100th post and some good news!

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
DukeofURL
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

100th post and some good news!

Post by DukeofURL »

"Previously on the last episode of Duke's life"

Duke attempted the CDRW mod on his seemingly rare Dreamcast, unfortuanently for him he did not know it was rarer than usual. Duke tested his dreamcast and it did not work with any media.

Duke then remembered, "perhaps I overadjusted the potentiometer!" Duke recalled other topics dealing with this sort of thing. He tried to adjust the potentiometer "without!" pulling the CD ribbon out of the drive. After some tense moments, Duke tested again. The DC still did not run any media.

Thus was Duke stumped for the last several months. Until he went crazy and decided to take EVERY piece out of his DC in order to educate himself about other dreamcast parts.

After a tense battle with the modem, and a bewildered Duke who just releazed he had a liquid cooled DC on his hands -Duke put everything back together realizing that he was dealing with a rare DC. (At this point, Duke noticed that the circuit boards all had katana and naomi written on them instead of Dreamcast which was interesting in itself)

On his desk the dreamcast staid for several more months. Duke had several ideas, and even arranged for a transplant GDROM drive for his DC, (which wound up not pulling through) until...

On yesterdays episode of Duke's life...

Duke opened up his DC again, for today he was feeling lucky. He took readings on teh potentiometer, (everything checked out the same since the last time he took a reading) then he unhooked the GDROM drive, and there Duke noticed, the mettalic frame of the GDROM drive was bent, and the plug from the drive which would connect to the main board, was not in the correct position for a conection with the main board.

After Duke de-assembled the GDrom unit completely, he took several parts out, hooked the GDROM drive back up without the bent mettallic caseing, and lo and behold, his Dreamcast booted a serial link CDR. Duke was apprehensive, and tested his luck with Gauntlet Legends, (on GDROM) what was this? It did not work? Oh heavens...

Epilogue... (even though TV shows dont have them)

Duke tested several other games. They all worked. Emulators on CDR, games on GDROMs (except gauntlet legends and powerstone for some reason) and even a CDRW music cd worked on his previously broken dreamcast.

Duke then proceeded to his laptop to listen to MP3s and celebrate by browsing the internet.
NiGHTSFTP
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Post by NiGHTSFTP »

congrats!
Signatures images may be no greater than cock pixels high by dick pixels wide in dimension and balls kilobytes in filesize. Multiple images may be wang, but in total they may not exceed the johnson specifications.
OO7TDD

Post by OO7TDD »

dukes speaking of himself in third person scares OO7TDD.
pkScary
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by pkScary »

how about some pics? 8)
MidnightObsidian
Symbiotic Anomaly
Symbiotic Anomaly

Post by MidnightObsidian »

Awesome, duke. Congrats on the 100th post, and on repairing your Dreamcast. I'd really like to see a pic of this "bent metal piece". (And possibly of the liquid-cooling system; I've never seen one before.) I don't know why Power Stone and Gauntlet Legends won't run... it could be that they have irregular track layouts. Have you repeatedly tested the games?
I'm not Clessoulis. Seriously.
brain_donor
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Re: 100th post and some good news!

Post by brain_donor »

DukeofURL wrote:...he had a liquid cooled DC on his hands -Duke put everything back together realizing that he was dealing with a rare DC. (At this point, Duke noticed that the circuit boards all had katana and naomi written on them instead of Dreamcast which was interesting in itself)
I would like to see pics too. I have also never seen a liquid cooled DC, but I'm more interested in the katana/naomi markings. You may almost have something completely unique here, which served some developmental purpose, or perhaps the missing link between a full naomi arcade machine and a dreamcast? I would like to see how similar/different this is from 3 DC's I have at my home. BTW, what is your serial #. I've become interested in logging diferences between dreamcasts.
XantiaX
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by XantiaX »

lol serial number logging :) sounds like train spotting hehe

i have problems running an official powerstone on my official dreamcast so i wuldnt be surprised if it didnt work on a modded one. It starts to boot up but before anything powerstone represented pops up WHAM im put straight back to the boot up screen.
..::XantiaX::.. aka Chim-Chim Cootiesniffer
DukeofURL
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DukeofURL »

Sorry, I don't have a digital camera OR a scanner.

I do have a webcam, but I have no idea how to use it. (I've never hooked it up and I dont even think I have any software for it. Heck, I dont even know how I got it)
brain_donor
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by brain_donor »

DukeofURL wrote:Sorry, I don't have a digital camera OR a scanner.

