Is Anyone Going to Pick DreamSNES back up?

Anything DreamSNES-related can be asked in this forum, such as general questions about the emulator, how to burn it, etc.
sedation
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Is Anyone Going to Pick DreamSNES back up?

Post by sedation »

Just wondering is anyone was gonna pick DreamSNES production back up? The last release was 0.9.8 in, I think, 2002.

I didn't ever use any earlier versions, but I've read the updates to the newer versions and saw how much was improved since it first came out. The emulator's improved so much, why did they stop improving it? I'm guessing they ran out of time or just got bored of it. But yeah... are they gonna pick it back up?

I'm gonna see if I can get in touch with it's creators and ask'em if they're going to... and if not, I'ma ask if someone else can pick up the project where they left it off.

If they would allow the project to be picked up by someone else for future construction... would anyone here be willing to tackle it?
This is (not) a block of text that can (not) be added to posts you (don't) make. There is (not) a 300 character limit.

Face it: You can (not) ignore what's (not) inside of parenthesis.
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

the source code has been integrated into the Snes9x source tree (the PC emu it was based on) so some of it has been released for people to work on, i'm no expert but i think its missing the front end.

an new compile (dream: with maybe a sound frequency selector added) which would benefit from bug fixes since indruduced in the parent emu would be awsome but i don't think anyone has 'all the bits'
Christuserloeser

Re: Is Anyone Going to Pick DreamSNES back up?

Post by Christuserloeser »

sedation wrote:I'm guessing they ran out of time or just got bored of it. But yeah... are they gonna pick it back up?
http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/index.php/Main/DreamSNES
On that page, CE wrote:Marcus Comstedt, the main programmer, told us via email that he has too many other projects (like ScummVM) and that he can't find the motivation nor time to continue the work on DreamSNES. One of the main reasons is the fact that it would need a complete recoding of the video and sound emulation to get any more speed improvements done.

However, in late 2004, Peter Bortas stated that he still envisions a new release of DreamSNES but that would only happen if "someone gets a lot of spare time: Note that parts of DreamSNES are slowly being integrated into the Snes9X upstream source. The SH4 assembler core is already there in the latest WIP release. - Peter Bortas"
Insane homebrew collector.
Anji
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Anji »

blah just should give up couse they will not do it any more..just get a psp and play emulators there..it was a nice idea..and i wish i could pick up on this and finish it along with other people but as you can see i have no clue of what to do or anything..but hey id pick it up if i knew what to do.
Coagulus
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Coagulus »

I think smooth fullspeed (with sound!) SNES emulation on the Dreamcast has turned into a bit of a "holy grail" especially with so many other systems being fullspeed.

Look at what sytems have been emulated since the last DreamSNES release, Atari ST, Amstrad, Amiga, NeoGeoCD and AES and others! That's plenty to be "going along with"!

I would love it to happen as, despite having a fast PC with a TV-out, I still prefer playing my emulated games on a DC!

I don't mind DreamSNES though, I do play the odd RPG and puzzle game with it.
COAGULUS
:;;::;;;;:::;
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Won't happen. Our best chance is Scherzo, but I think he wants a vacation after NDCSE.

Just be happy that there even is an emulator.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

This topic should be locked according to the rules.