research has shown that fewer cancer-causing carcinogens are produced because the tobacco is heated, rather than burned. In addition to fewer carcinogens being produced, nicotine production is reduced by the lower temperatures at which the tobacco is heated. Lower nicotine production, when compared to cigarettes, means addiction to tobacco, among hookah smokers, happens significantly-less frequently ? though this may be due to cultural views and other limiting factors, such as the time required to prepare a hookah for use.

Recently, a review published in the medical journal Pediatrics [1] stated that the concentration of cancer-causing and addictive substances in water-pipes may be equal to those found in cigarettes, with the heat involved being sufficient to generate carcinogenic nitrosamines, and the smoldering charcoal adding some carcinogenic hydrocarbons as well as heavy metals to the smoke. Ironically, use of the hookah may increase the smoker's toxic exposure, in that studies have shown that the typical hookah smoker spends more time per episode of smoking than do other smokers, presumably because the smoke is less immediately harsh or irritating. Thomas Eissenberg, a psychology professor at Virginia Commonwealth University co-authored a hookah study which found that a session of hookah smoking which lasts about 45 minutes, delivers 36 times more tar, 15 times more carbon monoxide and 70% more nicotine than a single cigarette. A study in the Journal of Periodontology found that hookah smokers were five times more likely than non-smokers to have signs of gum disease. This is of concern to doctors in America as 45% of colleges and universities are located in close proximity to one or more hookah lounges. A study of Egyptian couples found an association between water-pipe smoking and infertility. However, many objections to the methods used in these studies have been raised. None of the existing studies took into account past tobacco or other drug usage, so it is unclear what ill-effects were directly related to water-pipe smoking, as opposed to past cigarette usage.

Quoting from one of the studies cited below, the quick-lighting charcoal used by many hookah smokers may be "the biggest hazard for hookah users" because it produces greater levels of carbon monoxide and other dangerous substances than all-natural, non-additive charcoal. The quick-lighting charcoal is produced by mixing powdered-charcoal with various chemicals that allow it to be quickly lit from an open flame. The author of the study advises people who choose not to refrain from smoking hookah to stop using dangerous ?self-lighting? charcoal, and recommends using natural charcoal and braziers in the traditional way ? as Persians, Indians, Turks, and Arabs have done for centuries. However, even all-natural charcoal produces carbon monoxide when burned and remains a substantial risk for hookah smokers. It is thought that the so-called "hookah headaches", commonly experienced by some hookah smokers, are actually caused by carbon monoxide poisoning, as headache and nausea are two of the most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
It's thinking...