N.J. Eatery Writes 'Jew Couple' on Check

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Roofus »

Being polite != forfeiting freedom of speech, just as assholes like to hide behind "just being honest."

Writing "Jew Couple" on the check was rude and the person that did it deserves to be fired.
Gav-X
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gav-X »

Wagh wrote:
mikozero wrote:
Gav-X wrote:one should be free to think whatever they want. Expressing it, however, is another issue and requires some ground rules (respect, common sense, logical political correctness) because expression means interaction which can result in offensive situations.
long rant,
just one little thing, don't espouse 'political correctness' as a limit on freedom of speech.
if i wish to offend (and face the consequences) i shall.
So True.
I phrased myself wrongly. What I meant was that one should use those three ground rules for oneself and as a guideline. I don't advocate limitation of freedom of speech and never will. I apologize for the poor choice of words.

P.S: I did bold out logical when referring to political correctness, as the beaurocratical version of it that is omnipresent in these times sickens me to no end, mostly because of the hypocresy of its wielders.
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

Gav-X wrote:
Godfearing greay wrote:The context was WWII, so I know that wasn't what's offensive. Were you offended just because it was Sicario saying it?
Sicario's first two posts on the subject were very offensive ones. In light of that, I concluded he didn't use that word as a noun but rather as a derogatory adjective.
Sicario can often be an ass, there's no question about that, but if you read what he wrote, there's no question that he was using the word "Jew" as a noun, because, well, that's the word for people who practice Judaism.
Gav-X wrote:
Godfearing greay wrote:No, you're wrong. You're right that not all Jews are hardcore devotees, but it's still a safe assumption that someone who is "obviously" Jewish (wearing a yarmulke?) is going to be concerned about keeping kosher. A safe assumption doesn't mean you're going to be right 100% of the time. All it means is you're probably not going to get in trouble if you're wrong.
FETUS was alluding to a generic scenario and didn't mention a yarmulke. As for your own argument, I disagree with you. First of all, if someone is really concerned about getting kosher food they won't go into a run-of-the-mill diner. Second, there are virtually endless ways to approach a religion and therefore an endless amount of reasons one would wear a yarmulke. Besides, I am not trying to correct people's thoughts here, one should be free to think whatever they want. Expressing it, however, is another issue and requires some ground rules (respect, common sense, logical political correctness) because expression means interaction which can result in offensive situations.
<shrug> I guess it depends on the situation and we're both imagining different situations. You're, pretty much, assuming that the couple's not keeping kosher. I'm assuming that they won't be offended if the assumption's wrong.
I'm a lone wolf looking for trouble.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

mikozero wrote:
Gav-X wrote:one should be free to think whatever they want. Expressing it, however, is another issue and requires some ground rules (respect, common sense, logical political correctness) because expression means interaction which can result in offensive situations.
long rant,
just one little thing, don't espouse 'political correctness' as a limit on freedom of speech.
a spade is a spade & i dock my cap to no man.
The only people that have to keep freedom of speech are government entities. People that run private establishments (like a restaurant or a forum) can enforce their own rules, and there's nothing you can do except leave if you don't like it.
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

my comment has nothing to do with the restaurant, bill or the comment written on it and like i said
and quite honestly your point makes the US constitution sound like a very weak document if that is truly the case.

i don't live in the US, i have no 'right to freedom of speech', but i exercise it just the same.
i gave it to myself, and i have no intention of relinquishing it under any circumstances till i'm six feet under.

at the end of the day you can open your mouth and say whatever the hell you want, in spite of rules, laws, or constitution.
the only thing that could really stop you would be a gag or a punch in the mouth...
Last edited by mikozero on Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:51 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

Shall "jew" be added to the board's word filter? :P
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Stormwatch wrote:Shall "jew" be added to the board's word filter? :P
Shut up, jew.
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

Don't jew me!
. . whispered
Gav-X
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gav-X »

Stormwatch wrote:Shall "jew" be added to the board's word filter? :P
Not really. I'm not the only person on this board and I will gladly abide by the decition of the mayority. About the following two posts: :roll:.

Xylene, are you planning to contribute anything worthwhile to this thread?

One more thing:
Roofus wrote:Being polite != forfeiting freedom of speech, just as assholes like to hide behind "just being honest."
Quoted for great truth.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

I was going to quote a bunch of dictionaries I have lying around my house, but the I figured, what is the point, you are obviously only pretending to be offended because you got owned when you realized sicario didn't say jew to be offensive.
Gav-X
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gav-X »

Godfearing greay: we'll just have to agree to disagree :).

ace: I felt what I felt and it doesn't have to make sense to you. I explained my reasons for my reaction and if you don't agree/believe in them that's fine. I don't see this is as a competition to own or belittle people, so think whatever you want.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Sorry, I was being facetious, only somewhat serious :D
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Gav-X wrote:Xylene, are you planning to contribute anything worthwhile to this thread?
Nope.

