Eep, what am I doing wrong.

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Midgar
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Eep, what am I doing wrong.

Post by Midgar »

Well, I've followed the directions for QuakeDC and the Utopia BootDisc (cause the darn selfbooting QuakeDC thing didn't seem to work).

Anyways, I put them into my Dreamcast and it just doesn't work.. the Quake Disc pops up the CD Player.. the Utopia nothing, like it's just blank disc.

Are there any Dreamcast that aren't CDr compatible? ( I'd have to go check while model number on mine) Although the list says they all work...

I'm using Nero v5.5.8.2 and a Philips 24x12x40 CDrw if that helps.
iantri
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by iantri »

No.. there are no Dreamcasts that don't work with CD-Rs, but there are some that don't work with the old AUDIO/DATA format which has a 300 sector audio track followed by the data. A data track can be used instead of audio, and it works on all Dreamcasts.

Are you getting any strange messages when you burn it?

Try burning it on another burner.
Midgar
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Midgar »

Well I give up, this just doesn't work.

I've tried both Nero and DiskJuggler (yuck, wouldn't even write to a CD).

*sigh*
fishman
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by fishman »

like he said try burning on a diferent burner...........thats what i'm gonna do also (try burning boot disk on a friends or something)
Midgar
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Midgar »

Yeah, I know what he meant and I'm thankful for the reply.. but using someone else's is out of the question, no one else I know has a CDR/W Drive. So...

I'll keep trying.. I have 97 CDrs left..

;|
Midgar
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Midgar »

Argh, still no luck.. are some CDrw Drives incompatible with burning readable Dreamcast games? This is such a let down, if I wasn't such a "Cdrw Newbie" *sighs*.

I have a Philips CD ReWriter 24x12x40 (PCRW2412) and I'm using some (cheap) Memorex 24x (80 minute) CDrs.
Midgar
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Midgar »

Hrm, you know.. I had bought a GameShark CDX from Best Buy, and it refused to load too...

Ah well *discusses with himself*

I'll figure this out I guess...
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Your Dreamcast is incompatible with the old AUDIO/DATA format. This is what the GameShark CDX is using.

What program are you using to burn QuakeDC ? Are you using disc images ? Most AUDIO/DATA-incompatible Dreamcasts can boot from DATA/DATA, so you might want to create a DATA/DATA image and see if that works.

If neither AUDIO/DATA nor DATA/DATA works, than you're just out of luck. :(
It's thinking...
Midgar
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Midgar »

Ah, I've burned Data/Data (both CDrom/Iso) and (Iso/Iso).. I'll take the disc (if they're not ruined from me throwing them at the wall, oops) to my friends house this week and test them on his Dreamcast.

If they work, it's time to invest in a second Dreamcast (if I can find one!).

Well thanks for the help guys. ;p
iantri
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by iantri »

Care to explain what you mean by 'CD-ROM/ISO', and 'ISO/ISO'?
Midgar
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Midgar »

Bleh, well I don't know how to explain it (read: still a Cdrw newbie)

But in the Multisession window in Nero it had CD-Rom Type/ISO Type, and ISO Type/ISO Type (Data/Data, I'm guessing?) instead of CDrom/Audio (Data/Audio)..

If I've got this all wrong please tell me ;p
yodanut
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by yodanut »

Did you try to use Pinoy's self-boot kit? It uses the bin2boot program, which I've read makes image files bootable on all DCs. I could be wrong, though, since my DC is not one of these problematic ones. The utility will only make Quake without music, though, but I'm guessing that's not your biggest problem right now.

Keep the faith! I wasted 8 CDRs to get QuakeDC with music right!
Metroid Evolution
Helping evolve the Metroid series.
Midgar
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Midgar »

Yeah, that's exactly what I tried, and while it was nice and easy to create the Image, the darn CD just didn't work.

I don't know, I'm going to check out my friend's Dreamcast (see if he has a GS-CDX compatible DC too.. I'll have to switch em when he's not looking) ;p

Stinks there's no source code for Q1 - DC, I've been messing with the Q1 src for awhile now, I'd like to mess with the DC version's src, that's if I can get it to work. ;p

And while I have an open thread I mise well ask, is the BBA really worth $110?
yodanut
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by yodanut »

Yeah, it's probably better that you try it out on another DC first. It might not be the DC at all. I also recommend you try out some of the ready made images (maybe SmashDC or one of those homebrews) on his DC, just in case. It might help determine if the problem comes when you create the Quake image or when you burn it.

The Broadband adapter is what it sounds like: a much faster modem. With no new games coming out, you'll have to really decide for yourself if 110 is too high for it. It does work great, though, and it's a good price for a rare piece of hardware.
Metroid Evolution
Helping evolve the Metroid series.
Midgar
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Midgar »

Well I hate to keep beating a dead horse (this thread) but I tried the discs on my friend's Dreamcast and it worked, so I asked him to just swap systems with me (lol) and he all but gave me his Dreamcast, so now I just have to remember which Dreamcast is which... ;p

Ah, well I know hardly any games support the BBA, but I was assuming the Web Browser software does, cause even though the VMU Saves are small enough, I'd still rather just use my DSL to grab them.

Well I'd still like to know why my system wouldn't play the discs, but I have one that will now. Thanks for all the feedback, nice people.
Bmw575
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

i have the same problem

Post by Bmw575 »

i have the exact same problem as midgar did on his old machine, i dont know anyone else who has a dreamcast (they all sold them for ps2 or whatever) so if anyone could help me out itwould be apretiated. ive been trying for 4 days now and ive tried everything that midgar has, except for an alternate dreamcast.
Midgar
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Midgar »

Bmw575, ah.. I don't know, I guess not all Dreamcast can read CDrs.
I still can get my original Dreamcast (Sonic Advenutre, Shuffle, and Blue VMU Bundle) to play them. What Model Number do you have?
Bmw575
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Bmw575 »

i think my model number is hkt-3020. if this isnt the right number, let me know.
Bmw575
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Bmw575 »

ive been using cdrw's after i screwed u plike 10 cdr's will they work the same??
Synlor
Official DCEMU Stalker
Official DCEMU Stalker

Post by Synlor »

Bmw575 wrote:ive been using cdrw's after i screwed u plike 10 cdr's will they work the same??
the dreamcast can't use cdrws, because of the laser and all that stuff i don't wanna get into. you have to use a cdr, i know its a pain, but thats all that works
Thanks to Digital Chaos, GoldbergWWE, and ace for the avatar, sig, and badge!
http://devcast.dcemulation.com