VMU Backup CD v1.1.0 Released!

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
evanft
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by evanft »

Thanks for the SBI.
hrb2k3
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by hrb2k3 »

:mrgreen:
DC FoReVeR.!!!
bucanero
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by bucanero »

hrb2k3 wrote:i made a cd with this using selfboot inducer 4. so i put some other stuff on the disc as well. nearly filled the whole cd. so that might be why some folders take a while to load. one example is the Shenmue 1 folder. it takes about 45 seconds or so to load up.

with SBI4, i made a .cdi image which means it used bin2boot. it puts all the data files in the first session and the table of contents of the files on the cd in the 2nd session. so the gd-rom is constantly seeking back and forth from the outside of the cd to the inside reading files.

i dunno, maybe you can test to see if the plain .cdi image takes a while to load the shenmue folder.

btw, i didnt notice before, but i like the music. real nice. one idea was to add a vmu manager so we can browse the files on the vmus a delete files etc..
I'll do some "benchmarking" tonight, and check out how long it takes to load the Shenmue dir. I'm pretty sure it loads fast, so it could be the fact that the GD drive has to seek back & forth to read the TOC of the disc and read the next file. (when you select a game, the app reads each .VMI file to know the file name, blocks size, etc)

I'll post the results here later.

btw, I'm glad you liked the music... is a S3M song called "Hakku", pretty nice. :)
You can see the song author's name & the rest of the credits if you press "Y" in the app. (an undocumented "easter egg" ;) )
bucanero
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by bucanero »

Just tested, loading "Shenmue 1: Chapter Yokosuka" took 7 seconds.

So there's clearly a difference between the .SBI disc and the original .CDI image.

For the next version, if you want fast loading times, try to burn the original CDI. :)
hrb2k3
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by hrb2k3 »

ok, so it is just the sbi cd that loads slow. i'll just burn the next version separately unless you can find a way to load the files even faster.

i remember speud's vmutool 0.7.0 had the same issue. where if a folder had more than 50 saves, it would take a while to load the rest. i believe he fixed it, but never released it.
DC FoReVeR.!!!