Neo4All/AES FAQ & Tutorial !

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
DARKGATE
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DARKGATE »

:o SAMURAI SPIRIT 5 SPECIAL WORK?
I have tried to convert and i have converted in AES, but when load the rom, the emu crash.
Same problem with kof2003, Rage of the dragon i have only screen black, and also with MATREMELEE.
O_o Help please.
P.S. i Think wich for this games wait a new version, SNKVSCHAOS have too much loading when fight.

The real problem is wich the dreamcast when begin the first round, the emu could stop the emulation for LOAD all the amimations.
for example when we load the CD GAMES.
I think wich the music, can be lost, but however add more playable.
Excuse me for me english =) good year.
rangrisser
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by rangrisser »

I just burned samurai shodown 5 special with christuserloeser support ncGUI and romrc file. And my samsho5sp.aes size is 91,464kb.
I tried many CDRs,so I finally get work file.
Frankly speaking I don't know exactly what makes working.
Try diffrent size!! :)
But Metal slug3~5,Rage of the dragon ,Power instinct,Strikers 1945 plus,Ganryu,Preisle2 was Grphic crash!(like white thin screen covered)
DARKGATE
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DARKGATE »

Excuse me rangrisser, but samurai spirit 5 special is PLAYABLE?
Sonic-NKT
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Sonic-NKT »

hmm and for it still doesnt work yet :(
i have everything setup right and all that but still prefetch dont work...
rangrisser
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by rangrisser »

Yes,Samurai shodown 5 special,Kof 2003 is working!!
And I think other game will work with correct neogeo rom file and romrc :twisted:

PS:Sorry for I can't speak warez site,but I get at warez. :roll:
tmcw
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by tmcw »

Is there a definitive ROM list/ROM builder file for what's supported in this emu? Something with the required CRC's?

Wondering if a set from NeoRAGEx 0.6b will work Ok with this? Is there much changing required to get the sets up to spec?

Thx.
Detroitfightinggame Champ
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Detroitfightinggame Champ »

does any1 kno if dragons of rage works?
monk
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

I feel like a n00b

Post by monk »

Ok, I feel like a total noob, but..

I can't figure out at all how to get any of this working properly. It seems nothing I've read actually tells you simply and clearly "do this first, do that next, burn, play, enjoy".

I understand what files are needed, more or less, and I either already had them or got them. Understand mostly all the different other utilities and such that help you do what.. but.. nowehere is it made clear to me exactly what to do with this stuff. I have the new SBI, the SBInducer... I have the needed bios files, I have tons of roms, I have both sourcecode and binary of the NEO4ALL beta 4... I have dreamboot.. I have a burner and plenty of blank discs, but I don't want to be making coasters here...

I've successfully burned and played several other DC emus before, in fact, was playing NESTERDC earlier today... have a lovely collection of DreamSNES stuff.. I've gotten other homebrew apps to work before too, but this was all like... 3 years ago.. I feel really stupid now..

Can someone give me a clue as to what to do with which files? like exactly what I need to arrange in what order and what things to click in which whatever to make the image so I can burn and try it out? I've been messing around with Neo Geo emulation and emulation in general for a long time, but this really makes me feel at a loss for what to do for the first time in.. a long time.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Neo4All beta 4 binary = NeoGeoCD emulator.
Neo4All beta 4 source = for coders only, get the souces, modify them, compile them, release them.
Neo4Allb4 SBI = NeoGeoCD emulator for use in a DreamInducer disc with some other emulators/homebrews.

If you think noone makes it clear enough, you did never saw this http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/index.ph ... eo4All-AES , you should.
monk
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by monk »

ok, ya. I read that. It only partially helped. I understand what files are needed, more or less... but there's... things I just... don't seem to get..

I really hate to be so utterly noobish about it.. but would someone mind sending me a message or im or something, guide me through it? It's like, I have all the tools, but the process just really confuses me.
monk
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by monk »

Ok, let me try to explain my position a little better, DCmad (and any others)...
I read all the articles and forums I could find so far. I saw your list of what a file structure should look like.

It doesn't make sense unless you're a complete pro at this or totally psychic. Sadly, I work under the table and am only slightly prescient under normal circumstances.

In the SBI tutorial I read it's vary vague about emulators in specific, saying that instructions should be provided about where to place roms, etc. The only clear instructions I've seen say where to put the bios files. Fine, I have them, I put them where I think they should be. What about roms? The link I followed to a list of common emus and their rom placement structures totally neglected NEO4ALL. Maybe it's too new.

In your folder diagram, there's tons and tons of files I've never seen anywhere but in maybe the sourcecode version. Where the hell do you get those? Does using a program like SBInducer or Dreamboot just make those or put them in place for you? What's this about deleting all but the necessary files to help with saving on the DC's ram? I don't understand how these files are being created/placed in the first place, and with what utility in order for them to be deleted.

