N.J. Eatery Writes 'Jew Couple' on Check

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
AuroEdge
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

N.J. Eatery Writes 'Jew Couple' on Check

Post by AuroEdge »

The bill was a shocker, and not because of the amount. After eating at a Jersey shore restaurant, Elliott Stein and his girlfriend were handed a bill that said "Jew Couple" near the bottom, as a table identifier used by the waitstaff. The slur also turned up on Stein's credit card statement weeks later.

"My grandfather went through all that in old-school Europe," Stein, a New Yorker and a regular at the restaurant, told the New York Post. "But that happened more than 50 years ago. You don't expect it to happen in 2005."

The New Jersey Attorney General's Office said Wednesday it is investigating the July incident at Parkhill's Waterfront Grill through its Division on Civil Rights.

Stein, 23, could not be reached for comment Wednesday. He did not return two telephone messages left at his office.

The server, identified on the check only as Karina, is no longer working at the restaurant, general manager Malia Wells said Wednesday. Wells wouldn't say if it was because of the incident.

"We don't run our establishment like that," Wells said. "It was definitely poor judgment on her part."

Stephen Reid, a spokesman for the restaurant, said it had been the waitstaff's practice to use descriptions of diners to identify them on checks, instead of using the number of their table, as many establishments do.

He said racial slurs were never used to describe diners.

Read Article Here
"The only difference between the Democrats and the Republicans is
that the Democrats allow the poor to be corrupt, too." -Oscar Levant
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

didn't know calling a jewish person a jew was a slur.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

Ehh... That's a bit of a stretch.

Not really racism, when you're dealing with tons of faces a day, its easier to remember with things like, jew couple, big black dude, pimply teen, flamboyant gay.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

I like her name, I bet she was hot just because of her name and she's a waitress.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
Sicario
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by Sicario »

That eatery sucks why would they even allow jews in the establishment? Save for the oven, they've no reason to be anywhere near Christian Israelites while they eat.
Fyifa Is In Love With Drajjia?
Drajjia is so drugs with Fyifa?

-Can I screw your nephew?
-Azathoth-
Jounin Shinobi
Jounin Shinobi

Post by -Azathoth- »

Incredible overreaction? I think so. The simple fact that the word "jew" was coined as a slur speaks volumes.
"Deviantart is the home of messed up emo kids"
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

Yeah, her writing Jew on the check is like writing African Amercian, Pole, Dane, Mexican, etc.. Technically harmless. But to single them out as the "Jew Couple" instead of using their table number is definitely asking for trouble.
Gav-X
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gav-X »

Wagh: jew is like saying "nigger" and "jewish" is like saying "african american", there is a difference between both words.

jaredfogle: it is a bit of a stretch and firing her was a bit too much, but even though you're right and given the amount of people that a waiter must see every day, remembering specific features is easier, that's what one's mind is for. Thoughts are private, written words are not. Besides, Strapping Scherzo is right, she singled them out (and how did she know they were jewish? they probably looked stereotypical, but she can't have known for sure...) and that is plain wrong.

-Azathoth-: yeah, it was an overreaction and some kind of sensitivity class would have sufficed. As for the rest of your post, I answer the same thing I answered to Wagh.

Sicario: you will be reported to the mods.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Gav-X wrote:Wagh: jew is like saying "racism is bad, mmmkay" and "jewish" is like saying "african american", there is a difference between both words.
Never had a jewish person tell me that. Ever. But whatever.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Gav-X wrote:Wagh: jew is like saying "nigger".
Usage Note: It is widely recognized that the attributive use of the noun Jew, in phrases such as Jew lawyer or Jew ethics, is both vulgar and highly offensive. In such contexts Jewish is the only acceptable possibility. Some people, however, have become so wary of this construction that they have extended the stigma to any use of Jew as a noun, a practice that carries risks of its own. In a sentence such as There are now several Jews on the council, which is unobjectionable, the substitution of a circumlocution like Jewish people or persons of Jewish background may in itself cause offense for seeming to imply that Jew has a negative connotation when used as a noun.
It's thinking...
Gav-X
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gav-X »

obviously, I didn't write "racism is bad, mmmkay", but nigg@r.

Wagh: if you have jewish acquaintances, ask around. Some will tell you it is, some will tell you it isn't. Besides, it all comes down to personal opinion, and in case like this, only one person has to feel offended for it to matter. These persons felt offended and that's that.

[read |darc|'s edit]Well, I'd rather use There are now several jewish persons on the council in the example you provided. Again, it's just a matter of adjusting oneself to whatever offends someone else.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

If I got a check and it had the "Honkey couple" writen on it Id probably just laugh.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Sicario
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by Sicario »

Maybe they got labeled that way cuz they were cheap?
Fyifa Is In Love With Drajjia?
Drajjia is so drugs with Fyifa?

-Can I screw your nephew?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Veggita2099 wrote:If I got a check and it had the "Honkey couple" writen on it Id probably just laugh.
Your race was never gassed, killed, burned, and experimented on.
It's thinking...
Gav-X
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gav-X »

|darc| wrote:
Veggita2099 wrote:If I got a check and it had the "Honkey couple" writen on it Id probably just laugh.
I assume your intentions when posting that were good, but that comment does more harm than good. You see, jewish people didn't get the worst deal on WW2, that was actually the russians (27 millions counting soldiers and civilians). Even if we had had the most casualties, that shouldn't be used as a freepass pity card. The reason to be offended by racial slurs is because they portray an unfair, derogatory picture of a group of people.

Sicario, you will be reported to the mods again. Cut it out, internet anonimacy is not a reason to act like a coward jerk. You are not impressing anyone.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

African American, please.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Gav-X wrote:
|darc| wrote:
I assume your intentions when posting that were good, but that comment does more harm than good. You see, jewish people didn't get the worst deal on WW2, that was actually the russians (27 millions counting soldiers and civilians). Even if we had had the most casualties, that shouldn't be used as a freepass pity card. The reason to be offended by racial slurs is because they portray an unfair, derogatory picture of a group of people.
That's irrelevant. The Jews were the ones discriminated against, herded together, and destroyed. The reason was simply because of ignorant hatred.

The Russians were shot because they were the enemy.

I'm not saying the Nazis loved Russians at any rate, but it was certainly the Jews that their actions were geared against. It's highly unlikely that a Neonazi would go after Russians, but highly likely that they would go after a Jew. A Jew would be the one to be afraid.
It's thinking...
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS »

What if instead of just a table number they used "Jew couple" so everyone in the kitchen would be sure everything in there meal was cosher?
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

Could be. Then again, not all jews actually care about kosher.
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
Gav-X
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gav-X »

|darc| wrote:That's irrelevant. The Jews were the ones discriminated against, herded together, and destroyed. The reason was simply because of ignorant hatred.

The Russians were shot because they were the enemy.

I'm not saying the Nazis loved Russians at any rate, but it was certainly the Jews that their actions were geared against. It's highly unlikely that a Neonazi would go after Russians, but highly likely that they would go after a Jew. A Jew would be the one to be afraid.
I never thought about it that way, you make a very good point.