I do have a webcam, but I have no idea how to use it. (I've never hooked it up and I dont even think I have any software for it. Heck, I dont even know how I got it)
I understand, but would you mind sharing your serial? and anyone else too! when I have collected a reasonable amout of info, I will try and make a date chart, in case people are interested in knowing when and what changes were made to dreamcasts.
DukeofURL
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DukeofURL »

Hmm, you posted quickly. I ran off to get my serial number and when I got back, you had posted.

The serial for my run of the mill DC is:
DU000429955 <-this is for an american console from July 2000

Here is my other DC's number:
DU998169749 <-this is for an american console from June 1998

I recall a topic on this board which had a liquid cooled DC. Im going to go and try to find the link. -I think the topics name was "hardware mods from hell"
brain_donor
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by brain_donor »

DukeofURL wrote:Hmm, you posted quickly. I ran off to get my serial number and when I got back, you had posted.

I recall a topic on this board which had a liquid cooled DC. Im going to go and try to find the link. -I think the topics name was "hardware mods from hell"
so the second one is the water cooled one? any other differences you can recall? (don't open it back up on account of me)
DukeofURL
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DukeofURL »

Yes, the second one is the water cooled one.

AND

here is a picture of a water cooled one I believe, as the cooling assembly looks very much like mine.

http://douglas.min.net/~drw/dreamcast/h ... ngassy.jpg

This was the link from (H)ardware mods from hell.

Oh, and I have no problems opening up my DC, I'll see if anyone I know has a digital camera or something.
pkScary
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by pkScary »

yay pics for everyone
someoneElse
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by someoneElse »

DukeofURL wrote:Yes, the second one is the water cooled one.

AND

here is a picture of a water cooled one I believe, as the cooling assembly looks very much like mine.

http://douglas.min.net/~drw/dreamcast/h ... ngassy.jpg

This was the link from (H)ardware mods from hell.

Oh, and I have no problems opening up my DC, I'll see if anyone I know has a digital camera or something.
"Water cooled"? Isn't that a heatpipe? Although the heatpipe does contain fluid to aid thermal transfer to the cooling assembly where the heat is dispersed, personally I would not consider the heatpipe to be liquid cooling.

I have one of those as well (my only system).

It has a serial of DU032480719 and a "manufacture date" of June 2000.
But I have read that there are NO US consoles released with heatpipe cooling at all, so I believed it had been an import console with a replacement casing. The fact that I bought it "open-box" from a retailer on Ebay that was selling many Dreamcasts, and noting the Modchip that was installed only seemed to reinforce that theory.

Obviously, if DukeofURL says that they have a US console that is likewise outfitted with heatpipe cooling, that would throw the import theory into a bit of a jam, unless that console also had the dubious origins of a facelift...

You can tell that this has confused me to no end........or until I think of something else, that is...;)
Can you survive Darwin's Blade? Sign up Today
evolution
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by evolution »

DukeofURL wrote:Hmm, you posted quickly. I ran off to get my serial number and when I got back, you had posted.

does the Dc# and year have anything to do with what the hardware can play and not play....
brain_donor
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by brain_donor »

evolution wrote:

does the Dc# and year have anything to do with what the hardware can play and not play....
I would be more concerned with the date of manufacture, becuase the latest models can only read cd-r's in data/data while older ones can read in audio/dada or data/data. I only wanted the serial numbers to profile the intenal hardware differences.
DukeofURL
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DukeofURL »

I will somehow prove to people that this is a US console...

It has no obvious signs of a face lift, it has no modchip, and my friend is not technically competent and has never opened it up for any reason. (I originally got this DC from my friend because he broke the GDROM unit)

Also, I remember him showing me his "ticket" which he had, showing me that he had reserved a DC for the launch day.

So for as far as I know, there is no way that this could have been an imported console.
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

I made a topic about a week ago trying to log the different versions of the dreamcast ( http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10656 ) but I didn't include serial numbers; it might be useful for someone, I dunno :roll:
evolution
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

So Tell me what can it do....

Post by evolution »

The serial for my DC:
DU063143232 <-this is for an american console from May 2000

So Tell me what can it do.. What can't it do?
and how do you get this information.....
brain_donor
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Re: So Tell me what can it do....

Post by brain_donor »

evolution wrote:The serial for my DC:
DU063143232 <-this is for an american console from May 2000

So Tell me what can it do.. What can't it do?
and how do you get this information.....
I can't tell you at the moment what it can and can't do, But I would like to be abled to, and possibly decode some info which may be hidden in the serial number.

I hope to collect this information by asking kind people such as yourselves for info on your dreamcasts, and looking inside every dreamcast I can physically get my hands on.