When I run SBInducer with the sbi for NEO4ALL beta 4, all it does is create a 1stread.bin and IP, and I get another folder with some basically useless readme's that just tell me where to put the bios files. Ok, like I said, know that, did that.

I actually have a full mame romset of .62 and updates up to .71 or something, which should all qualify to deal with problems I've read about newer and unsupported roms. I have the newer ROMRC file, but I don't know what the heck that is or again, where that comes into play. How does that get incorportated into the project to play the newer supported stuff? I have one rom conversion tool but haven't dared to use it yet until I know what I'm doing and can put a folder together of the games I feel I know will work.

I'm willing to spend the time converting and renaming files and stuff, putting together a disc image... whatever.. I'd just like to try this out for myself and maybe share it with some friends if it can work....

Am I missing something really simple and crucial here? I feel like a retard for asking, but c'mon, there's absolutely no clear-cut instruction anywhere that I can find that resolves any of my questions or issues.

Oh, one more thing, everyone seems to refer to this as a Neogeo CD emulator, yet I've seen zero discussion on actually playing Neogeo CD's with it, only the arcade roms. (From my experience with NeoGeo emulation, the MVS roms actually include the AES roms. Either they're one and the same or one includes the other or something, but either way the "correct" sets for both should be inherent in the same dump if it's good, because in essence, both sets of hardware are more or less identical.) So what's the deal? Why are you telling me it's a CD system emulator if everyone's talking about trying to run AES/MVS roms on it? I know AES carts continue to be (stupidly expensively) made, but I didn't think CD's still came out.

Can you see why I'm so confused? I can get any rom to work under almost any Windows based emulator, but burning for DC is a tricky thing. If it were so easy, why would you need all these fancy programs to create the specific disc structures and all for you? If someone could just help me out, I'd be terribly grateful, would return the favour however I could.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

monk wrote:Ok, let me try to explain my position a little better, DCmad (and any others)...
I read all the articles and forums I could find so far. I saw your list of what a file structure should look like.
Thing is we all talk about Neo4All/AES while you are talking about Neo4All/CD - those are two different emus :!:

The 1st one is an AES/MVS emu, the second one a CD emu:
Dreamcast-Scene Article wrote:General Information

This open source emulator is based on Neo4All/CD and uses MMU for loading large MVS/AES games. The MMU technique enables the emulator...
I made an SBI for Neo4All/CD a while ago - you can download it here:
http://www.dcevolution.net/dsdevelopmen ... CE.sbi.zip (Just cut the ".zip" from the file's name)

It tells you exactly which BIOS you need:
Google for a file called NEOCD.BIN
Size: 512 KByte
Put the SBI in /SBInducr/SBI/, click on 'SBI2Boot' in SBInudcer v4 and then put the BIOS in the root folder = /SBInducr/Inducer/.

Switch back to the SBInducer menu and click on the DJ (or Nero or CDRecord) icon to create the disc.

Boot up your DC with the disc inserted, then put your NeoGeoCD game into your DC's GD-ROM drive and enjoy :wink:

The SBI has been tested so it should work.
[...]I can get any rom to work under almost any Windows based emulator, but burning for DC is a tricky thing. If it were so easy, why would you need all these fancy programs to create the specific disc structures and all for you? If someone could just help me out, I'd be terribly grateful, would return the favour however I could.
Get BootDreams for your future DC discs, best app ever:
http://www.consolevision.com/members/fackue/

Just point BootDreams to some folder, it does everything else for you.
Insane homebrew collector.
Lazlow
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Lazlow »

I just got myself a DC today, as I had got my hands on Shenmue.

Then i remembered the DC was awesome at emulating other consoles and what not, so i was excited at the prospect of playing all my Neo Geo roms on a big screen.

So I was a littled surprised to see that Neo Geo emulation is still in its infancy . Nevertheless i gave it a shot.

I used 3 roms... Last Blade 2, SVC Chaos, and Metal Slug 2.

My first attempt failed as I had a DAO image and burnt it with Nero, and after reading through the BootDreams tutorials, i found out why this had failed. So I tried a TAO image and has some success.

However i, like a lot of others suffered stuttereing frame rates, and generally jerky gameplay with all three roms. It was pretty much smooth, jerky, smooth, jerky, as the information was constantly being loaded into the RAM.

Here are my roms, before and after conversion:

svcplus: 39.4mb - 87.4mb
mslug2: 16.9mb - 44mb
lastbld2: 31.4mb - 70.1mb

are these normal file size increases, after conversion?

i just used the command line to do my conversions and not the GUI.

also.... is sfix.sfx, just ng-sfix.rom copied and pasted and renamed?

any way to fix the bugged up character select on svcplus?
Christuserloeser

Hold Start to select your character at SvC.

ng-sfxi.rom & sfix.rom are the same ROMs.

The files sizes will increase because they are zipped before conversion. AES files are uncompressed since that would eat up valuable seconds of loading & on-the-fly decompressing - if possible at all.

