My DC gets a new paintjob

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
jedz
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

My DC gets a new paintjob

Post by jedz »

DC gets a paint job.

I was really bummed out yesterday becuase, i had gotten the console painted and when i put it back together it didnt video or sound up anymore. Luckily i found another one pretty cheap and finished up the controllers. Looks pretty sweet but the black isnt good for fingerprints etc and red paint keeps coming off on the sides of my VMU's.

Let me know what you think.[/img]
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

I like it.....

Next you should think of a really cool l.e.d color to compliment the new color scheme.....And you should have chipped it while it was apart....
jedz
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by jedz »

Yes L.E.D. will come later, whats the spec on the L.E.D i need anyway? Whats the benefit of chipping it?
lynx44
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by lynx44 »

It just makes it so you don't need a boot disc. Not really worth it IMO unless you play a lot of homebrews that aren't self-boot.

I really like it, it looks like you did a really good job.

-Matt
jedz
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by jedz »

Thanks! Only has one run which i just noticed on the back of one of the controllers, probably due to anxiety and impatience from burning up a Dreamcast.

Before i got the one i burned up it was probably stored in a barn, i found about 50 uncooked macaroni sized eggs and remnant of some flying insects. They came out of everywhere form under the motherboard plate and cd mechanism also. The top and sides were completely sunbleached yellow, which got me to sand it, which eventually gave me blisters and then made me paint it.

The newer i got in excellent condition version 2 as opposed to 1, The CD mechanism looks a little better qaulity then the broken version 1. Im glad they fit in the same style case. Does play CD-R's fine which is strange since i've been reading that a version 2 cannot read CD-R. I guess i got very lucky.

Inside the CD tray looks very trick red on the sides and the original color on top. Ill take more pictures once my cameras batteries recharge. Still got 1 more controller to paint but i dont think i have the energy to touch the steering wheel or arcade pad. I almost want to clear coat after going through all this just to protect the investment, unless someone can tell me it's unnecessary.
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

The LED is something like 3.5 volts, I think. I used a 3.3 volt blue LED in mine, and it works perfectly.
bizzle

Re: My DC gets a new paintjob

Post by bizzle »

jedz wrote:I was really bummed out yesterday becuase, i had gotten the console painted and when i put it back together it didnt video or sound up anymore. Luckily i found another one pretty cheap and finished up the controllers. Looks pretty sweet but the black isnt good for fingerprints etc and red paint keeps coming off on the sides of my VMU's.

Let me know what you think.
I bet you used a long screw to screw down the GD-ROM. Many people have done this, it drills right into traces for the video and kills it.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Re: My DC gets a new paintjob

Post by Smiley »

Xylene wrote:
jedz wrote:I was really bummed out yesterday becuase, i had gotten the console painted and when i put it back together it didnt video or sound up anymore. Luckily i found another one pretty cheap and finished up the controllers. Looks pretty sweet but the black isnt good for fingerprints etc and red paint keeps coming off on the sides of my VMU's.

Let me know what you think.
I bet you used a long screw to screw down the GD-ROM. Many people have done this, it drills right into traces for the video and kills it.
I have killed the GD-ROM that way before......
jedz
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by jedz »

You're right i see it now~!
DCFan2004
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DCFan2004 »

jedz wrote:Yes L.E.D. will come later, whats the spec on the L.E.D i need anyway? Whats the benefit of chipping it?
The LED is a 3.3V 5mm in the stock posistion, or you can get a 5V and power it off the PSU pins. As for chipping, besides homebrew and no need for a boot disk, it allows you to import games from other regions. I got a bunch of the KoF games in japanese on ebay cheaper than I would have gotten the U.S. versions.
jedz
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by jedz »

Here are a few better pictures, my digi really doesnt pick up red the way id like it. It looks more red then it is.

Ill keep my eye out for LED's but i dont have any use for a chip.
Andeh
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Andeh »

that looks really nice, could you take some close ups of the console and controllers seperatly?
jedz
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by jedz »

Image[/img]
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

looks quite nice

as for putting a screw through the vid traces, why would anyone screw down the GD-rom? in stock DC's it rests on rubber feet, which works fine for holding it in place, and also softens some blows
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

Looks really nice. I just bought some paint yesterday and I'm practising because I wanna paint a controller that's in pretty bad shape and hard marker on it. What kind of pain did you use? How much did you sand it down? Is the paint glossy (looks like it)? Do your hands stick to the controller at all (like is the paint kinda sticky)?
Raijin Z
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Raijin Z »

I'd suggest Krylon Fusion, but they don't have a flat black... and I've yet to get any kind of info on how it holds up to prolonged handling. Regular gloss spray looks shitty outside of a laboratory environment.
jedz
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by jedz »

Its what holds down the entire top CD unit, not the laser mechanism resting on the rubber feet, if long screws are used instead of short ones it drills right down into the mobo.

Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

oh, i see now

is this always beyond repair? or does it crush a single component?
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
jedz
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by jedz »

I used Krylon interior/exterior for wood, plastic and metal. It does have a glossy finish. One of the controllers i did a very smooth finish, using a larger coat of paint on the final layer and this controller is a tiny bit sticky. My other controller i sprayed lightly a couple times for the finish which gives it a rougher look and not really sticky at all, so i will probably do this to my final controller also.

I sanded down the unit pretty well, i sanded down the 4 square things poking up on each side of the top. I was trying to get a very bad deep yellow sunbleach out, so i sanded my arm off on the entire unit. I sanded the controllers way less, just enough to make so paint would bond to it well.
Last edited by jedz on Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jedz
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by jedz »

I dont think there is an easy way to fix it. It drills down on 8 or 9 very tiny traces. Anyway after insects laid a ton of eggs in it it didn't mind being finally laid to rest.

Last edited by jedz on Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.