Is The Nintendo DS Bitching Red Mario Kart Kit Worth The Yen

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Sir C.A.T
Young Null Warrior
Young Null Warrior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Is The Nintendo DS Bitching Red Mario Kart Kit Worth The Yen

Post by Sir C.A.T »

Well, I had realized that some of my favorite games (Kirby, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing etc....) are coming to DS, and I'm wondering, is this fancy little guy worth the money? I like playing the occasional game but not am an extreeeme gamer, what ya'll think? Also, what are some asskicking games coming out for this turkey?
Cmtz
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Cmtz »

Yes, why do you think it's the hottest selling system?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

It sells more than the PSP but it isn't the hottest system.
It's thinking...
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

|darc| wrote:It sells more than the PSP but it isn't the hottest system.
Depends on where you're looking. But worldwide, yes it is, at least for now.

At any rate, as someone who devotes a fair amount of time to gaming but who does not particularly care for games in their modern incarnation, I highly recommend the DS. The GBA has a ton of great "tradition" 8 and 16 bit-style games, all of which you can play on the DS. And as Penny-Arcade put it:

The games hitting the DS now in their major franchises aren't the filthy ports with a few bonuses tacked on I feared would dominate the machine - they're actually the legitimate sequels, definitive versions that replace the old ones in terms of features and I daresay fun. The new Animal Crossing game for the DS is Animal Crossing II, with the multiplayer that was clamored for. The Mario Kart that is out for the DS is the new Mario Kart. Not the "portable version," not the constrained subset. It's the most robust offering in the franchise.

It's so ridiculous to think that after all I've Goddamn spent this year, I keep coming back to a hundred and thirty dollar system to play these tiny thirty-five dollar games.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

I used to think the DS was a joke. I got the red DS Mario Kart bundle for Christmas and I really can't remember the last time I had so much fun with a video game system. And the funny thing is I really don't care for Mario Kart at all (when you've played one Mario Kart game, you've played them all). I got Feel The Magic XY/XX and Super Mario 64 DS the other day and I'm at bliss.
Komid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Komid »

I picked up a DS back at launch and I can honestly say I havent touched it until about 2 weeks ago :lol:

But the recent influx of badass titles has me hooked and looking ahead on the software lineup I think the DS will go down as one of the most memorable gaming devices we've ever owned.

And I have to say for all the criticism the big N recieved for thier lack of online support for the GC, they've proven themselves quite capable of providing online support with the NintendoWifi service.
Sir C.A.T
Young Null Warrior
Young Null Warrior

Post by Sir C.A.T »

Sooo, I'm probably going to pick the DS up, but, what is a good CHEAP eouter that I could use with the beast?
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

I just beat Feel The Magic XY/XX tonight. Fecking amazing game. I'm going back for seconds tomorrow to start Hard mode.
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

Nintendo DS is one of the most fun systems ever. And that is what its all about; having fun. Not playing videos/music/pictures etc, but playing games.

I thought two screens was a gimmick, but in mario kart, i can't imagine playing it without the map below. and kirby made BRILLIANT use of the touch screen, so if you aren't sold on that, play kirby and you'll change your mind. also, the fact that it works with gba games increases the library by a crapload of games.

My only criticism is with super mario 64; the controls are really frustrating. i suck with both the touch screen and the d-pad.
Tetris: 556-381-350-981
MKDS: 163-282-974-709
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Sir C.A.T wrote:Sooo, I'm probably going to pick the DS up, but, what is a good CHEAP eouter that I could use with the beast?
Actually, when I signed up for DSL, I just paid a little extra to get a modem with built-in wireless...never given me any trouble.

My parents also have an older Belkin router...B only, I believe. Works fine there, too.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

If you already have a wired router and don't feel like forking out cash for a wireless one just for the DS, Nintendo is selling a wi-fi adapter on their website for $35. You plug it in the USB port of a computer with a broadband connection and you're good to go. I'll be getting one once I get more wi-fi games (all I have right now that has wi-fi is Mario Kart DS and I'm not terrific at Mario Kart, and going online with it would just depress me.)
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

As I have been saying since launch: DS is awesome and worth the money.
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
Georgie
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Georgie »

Don't know how good this is but newegg has a router for $8.00 after $30 rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833156038
#1 quote
Orange_Ribbon wrote:I feel my crotch is a blank slate in witch to promote spider man, or captain america.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Do some research before hand though. I bought my router thinking it would be 100% compatible with my DS, luckily it kinda was. The model was compatible, but not the version number I had. I was able to solve the problem though. So just make sure other people have had success before going out and buying a router. As it is to play Mario Kart online I need to have my PC on. Kinda defeats the purpose of the router as it was bought for the fact I could keep my PC turned off (long story). And on top of that I have the wifi dongle too.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

yeah. unfortunately not ALL routers play well with the DS. I know my 524 works, but not after a few setting changes. Ive seen other router such as the belkin's not work period. hopefully this is simply a software issue and future wifi games won't have these problems.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

other router such as the belkin's not work period
I'm wondering if the solution for my belkin router will work with all other belkins, if not some.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Komid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Komid »

Skynet wrote:
I'm wondering if the solution for my belkin router will work with all other belkins, if not some.
I have a belkin F5D7230-4 version 1444. I have yet to get the damn thing to work myself. :cry:
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

the mentioned fix on the Nwifi forums are only for a specific belkin model. I forgot which.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Komid wrote:
Skynet wrote:
I have a belkin F5D7230-4 version 1444. I have yet to get the damn thing to work myself. :cry:
I have same one, but version 4000 or something. Did you try the solution on the wifi forums?

Download Fping, then use this command

Code: Select all

fping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -c -t 10 -w 10
Where xxx = IP address of DS.
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by navi »

If I had the Crowns to burn I'd get it in a heartbeat.