Modem/Router Recomendations.

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Modem/Router Recomendations.

Post by Matisfaction »

I've just upgraded from 250k broadband to 1mb and seen as I'm still on a USB modem :(, I was thinking that maybe i should get a new Modem/Router type combo?

It's gonna be a lot easier via Ethernet than USB. And a router type thing would be handy to have as i've got a DC BBA coming soon.

I don't really need wireless right now, so just ethernet is cool, Anyone got any good recommendations?
Bertrude
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Bertrude »

You using a mac?

Not that it really matters though but it's where my experience lies. I've just gone onto broadband but decided to go wireless. I plumped for this Netgear Router:

http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_broad ... g834gt.php

And so far, so good. It's working fine with my 800mhz G4 iMac and an older Airport card. I think it cost about ?68 before VAT. It was more expensive than just a wired router but it is a fast modem and comes with 4 ethernet ports so you can use it for wired or wireless uses.

I guess it depends on how much you want to spend and how you intend using it. I wanted a fast one in the hope that it would be a bit more future proof and again this was my reason for wireless too as it's the future man - or so I'm led to believe (as well as the hope that it might work with my Nintendo DS). The ethernet ports are a bonus for me as in the future it may do as a small local network hub. Then again I guess I'd be doing that wirelessly if possible. I have the choice now anyway. The wireless is good too - I have the router downstairs and my mac is in my bedroom and i get a good signal all of the time.

I've been up broadbanding for about 6 weeks though so maybe it's not really a good recommendation after all. Why did I reply
:roll:
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

For a router, I use a Linksys WRT54G. I can't stress enough how good these are, simply because linksys released the source code to their firmware. Haven't had many problems at all with either of the two I own.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Bertrude wrote:You using a mac?..........
http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_broad ... g834gt.php
Yeah I'm on a mac, Just spotted this. Not exactly the same but.....Nice price
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Linksys WRT54G
It's thinking...
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

|darc| wrote:Linksys WRT54G
I would go with that as well, but does it do wireless as well? while the OP may not have asked for wireless in particular, I know Ive been interested in getting one, but I would rather have a wireless router first and foremost.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Yes, it is wireless.
It's thinking...
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I've heard nothing but praise for the Linksys WRT54G. I personally don't have one and opted for a cheapass Belkin. It does the job for what I use it for, but you can't really put cost over quality in hardware.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

another vote for thw WRT54G, got one here at my dads place, and one at my moms place, never had any trouble with either

and there are a lot of firmware mods, like 3x boost in wlan power (greater range) and such
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007