SMES QUESTION:

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Pablo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

SMES QUESTION:

Post by Pablo »

Just bought a boxed snes console from ebay, and in the auction the seller said that the casing of the snes turned a light-brownish color over time; so my question is, what can I use, if anything, to return it to its regular grey colour? or maybe I should just paint it.

My aplogies if this question has been asked before.

Thanks
Pablo

*edit by Pablo: I just noticed that I called it an smes in the thread topic; lol! :lol:
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

You can edit the thread title ;)

I'd paint it, give it a better look than grey, as I thought it was rather plain looking.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Yeah, strangely it's only the bottom half of the case that turns brown. As far as I know you can't really "clean" it. It may be possible to e.g. sand it off but that would be messy and might not make it look very good when you're all done. I'd say paint is probably the way to go.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
ptr.exe
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ptr.exe »

On my two SNES consoles its the top half that has yellowed. I think it's bleached if it is strong sunlight and changes the colour of the plastic. Anyway, there is no way of getting rid of it except painting over it.
Orange_Ribbon wrote:It is also the reason why you can't wear tight pants. Damn anal warts.

Millenium Falcon Dreamcast
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

only some models of the uk snes have this problem, mine is fine after all this time still, do a paint mod on it.
TheSiggler
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by TheSiggler »

My North American SNES, the ugly beast version, the top part of the shell turned yellow over the years. It was always in my entertainment unit.. never in contact with direct sunlight, so I doubt that's the cause. No smokers in my family either.

.... *runs to google*

So.. what I found was.. that over a period of a few years, the plastic just simply changes colour. Apparently Nintendo used cheap plastic for the first few batches of SNESs, and later switched to a better, non yellowing plastic. So you'll find some SNESs that turn all yellow, some with only one 'bad' section, like mine, the top. And some that won't turn yellow at all. Seems the NES and some other things, like the C64, had this problem too.

Also seems it can't be cleaned, only replaced/painted.
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

Paint it. You can do cool things with SNES and paint.
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
Pablo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Pablo »

Yeah, I'll paint it. I was thinking of maybe painting it either black or like a baby blue.

And I've always thought the super famicom looked better than its north american counterpart. :wink: