Speaking of FPS, how's Quake 4?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Speaking of FPS, how's Quake 4?

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

I saw a Quake 4 in Target about a month ago and was really tempted to buy it just on the fact that I like the Quake series so much. Any one try it? Is it more like Arena or Q2 or somewhere in between. The screenshots make it look like it's like Doom 3. It uses the Doom 3 engine, doesn't it? Hmmm, I don't have the hardware to support a game like Doom 3 yet. Debating with yourself sure is fun, ain't it?
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Post by Matt »

I didn't try it. HL2 and now Call of Duty 2 are keeping me from any other games
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

i got it (collectors edition even, just for the Q2 exp packs) and its great imho

the multiplayer is in most cases just a revamp of Q3, although obviously a lot of weapons were changed around, the single player reminds me of a cross between Q2 and doom3, not that i played Doom3 that much, but its a lot less claustrofobic then Doom, although not as open and wide as Q2

one thing though, it does run the doom 3 engine, which is pretty heavy, and te game looks amazing, so if you want high res stuff, you better have the hardware to run it

the single player is rather short, ive nearly finished it in whatever short time i slipped in in weekends, but it is a very cool story imho, and i gues there will be some mods around too soon
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

It's worse than Doom 3.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

These Q2 expansion packs you speak of, Freeze. Are they basically Q2 maps for Q4? That would be pretty sweet. I love the Q2 multiplayer maps.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

no they arent

in the collectors edition, you get q2, and both expansions for Q2 (the reckoning, ground zero) they are still Q2 style still, but i was enjoying Q2 a while back, and i would have liked the exp packs, hence me getting the collectors edition

and Xylene, maybe you should work on your views on life
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Disheveled DrFreeze wrote:and Xylene, maybe you should work on your views on life
You're so right. Ya know, I guess becuase I don't like a video game I have a bad outlook on life.

The game is a peice of crap.

I guess beings you don't like Steam you better work on your's as well.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Xylene wrote:
Disheveled DrFreeze wrote:and Xylene, maybe you should work on your views on life
You're so right. Ya know, I guess becuase I don't like a video game I have a bad outlook on life.

its not because you diss on Quake, i can take it if you dont like something, its just that every post of yours i read is like " XX sucks" or something like that

and yes, i know my own personal outlook on life could do with some work, im well aware im not 100% sane, or whatever society claims sane to be
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Disheveled DrFreeze wrote:
Xylene wrote:

its not because you diss on Quake, i can take it if you dont like something, its just that every post of yours i read is like " XX sucks" or something like that

and yes, i know my own personal outlook on life could do with some work, im well aware im not 100% sane, or whatever society claims sane to be
If I say something sucks it should be understood that I mean that in my opinion. I'll make sure I spell it out next time.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Xylene wrote:

yours
It's thinking...
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Xylene wrote:
Disheveled DrFreeze wrote:
Xylene wrote:

If I say something sucks it should be understood that I mean that in my opinion. I'll make sure I spell it out next time.
I just think you should state a bit about why you don't like it. More informative that way.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

|darc| wrote:
Xylene wrote:

yours
Damnit. I've been doing that a lot lately.
Lartrak wrote:I just think you should state a bit about why you don't like it. More informative that way.
Ok. Becuase it looks just like Doom 3 and is nothing like Quake 3.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

It's an alright game. I played it for a while then I got CoD2 and Civ4. I haven't touched it since. Just been too busy.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
AntiPro
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by AntiPro »

I think the 360 version of Quake 4 has all Quake 2 stuff aswell but...

it will also have Quake 2 splitscreen multiplayer and CoOp.

I haven't totally verified this but I'll know for sure in a few days when reviews start cropping up.

I think the Coop might even be 4 player so get ready to be punched in the balls
Plastics.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

|darc| wrote:
Xylene wrote:

yours
I don't get it. You correct the people that actually can form proper sentences and use proper grammar 99% of the time, but you don't even bother with DrFreeze's posts, which are far worse. Why?
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Ok. Becuase it looks just like Doom 3 and is nothing like Quake 3.
You wanted another tournament based shooter? Or is the playstyle just different?

Too lazy to bother reading reviews..
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

melancholy wrote:
|darc| wrote:
Xylene wrote:

yours
I don't get it. You correct the people that actually can form proper sentences and use proper grammar 99% of the time, but you don't even bother with DrFreeze's posts, which are far worse. Why?
It's obvious he's beyond help.

Besides, my mind has two "modes" of reading--regular reading, for posts like Xylene's or yours, and a slower error-catching reading, for people who cannot properly communicate, like DrFreeze. If I read Xylene's post regularly, my brain picks up "your's" as "your is," which is obviously incorrect. If I read DrFreeze's posts, my brain is automatically compensating for lack of literacy. For that reason my mind will flag a Xylene post before it will a DrFreeze post.
It's thinking...
AntiPro
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by AntiPro »

theyre making a QuakeWars game thatll be mostly mutliplayer.

it looks more like a UT 2004 rip off than anything like Arena though...
Plastics.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

It's a very straightforward shooter, much like Quake 2. If you like mindless shooting, then this game is great. It also runs better than Doom 3 on lower end systems, despite having higher system requirements.
AntiPro
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by AntiPro »

do you have to carry around a flashlight the whole time?
Plastics.