Though it doesn't look like anyone has.
Gav-X
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gav-X »

Xylene wrote:
Gav-X wrote:Xylene, are you planning to contribute anything worthwhile to this thread?
Nope.

Though it doesn't look like anyone has.
Granted, this has gone way off topic.
IiLuSiv
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by IiLuSiv »

That's completely wrong and is based on a stereotype that dates back to the middle ages when the first banks ever were created by jewish people. I am not rich at all, and most of the jewish acquaintances I have belong at most in the middle-high class purchasing power.
And like Jews have in any country they live in- wealth mostly,
Sorry to beat a dead horse.

After reading over this thread, that came to me as funny and ironic.

We Jewish people are not rich, a lot of us are only just quite well off! :P

This is a stereotype but it is also a true one. :oops:

Jewish Americans are the wealthiest people in the country with the average per capita income for a family with two children being 120,000 dollars a year.

Three times national average. Fifty percent of the Jewish population living below this amount and fifty percent living above it. There are some poor Jewish people, but very few. Jewish people are the wealthiest group in the country.
I have a secret...
you
got
punkd
lo

ser
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

mikozero wrote:and quite honestly your point makes the US constitution sound like a very weak document if that is truly the case.
The point was if I own a business, and you come in there, and I don't like how you look, I can kick you out and there's nothing you can do about it. If you stay, I call the cops and you get charged with trespassing.

Your rights only extend to public areas. The whole point of freedom of speech is to be able to criticize the government in public without fear of being executed. Weak constitution, pff, we invented the whole idea of a written constitution!
Gav-X
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gav-X »

IiLuSiv wrote:Sorry to beat a dead horse.

After reading over this thread, that came to me as funny and ironic.

We Jewish people are not rich, a lot of us are only just quite well off! :P

This is a stereotype but it is also a true one. :oops:

Jewish Americans are the wealthiest people in the country with the average per capita income for a family with two children being 120,000 dollars a year.

Three times national average. Fifty percent of the Jewish population living below this amount and fifty percent living above it. There are some poor Jewish people, but very few. Jewish people are the wealthiest group in the country.
Really? Please show us some kind of official statistic from a reliable source.

In any case, your post is wrong in many spots. We'd have to see how many families in USA earn 120k+ dollars a year, then see what percentage of those families are jewish. Then we should have to do the same thing with catholics, muslims, etc and see which religious group has the biggest percentage of the richest people.
If this shows that what you say is true, it would still have no value. Just focusing on the wealthiest families is completely biased and worthless as a statistic measure of how "wealthy" the jewish community is. Concentrating on the few people that earn hundreds of thousands of dollars a year has never been an accurate way of depicting the purchasing power of a group of people, jewish or not. What you really should be looking for is the average earnings per year of the whole community.

Again, all of this should be backed up by official statistics from reliable sources and not hearsay.

If, after all this, your statement still proves true, it's still worthless because you are only taking the USA into account.
Gav-X
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gav-X »

Butters wrote:
mikozero wrote:and quite honestly your point makes the US constitution sound like a very weak document if that is truly the case.
The point was if I own a business, and you come in there, and I don't like how you look, I can kick you out and there's nothing you can do about it. If you stay, I call the cops and you get charged with trespassing.

Your rights only extend to public areas. The whole point of freedom of speech is to be able to criticize the government in public without fear of being executed. Weak constitution, pff, we invented the whole idea of a written constitution!
I completely agree with you. Sadly though, it's too easy to hire a lawyer, begin a media circus and go around many things the law or the constituion hold as sacred :(.
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

Actually, Gav, there's some truth to the stereotype, for geographical reasons.

Around 1/3rd of all american jews live in New York city; now, correct me if I'm mistaken, but I suppose people who live in big cities tend to have higher incomes than those who live in smaller cities. Thus, it makes sense that a higher percentage of jews have higher incomes, in comparison to ethnical groups that did the "go west" thing.

And of course there's a cultural factor: jewish families tend to treasure education.

Now, if they only gave up on that retarded "cut the wee-wee" thing... :roll:
. . whispered
-Azathoth-
Jounin Shinobi
Jounin Shinobi

Post by -Azathoth- »

Just to get back on topic, Jew is not an offensive word. If you feel offended by it then you have much bigger problems than being easily insulted.

I lived in Manhattan for 8+ years. 75% of the people I've worked with are Jewish. My wife's boss is Jewish and we are very close with his family.

None of them have a problem with the word. I've watched countless documentary programs where we have Jewish scholars referring to Jews of past ages as "Jews".

What the hell is wrong with you people. We arent living in 1940's Germany. It's just a word. Get over it.
"Deviantart is the home of messed up emo kids"