The Help DarkSavant0 build a 200 dollar computer thread

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

The Help DarkSavant0 build a 200 dollar computer thread

Post by Sir Savant »

Inspired by the news I saw on the osx86project.org, I would like to build a $200(US, not canadian or mexican or anything else) PC. I will put linux on it and triple boot to 98 and xp, so don't worry about OS's. Here are the parts I have in mind.

Motherboard and CPU, 2.9ghz at $130
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... &CatId=191

256 MB Ram (one stick for now) at $19.00
http://store.yahoo.com/pcmemory-stores/ ... toemf.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWN:IT
30 gig Hard Drive at $28.00

Case\Fan\PSU at $32.00

CD-RW Drive for free (scavenged)

Floppy Drive for free (scavenged)

I get an $80 rebate on the the motherboard/cpu, so I save money there. If I can go for better on any part(being compatible with the rest, mind you) for a comparable price, please post. I plan on starting to order by friday, so I can have it built by the second to third week of school.

EDIT: Updated items, all bought. Donations and VERY CHEAP additions excepted. Like 5.00 shipped optical drives
Last edited by Sir Savant on Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

LOL TigerDirect for rebates. You won't get your money.
ETR
Dumb

Post by ETR »

Xylene wrote:LOL TigerDirect for rebates. You won't get your money.
We've gotten everyone we've sent in. Wireless card, CPU Fan, power supply, and range boosting antenna.
Smiley wrote:I was bored and like to hear myself talk, that's all....
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

No, I will get them. I have a hispanic mother who will be damned if she doesn't get the rebates. She once argued for a rebate that went up after I bought a monitor and she eventually got me the 80 dollar rebate and store credit. If TigerDirect is bullsh1ting about it, my mom would have half a mind to go down to the warehouse.

I bought the Motherboard/processor and ram. Looking at ebay for hard drives and a case since the case on that site would cost 30 shipped. Any other advice?
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

ETR wrote:
Xylene wrote:LOL TigerDirect for rebates. You won't get your money.
We've gotten everyone we've sent in. Wireless card, CPU Fan, power supply, and range boosting antenna.
Consider yourself lucky. Everytime I hear about TigerDirect rebates it's people saying they didn't get them.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Hard Drive

Case/PSU/Fan

I bought them just now. A little over 200 (all right, maybe like 30 bucks) but I get the rebates, so I get my money back. But for now I cant afford a DVD Drive without my mom going nuts (I told her I would spend about 215), so if anyone can donate :lol: , I would appreciate it.

I just hope it works when I put it together.
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli »

Youre going to need a PSU if that $10 case doesn't come with one, which I'm almost 100% sure it doesn't.
girls keep telling me they want 8".. so i tell'm ok.. i'll fold it in half
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

LP-600 ATX Mid Tower Case with 235w Power Supply
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

I am getting the case in my third post, let me update my first post to reflect that.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

A 235 watt PSU isn't going to enough power for a modern computer. Not only that, but it will be dirty fluctuating power. Find some money and go Antec!
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Did you even see the one I am getting? 400w, not 235w. That 235w was from the older , $9.99 case.
The Alchemist
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by The Alchemist »

Case like that plus 400w PSU for $12? I smell a scam. Not saying it definitely is, just saying there's no way I'd trust it.

Also, spending a decent amount on a decent PSU is about the best thing you can do for system stability, which trust me will become more important than overall speed over time. Even if the PSU is rated at 400w, if it's running at 20% efficiency then all it'll be doing is creating lots of heat, costing lots of electricity, and not powering your system very well. Since you're getting a celeron and on-board VGA it'll probably do for now, but avoid using case fans unless they're absolutely necessary. In general though, you know the saying "If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is"... it applies to new PC parts and ebay auctions more than to most other things in life.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

I checked his feedback, seems okay. And anyways, I will be replacing that psu with a spare I may pick up from a friend at the flea market.
The Alchemist
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by The Alchemist »

Fair enough, I didn't see his feedback rating. You should be ok, just don't expect wonders from the PSU :wink:
kenmasters8319
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by kenmasters8319 »

hmm i built a sempron based system a year ago for around $230 on newegg.com..

here is the specs on it.

1.sempron 2400+
2.333mhz 256 ddr
3.dvd+r dual-layer burner
4.foxconn motheroard onboard graphics
5.rosewill case
6.basic optical mouse
7.basic keyboard

things i didnt buy.

monitor
OS

about the PSU as long as you use common sense you should be fine.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

I saw reviews on the PSU, it is not too bad, and I wont be placing anything power heavy on it, so no worries.

Anyways, I am reviving this thread since tomorrow the mobo will come, but I dont have a heatsink/processor fan. Anyone know of any good stores, or should I just pick one up used at a computer shop? A link would be appreciated if the shipping is dirt cheap, as I am now reaching my upper limits. Lol.