NesterDC SE - Hard Release Date

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Kader
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Kader »

D-Roc wrote:The only thing I can't figure out, is how to exit a game and return to the rom select screen without rebooting my DC. Otherwise, I'm loving this.
Hold LEFT on the analog stick (I'm guessing d-pad if you switched the mapping) and press START. Will give you a nifty little menu. Also noticed that you can back out pretty far (all the way?) and as long as you don't select a new game you can resume the game you were playing.

Oops forgot that it will bring you back to browse/options but when you select browse you'll be back looking at the last game box/title/cart you selected. (no starting back at #/A)
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

The CD Builder seems to work alright but errors several times throughout the creation process just saying that it can't create a certain type of window...then when I put the CD-R in my DC, it doesn't load up at all...oh, and I have already had NesterDC 6.0, 7.1, and DreamSNES work on my DreamCast, so it is not my system...can you help?
Damn, yeah, this is the error that a couple testers got. It's because bin2boot is a 16-bit DOS app, and in some Windows XP version it just doesn't wanna work. Unfortunately, there's really no alternative to bin2boot and no source for it. The problem could easily be solved if I could just recompile the damn thing as a Win32 console app. The the author never released the source. I'll keep brainstorming to come up with a solution.

One thing you might wanna try...
At the end of the build process, the true contents of the CD are in the "datatemp" folder. You could try running your favorite selfboot method on that directory.
Could I get the goodies without the CD builder? That'd be very convenient, at least for me.
I'll make the goodies library available for download on the website in the near future.
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis »

MetaFox wrote:The NSF player is a cool addition. I've never checked out the NSFs of games before.

The Dr. Mario one is quite interesting. Track 9 is a clip that sounds like it might have been the test for level 20's ending music. It sounds similar, but is higher pitched, uses the SMB2 USA ending music, and only lasts for 7 seconds. I'm wondering this, as I have played Dr. Mario to death, and I've never heard that track used in the game.

I wonder how many other goodies like this are hidden in NSF files.
I think it was MegaMan 4 (or 2), but the theme when you're looking at the map of Wiley's castle actually has an extension that you never hear. It's funny though, because that's the most awesome song ever and you never actually got to hear it all.
rastaman33
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by rastaman33 »

it skipped some of the games on my computer when i downloaded the extra stuff from your server. so can i add games after its done?
and make a new selfbooted image with another app?
or is there any settings i have to change, to make it work?
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Isn't it possible ot use the analog stick with this emulator haven't tried yet. If not I hope this can be added as my thumb gets sore on the d-pad.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

it skipped some of the games on my computer when i downloaded the extra stuff from your server. so can i add games after its done?
and make a new selfbooted image with another app?
or is there any settings i have to change, to make it work?
Then those games weren't found in the NesterDC SE master database. Unfortunately, I didn't deal with those exceptions. Like I said this emulator isn't perfect but it was just time for a release.
Isn't it possible ot use the analog stick with this emulator haven't tried yet. If not I hope this can be added as my thumb gets sore on the d-pad.
Yes
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Ah cool thanks a lot scherzo, not many people both appreciate old school games and are able to put such work and dedication into something to give others the gift of their hard work. Thank you Scherzo!
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

GyroVorbis wrote:
MetaFox wrote:The NSF player is a cool addition. I've never checked out the NSFs of games before.

The Dr. Mario one is quite interesting. Track 9 is a clip that sounds like it might have been the test for level 20's ending music. It sounds similar, but is higher pitched, uses the SMB2 USA ending music, and only lasts for 7 seconds. I'm wondering this, as I have played Dr. Mario to death, and I've never heard that track used in the game.

I wonder how many other goodies like this are hidden in NSF files.
I think it was MegaMan 4 (or 2), but the theme when you're looking at the map of Wiley's castle actually has an extension that you never hear. It's funny though, because that's the most awesome song ever and you never actually got to hear it all.
I've always been fascinated by the changes a work goes through--game, music, book, film, what-have-you--before the "final" version is reached. This seems to be a modern obsession: the desire for a definitive or "best" version of something. Looking back through history, works have gone through a lot of changes--plays are performed and published differently over time, works are revised and changed by their authors (just look at all the different editions of Leaves of Grass), etc.

Emulation is special, because it gives us the opportunity to play anthropologist with a medium that has traditionally been more or less immune to such scrutiny. It gives us easier access to unreleased games, in-production builds, and even the ability to "excavate" the final release versions to see what things--or traces of things--may have gone unused or been removed from the final versions.

For this very reason, one of my favorite games for a long time was the BETA version of Sonic 2. I'd still like to get my hands on some Sonic Xtreme and Castlevania Resurrection materials, if the chance ever arises.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

Strapping Scherzo wrote:Then those games weren't found in the NesterDC SE master database. Unfortunately, I didn't deal with those exceptions. Like I said this emulator isn't perfect but it was just time for a release.
If anyone wants to contribute those things, how should we do it? Since there's no Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! game genie codes, I'll end up doing them myself and I'd like to send them your way for the next version if you so choose to do one.
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by TyBO »

Wait... this won't work if I try to burn it with Nero 6? I did everything right but when I popped it into my DC, it thought the disc was an audio CD.

Anyone mind helping?
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

TyBO wrote:Wait... this won't work if I try to burn it with Nero 6? I did everything right but when I popped it into my DC, it thought the disc was an audio CD.

Anyone mind helping?
The Nero image the CD builder creates is a DAO Nero image and Nero 6 does not support them. My suggestion is to create a DiscJuggler image, then open cdi2nero.exe that's in the same folder as the CD builder. Then, select your CDI image, but when it tells you to save the Nero image, in the drop-down box (Save as type) select "Nero TAO image", then save it.