Regarding the speed:
The AES emulator only emulates older or smaller NeoGeo games perfectly - I have listed some of those here:
http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/index.ph ... mmendGames

In general it is suggested to use the Neo4All CD emu instead of the AES one for newer games (like e.g Metal Slug 1 and 2) and Neo4All AES only for those newer games above 16MB for which prefetch information is available (like Metal Slug X)
Lazlow
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Lazlow »

When I did this, it just went random.
monk
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by monk »

Thing is we all talk about Neo4All/AES while you are talking about Neo4All/CD - those are two different emus Exclamation
Ok, wow, somehow I totally overlooked that. I didn't realize there were 2 versions for some reason.. but then later on it's said the cd one is better at the bigger games, and the aes one is best for games under 16mb. Obviously, I'm more interested right now in getting some of the bigger newer stuff to work, but even some of the old, smaller games are quite fun too. Do you suggest making 2 versions and maybe swapping discs for roms or something?

Also, I got bootdreams and I can't really seem to figure out what to do with it. I didn't even notice that this thread had continued, so I kinda thought no one replied to me and now I forget most of what I was doing before, will have to reread a bunch of stuff when I have time... But thanks much for all who do reply.
Christuserloeser

Lazlow wrote:
When I did this, it just went random.
Only way to have a workaround for this bug in this Alpha release of Neo4all/AES. There are only a few bugs in the Alpha, this is one of the oddest (wd?).

Btw: Congratulations on buying your Dreamcast! :D
I'd like to point you to htt://www.DCEvolution.net for some nice downloads - We host quite a lot of pre-made DC images, ready-to-burn for you :D

Other than and next to Neo4All, my favorite emulators would be NesterDC SE, SMSplusDC & SCUMMVM.

monk wrote:Also, I got bootdreams and I can't really seem to figure out what to do with it. I didn't even notice that this thread had continued, so I kinda thought no one replied to me and now I forget most of what I was doing before, will have to reread a bunch of stuff when I have time... But thanks much for all who do reply.
Oh, that's very easy: Just point BootDreams to the folder containing your Neo4All files and that's it.
I created a small manual with what files that folder should contain and how to convert your NeoGeo MAME ROMs to .AES files.

http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/index.ph ... eo4All-AES

monk wrote:[...]Do you suggest making 2 versions and maybe swapping discs for roms or something?
Sure, why not?

Other than BootDreams, you could also use the SBIs I made and use SBInducer v4. That'd enable you to have both emus on one disc :wink:

SBInducer v4 is available here:
http://www.consolevision.com/members/sbiffy/

The SBIs:

http://www.dcevolution.net/dsdevelopmen ... CE.sbi.zip

http://www.dcevolution.net/dsdevelopmen ... CE.sbi.zip

Just rename them from ".sbi.zip" to ".sbi" and copy them in your C:/SBInducr/SBI/ folder. See my post from January 18th.
monk
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by monk »

Thanks, christuser. I'll tool around with this and see what I can come up with. I appreciate the responses.

edit:

Ok, now I understand why I was so utterly confused before. All the links in all the guides and stuff and everywhere everyone was pointing me to was indeed to the CD emulator... no wonder I couldn't figure any of this out! It doesn't even seem to be on that dude Chui's site... at least, not a single link I've seen takes you to it... I had to do a bit of googling to find the AES emu, but once I opened it up, now everything I read makes so much more sense...
monk
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by monk »

*weep* *moan* *bitch*

Alright.. I got the correct files... set everything up according to instuctions..(at least, I think so...) converted roms... used Bootdreams to make a nero file.. (I'm using nero 7 point something)

It crashed on me a few times trying to write a TAO disc with closed session... I tried open session.. DC wouldn't load it... I try DAO, again, DC wouldn't load it... I tried making a .cdi image and burning in Alcohol 120%, again, DC wouldn't even recognize the disc... I've made like 6 coasters so far, and don't even know what I'm doing wrong... I don't have an infinite supply of blank discs... actually, I'm running out fast...

This sucks.. I finally come to somewhat understand what I'm supposed to do, and nothing works, again....

Help? *begs*

I have some great ideas based on what I've read for getting some unsupported games to work. Believe it or not, I'm not a total newb moron when it comes to emulation. I have many working emu and homebrew discs that I made for DC years ago.. I've been toying with Neogeo emulation for years.. I do have a clue.. but it seems to me all the info given so far is overly complicated. There were too many things I had to figure out for myself even after being pointed in the correct direction, but being unable to even burn a correctly working disc, there's no way I can know if any of my other ideas will work... I dread to keep doing this and making more duds.. please someone tell me what I could be doing wrong to get such terrible problems? Thank you kindly for your patience with me.
Christuserloeser

I dunno about Nero7 - Just try creating a CDI and burn with BootDreams' built-in CDI burner! ...or use Alcohol120% in TAO mode. Or you could just burn with BootDreams' CDRecord method. It's very easy ;)