Quick Question about Overclock.

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Version03
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Quick Question about Overclock.

Post by Version03 »

Ok, I read the overclocking guide on the site and most of it made sense to me. The only things I am somewhat confused about is how you connect the 40mhz oscillator and install the switch. Do you just lift the pin away from the chip and solder the oscillator onto the end of the pin you bent up and the other side of it back to where the pin used to be connected? I have looked around in the forums but havent really found a verification of how to do this. The guide is a little vague when it comes to this.

Thanks in advance.
HomerCIDAL
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by HomerCIDAL »

Just wondering why you would want to...besides just being able to do so.
Version03
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Version03 »

I want to speed up DreamSNES, Lol.
ptr.exe
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ptr.exe »

It's not that useful for DreamSNES. My DC is clocked at 252Mhz, thats 52Mhz over the stock speed, and most DreamSNES games still only get an increase between 2 and 5%. However its useful for some commercial games with slowdown, Shenmue 2 in the Golden Qtr. is full speed.
Orange_Ribbon wrote:It is also the reason why you can't wear tight pants. Damn anal warts.

Millenium Falcon Dreamcast
HomerCIDAL
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by HomerCIDAL »

Ahh... There are still some out there that think overclocking will improve their DC games, but I definitely understand wanting the emulators to run faster. Sorry I can't help you out, but your thinking sounded right to me.
Version03
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Version03 »

Yes I understand this all but...No one has answered my question. Is that the way that is should be set up? and How do I install a switch?
Version03
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Version03 »

Comeon people...I know someone out there knows what to do. Please answer.
ptr.exe
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ptr.exe »

I don't really understand what your talking about in the first post...

The pin which you lift up is the source of the old clock signal (33.3Mhz). The place that it used to be soldered to is the place you want to put your new signal (on the other side of the board there is a resistor that is a much nicer place to solder to than that pad).

On a switch, have the centre pin the place you took the pin from, the place where the DC gets its clock speed.

Have on one side pin the old 33.3Mhz clock.

Have the other side of the switch the new clock (eg. 40Mhz).

The OC mod isnt that useful, and because you can't save I rarely use it. It's fun with some games, but pointless for most. Also it won't necessarily fix all slowdown, some games have slowdown because of other factors.
Orange_Ribbon wrote:It is also the reason why you can't wear tight pants. Damn anal warts.

Millenium Falcon Dreamcast