That'll be your working Nero 6 image.
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by TyBO »

LyingWake wrote:
TyBO wrote:Wait... this won't work if I try to burn it with Nero 6? I did everything right but when I popped it into my DC, it thought the disc was an audio CD.

Anyone mind helping?
The Nero image the CD builder creates is a DAO Nero image and Nero 6 does not support them. My suggestion is to create a DiscJuggler image, then open cdi2nero.exe that's in the same folder as the CD builder. Then, select your CDI image, but when it tells you to save the Nero image, in the drop-down box (Save as type) select "Nero TAO image", then save it.

That'll be your working Nero 6 image.
Thank you LyingWake... works like a charm now. :D

Scherzo... you are the greatest! I've only tried a few NES games, but I can already tell the compatibility is MUCH better... I also love browsing through the games... it's all very professional!

Thank you. This disc will be in my Dreamcast for months. :D
4lyes
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by 4lyes »

this is the best christmas gift ever thanks Strapping Scherzo. :mrgreen: u should start taking donations for this
Live, enjoy and love life.
Don't forget to excerise thanx ddr :)
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

MetaFox wrote:I just beat Super Mario Bros. 3 with NesterDC SE. Man, I had forgotten just how terrible the Dreamcast's D-pad really is.
D-Roc wrote:Metafox: I hear that. The Dreamcast's D-Pad makes me want to rip out my own hair when playing games like Contra.
That's definitly not true. At first I thought similar but let me assure you people that the DC's D-Pad will get better and better if you actually use it. Really, it needs to be used and thus to get a bit worn out to be any good - but then it really is a good D-Pad!

Still, I am using the Arcade Stick to play so it'd appreciated not to be forced to the Analogue Stick for getting back to the menu. I'd suggest L+R+Start to get to the menu.
Insane homebrew collector.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Christuserloeser wrote:That's definitly not true. At first I thought similar but let me assure you people that the DC's D-Pad will get better and better if you actually use it. Really, it needs to be used and thus to get a bit worn out to be any good - but then it really is a good D-Pad!
Either the PAL Dreamcast controllers have a much better directional pad than their NTSC-U counterparts, or you're using a third party controller.

There's no way the d-pad on the standard NTSC-U first party Dreamcast controllers could be called good, let alone really good. I'd even venture to say that it's the worst D-pad for any system that I have used so far. It's really terrible.

I played Super Mario Bros. and ended up running straight into a goomba instead of ducking. When the biggest challenge of playing a game is using the controller, that's not a good sign.

Note that I always use the D-pad in Crazy Taxi, and I've played that game to death - so there's no way that the problem could be that my controller isn't worn in.
dr apocalipsis
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by dr apocalipsis »

At last I have downloaded all the goodies (+ hours because of the server :? ) and I have to say this emu is pretty impresive. I'm playing NES first time now with this emu. In fact I have played few games before such as megaman 1, 2 and 3 and few others.

Scherzo should be pride of this release. Hope somebody make something similar with sega systems (Ehem, If anyone needs helps with that contact me :D )

Congratulations!!
atentamente a su ombligo:
el dr. apocalipsis Nil

Don't hesitate about correct my english :oops:
dr apocalipsis
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by dr apocalipsis »

About the D-Pad.
It's not as darn good as the Megadrive 6 button pad. (Best D Pad of all time).
First time I played Marvel vs Capcom 2 my fingers really hurts... But now It works fine.
(Now I remember the fingers that hurts me were the right fingers 'bout the two button specials :P)
atentamente a su ombligo:
el dr. apocalipsis Nil

Don't hesitate about correct my english :oops:
Christuserloeser

@Meta: I got a Japanese & US Pad too, they came with my DCs. They are absolutly identical except for the red swirl where we got a blue one. Still, in my opinion they aren't bad at all - well, as I said: at first they are, but after a short time they'll be just perfect. Not as good as SNES/NES or the MegaDrive/Genesis 6-Button Pads but still, good enuff.
dr apocalipsis wrote: Hope somebody make something similar with sega systems (Ehem, If anyone needs helps with that contact me :D )
Well, you can have a look at some early studies and promising looking WIPs of BlackAura's GenesisPlusDC menu here:
http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=62701

Also, SMSplusDC already has a fantastic menu! If you've never tried that emu, give it a go with DCEvolution's S8 DEP:
Download: http://www.dcevolution.net/cgi-bin/down ... DEPv1b.zip
retrogamer
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by retrogamer »

GREAT JOB SCHERZO!

NesterDc SE is more than anyone of us could have ever expected. Your dedication and hard work are greatly appreciated. I would love to see on a future release if possible faster scrolling through the games list, the return to menu option moved to the top of the list instead of at the bottom which would save having to go through all of those options to access the games list since the return to menu option tends to be the most heavily used feature. Also when a game is saved to the favorites list it would be great if it was removed from the ALL list to cutdown on having to scroll through the entire list if it is not possible to implement rapid scrolling. An entire USA release list takes quite a bit of time to scroll all the way through without a fast scroll feature currently having been added in this release. One tends to lose interest in the rest of the games once you get to the L titles due to thumb cramping. Analog stick scrolling would be awsome when the D-PAD option has been selected for in game control.
Most importantly you should add your Paypal address or a mailing address to your website where donations can be sent to. I for one would like to make a donation for all of your hard work. Your emulator has set the standard for all other emulators to follow. Thanks for keeping the NES alive! Nintendo should pay you and incorporate your emulator into the Revolution and allow the games to be downloaded from their website in one bulk download similar to the way we were able to download all of the box shots, manuals, etc for your emulator. Think of the possibilities ($$$) with your emulator format on the revoultion for NES, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA, and N64 games.
Christuserloeser

Hey, reading ur post I got some kind of a deja vu ;)