Is a Sega Nomad worth $40?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Is a Sega Nomad worth $40?

Post by melancholy »

I seen on at Game Crazy today, and it was $40. Is that a good price for one, considering it's just the Nomad and an AC adapter?
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Yes. They go a lot more than that AFAIK.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
Been thanked: 0

Post by MKE »

yeah, there actually worth about 80-100$ last time i checked...
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

If 95% of my Genesis collection hadn't gotten stolen, I'd have already invested a good sum of money in one of these already. Now that the DS and PSP can emulate Genesis (AFAIK), I think I'll just stick with emulation.
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

I got mine for 80 bucks 6 yeats ago used.
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Good price. I bought one at GameStop when I was working there for $40, and resold it for close to $100. If you want to use it portably, the lock on battery pack is virtually required though. AAs last maybe a half hour to 1 hour.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
lynx44
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by lynx44 »

I bought one about a year ago. I don't regret it, although I never use it since the PSP emulates it perfect, uses less batters, and looks better. I would pick it up if you just like to own consoles, but for all practical purposes it's pretty useless now.

-Matt
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Re: Is a Sega Nomad worth $40?

Post by impetus »

melancholy wrote:I seen on at Game Crazy today, and it was $40. Is that a good price for one, considering it's just the Nomad and an AC adapter?
yes, if only to immediately sell on ebay.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

lynx44 wrote:I bought one about a year ago. I don't regret it, although I never use it since the PSP emulates it perfect, uses less batters, and looks better. I would pick it up if you just like to own consoles, but for all practical purposes it's pretty useless now.

-Matt
Not if you want perfect play, as the Genesis emulators are definetly not. Or if you don't have a PSP.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

impetus wrote:
melancholy wrote:I seen on at Game Crazy today, and it was $40. Is that a good price for one, considering it's just the Nomad and an AC adapter?
yes, if only to immediately sell on ebay.
Seconded - You'll easily recoup the forty bucks by selling it on eBay if you don't like it. That or sell it to me since us Brits never got the chance to buy one new :)
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Definitely. I'd have grabbed that in a heartbeat.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

They make great consoles for playing your old games because they don't take up a lot of room, and hook up to the TV, and the second controller plugs into the Nomad. (Makes for some interesting 2 player action.)
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

?100 at my local Gamestation. Slap another ?50 on top of that if go across the road to Another World.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

That is a excellent deal. I did buy one once locally for $35 and it had a bunch of games, but the system was defective (had no battery pack and reset if you touched the power cord). I sold it on ebay as is for like $30 and kept the games.

Just make sure they don't want some crazy amount for shipping?
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Well, if you thought that deal was good...

I decided after hearing all of the comments that this was something I shouldn't have passed up. So I went back to the store and luckily it was still sitting there. The guy recognized me, so he knew what I was back for, which depressed him since he wanted it for himself but didn't have the money. Nonetheless, he sold it to me. However, he could not find the AC adapter for it, so he decided that since it was missing the adapter, he would just take $8 off the price. So I ended up paying like $35 after tax. :mrgreen:

Now the problem is that I am forced to use batteries to run the thing. Does a regular Genesis adapter work with it? Or does anyone know where to get a cheap Nomad AC adapter?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

melancholy wrote:Now the problem is that I am forced to use batteries to run the thing. Does a regular Genesis adapter work with it? Or does anyone know where to get a cheap Nomad AC adapter?
http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?catego ... ts_id=3124

There's one for cheap, and it looks like Genesis/Game Gear/Nomad adapters are interchangable, so you might just want to use a Genesis one if you have one.
It's thinking...
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

Ross L. wrote:Umm... what is the Nomad?... :|
Portable Genesis, rather nice really, if only the power connection wasnt a little wobbly on mine
Matisfaction wrote:?100 at my local Gamestation. Slap another ?50 on top of that if go across the road to Another World.
Theres a gamestation up there now? usefull, itd be more likely to have rarities in than the one here probably, havent looked since I got my swords form a dodgy market stall a couple of months back, gotta love them dodgy market vendors.
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Hawq wrote:Theres a gamestation up there now?
Yup, it's been there a while. Just opposite McDonald's.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

I think you mean, "I saw"
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe