Nesterdcse Faqs

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
JS Lemming
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by JS Lemming »

Wahhhhh!!! Just JACK them already! Get it over with. You know your going to anyway.
nsps
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by nsps »

omas wrote:So will anyone want these when I download them? Or are you worried about legality?
I'm sure tons of people would appreciate it. Would it have to be on an entire mirror site to do it, though?

impact135 wrote:what if a bunch of people mailed the writers of the FAQs and asked.. a lot would be too hard to contact but im sure at least a few would want their faq in SE.
I'm pretty sure that Scherzo already tried that. We could probably get the list of the few people who did give him permission?no reason not to take advantage of those.
GratefulDead
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by GratefulDead »

lol

The funny thing is when it comes down to it, someone on the shadier wing of the emulation community is going to rip them anyways, pack them and distribute them over torrents and kazaa (shudder).

I typed something wack into the search engine on kazaa (On someone elses computer, I wouldn't use it anymore) like "dreamcast warez" and the most idiotic stuff came up. People apparently zipped up a bunch of snes roms and dreamsnes and distribute it, the bleem rip and other junk that's probably infected with viruses. These guys have no respect.

If there's any faqs that I really need, I'd be lying it I said I wouldn't think twice about copying it. It would be for my own use of course, but still... this discussion isn't going anywhere legit. :oops:
impact135
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by impact135 »

bah!! i certainly wouldnt use kazaa its infected with viruses and bad files. im not saying where you would get them.. but dont use kazaa.. its bad news...
nsps
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by nsps »

I disaggree that this isn't going anywhere legit. There are no laws that say we can't write our own FAQs that describe similar/basically identical processes to those in existing FAQs. It's technically not ethical to downright steal them, but much of the info was stolen without citation to begin with. If people are interested in writing new ones, I can go ahead and start writing a guide on what we can do to make our own FAQs. We may want to find out which games already have usable FAQs.
omas
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by omas »

I do not see it the way everybody else seems to be looking at it. If someone creates a program to download all the NES faqs, then who ever uses this program is using these faqs for personal use. We are not distributing the faqs. So that should be legal.

Besides F!#$ it! Who hasnt ran a red light.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

omas wrote:I do not see it the way everybody else seems to be looking at it. If someone creates a program to download all the NES faqs, then who ever uses this program is using these faqs for personal use. We are not distributing the faqs. So that should be legal.
That's correct. You'd be violating GameFAQs terms of service though, but that's a different issue.
"Nothing works" - Catweazle
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis »

We could always round up IGN, YTMND, and a whole bunch of other gaming sites and wage war on them sorta like YTMND vs. Ebaums...

:twisted:
JS Lemming
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JS Lemming »

But is the bloodshed really worth it? We'd have to create a draft too.
GratefulDead
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by GratefulDead »

Do you realize how time consuming it would be to try writing FAQS for all the nes games out there? Why bother wasting so much time when they're already written? If there's some that you need, I'd say copy them from gamefaqs and burn them to a cd. Don't distribute them of course, but use them as you see fit. *shrug*
CaptTrips
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Taboo Faq

Post by CaptTrips »

I was just over at game fags, browsing the only Taboo Faq there. At the very beggining was this long spiel about copyrights and a bunch of BS.
For those who do not know, Taboo is not a game, It is a Celtic Cross Tarot Card Reading on the NES. It is on the whole limited and inacurate, but to some degree eerily acurate for an NES cart. The cart seems to use Waite's researches.
Back to the point, After the author of the Faq on Taboo complained about his Copyrights being oft violated, he procedes to display major arcana in an incorrect order and does not touch on the minor arcana except they are aranged into suits, of 14 and not 13 cards.
It will take awhile, but this horrid faq will be supplanted by a more Dreamcast friendly model. I was thinking, I have copies of lots of texts on the matter from just prior the 1900's. And I have Waite's 1901 text. I could just scan the relevant chapters, superimpose the source on the images, and format the images for the Manual Viewer.
Now, I am not fond of the idea --To include a "Manual" that was not issed by nintendo as a game in such an official, Anthology of NES-dom as NesterDC: SE? But in Taboo's case --The Forbiden just might be prudent?

By the way, Is the publisher of this game, Rare, the same folks of Donkey Kong and Killer Instinct glory?
Damon Plus
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Damon Plus »

I haven?t burned NesterDC SE yet. Still waiting to find a way to include the faqs to "complete" the disc.