Networking Question

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Sir C.A.T
Young Null Warrior
Young Null Warrior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Networking Question

Post by Sir C.A.T »

Let me say that I have a laptop and Desktop PC both connected to a router, one connected through cable and the other one(laptop), connected using the wirelessness. Well, I have a file that I want to move from the Desktop PC to the laptop, but I don't know how. I would like this to be as simple as possible. Thanks a lot, and good luck.
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli »

Well, if you want it as simple as possible, just sign on AIM on both the laptop and desktop and transfer the file. Should transfer very fast since you're so close to each other.
girls keep telling me they want 8".. so i tell'm ok.. i'll fold it in half
Sir C.A.T
Young Null Warrior
Young Null Warrior

Post by Sir C.A.T »

Tall Israeli wrote:Well, if you want it as simple as possible, just sign on AIM on both the laptop and desktop and transfer the file. Should transfer very fast since you're so close to each other.
It's 2.12 Gigs though :(.
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

if the wireless router is plugged into the wired router, it won't work. If both computers are connected to the same router though, just move the file over to your shared documents folder and hop on the other computer, go to the shared documents folder and transfer it to your hard drive.
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli »

Sir C.A.T wrote:
Tall Israeli wrote:Well, if you want it as simple as possible, just sign on AIM on both the laptop and desktop and transfer the file. Should transfer very fast since you're so close to each other.
It's 2.12 Gigs though :(.
My brother and I would do this all the time and we'd get speeds of 2mb/s+ so it's up to you. I just say go for it and if the speeds aren't good enough, try something else. Really can't hurt to try it.
girls keep telling me they want 8".. so i tell'm ok.. i'll fold it in half
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Re: Networking Question

Post by toastman »

Sir C.A.T wrote:Let me say that I have a laptop and Desktop PC both connected to a router, one connected through cable and the other one(laptop), connected using the wirelessness. Well, I have a file that I want to move from the Desktop PC to the laptop, but I don't know how. I would like this to be as simple as possible. Thanks a lot, and good luck.
On either the desktop or the laptop, set a shared folder, then copy/move the file there.
No signature.
Sir C.A.T
Young Null Warrior
Young Null Warrior

Post by Sir C.A.T »

I used the advice from another guy on a different site. Basically, I made a drive that both computers could access. Simple and efficient.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Type '\\computer's name' in a window. Your share folder and shared printers will appear.
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

ive got the drives on both computers here setup as wide open shared folders on the network and they have got mapped drive letters so the "B:" drive on both machines is full unfettered access to the hard drive on the opposite machine. works great for this kind of thing id say.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Sir C.A.T wrote:I used the advice from another guy on a different site. Basically, I made a drive that both computers could access. Simple and efficient.
That's what I was recommending.
No signature.
Synlor
Official DCEMU Stalker
Official DCEMU Stalker

Post by Synlor »

I would think just using aim.. while possibly slower, would still be quicker than looking up another way and setting up all the sharing issues. It would be done by the time you have everything set up and ready to go. I guess its too late for that now though :)
Thanks to Digital Chaos, GoldbergWWE, and ace for the avatar, sig, and badge!
http://devcast.dcemulation.com
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Synlor wrote:I would think just using aim.. while possibly slower, would still be quicker than looking up another way and setting up all the sharing issues. It would be done by the time you have everything set up and ready to go. I guess its too late for that now though :)
Sharing a folder or drive is simple and would be much quicker than AIM still. Hell, he could share the folder the file/drive is currently in, saving an additional step of moving it.
No signature.
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

I used to use msn sometimes to send files to the pc downstairs, purely because both computers could access the net, but not seem to see eachother on the network :s

Was quite cool tho, cos it was transferring about 10mb/s :) lol