What if videogames were invented before books?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What if videogames were invented before books?

Post by mankrip »

Steven Berlin Johnson wrote:"Imagine an alternate world identical to ours save one techno-historical change: videogames were invented and popularized before books. In this parallel universe, kids have been playing games for centuries?and then these page-bound texts come along and suddenly they?re all the rage. What would the teachers, and the parents, and the cultural authorities have to say about this frenzy of reading? I suspect it would sound something like this:

Reading books chronically under-stimulates the senses. Unlike the longstanding tradition of gameplaying?which engages the child in a vivid, three-dimensional world filled with moving images and musical soundscapes, navigated and controlled with complex muscular movements?books are simply a barren string of words on the page. Only a small portion of the brain devoted to processing written language is activated during reading, while games engage the full range of the sensory and motor cortices.

Books are also tragically isolating. While games have for many years engaged the young in complex social relationships with their peers, building and exploring worlds together, books force the child to sequester him or herself in a quiet space, shut off from interaction with other children. These new 'libraries' that have arisen in recent years to facilitate reading activities are a frightening sight: dozens of young children, normally so vivacious and socially interactive, sitting alone in cubicles, reading silently, oblivious to their peers.

Many children enjoy reading books, of course, and no doubt some of the flights of fancy conveyed by reading have their escapist merits. But for a sizable percentage of the population, books are downright discriminatory. The reading craze of recent years cruelly taunts the 10 million Americans who suffer from dyslexia?a condition didn?t even exist as a condition until printed text came along to stigmatize its sufferers.

But perhaps the most dangerous property of these books is the fact that they follow a fixed linear path. You can't control their narratives in any fashion?you simply sit back and have the story dictated to you. For those of us raised on interactive narratives, this property may seem astonishing. Why would anyone want to embark on an adventure utterly choreographed by another person? But today?s generation embarks on such adventures millions of times a day. This risks instilling a general passivity in our children, making them feel as though they?re powerless to change their circumstances. Reading is not an active, participatory process; it?s a submissive one. The book readers of the younger generation are learning to 'follow the plot' instead of learning to lead.
"
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

some good points.
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

i liked it :)
Ominous 0nionfrog
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Ominous 0nionfrog »

It speaks the truth..
But books are good sometimes..
Not as often as videogames though... :D
jaredfogle wrote: Every time you jack off, you kill thousands of "people."
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

Aye. it does.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

if videogames were invented prior to books, children would be stupidier than they already are, and more illiterate...
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

I do not read much, but when I do I enjoy it. I do not play games much, but when i do I enjoy it. Everything is moderation.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Id love to live ina world where tv was invented before books.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I'll agree that video games can be an art form, but no video game will ever match what a true classic is.
It's thinking...
Raijin Z
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Raijin Z »

That's stupid, like asking what if VCRs were invented before television.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

If I wasn't playing videogames, I would have more of a social life, and would weight less....not that I am fat....
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Maybe video games would be 3-d? :o
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

|darc| wrote:I'll agree that video games can be an art form, but no video game will ever match what a true classic is.
True classic... Book? Movie? Play? Painting? Sculpture?

The medium is still very young; it's premature to say that a videogame could never be considered a "true" classic. What about interactive fiction, which has had a bit more time to develop as an artform, like Galatea, or "Curses!"?
I'm a lone wolf looking for trouble.
AuroEdge
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by AuroEdge »

Does High Times count as a book?

"The only difference between the Democrats and the Republicans is
that the Democrats allow the poor to be corrupt, too." -Oscar Levant