Quake 3A vs Unreal Tournament

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Quake 3A vs Unreal Tournament

Post by Cid Highwind »

I've been playing Q3A for a while and I really enjoy the game. But I don't have Unreal Tournament. Is it any better than Quake 3 or worse?

I've played both games on pc (both being the demo versions) and I liked both. But how much is UT worth? (I need a guideline in case I'm going to look it up at ebay)

Also is the game just as smooth as Q3A when playing in splitscreen?

Cid H.
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DuffMan »

I like it better, the graphics are not as good, but I think it runs better then Q3, there is some slow down in Q3 which is not present in Unreal.
OOH! YA! Duffman Says a lot of things.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

I think it's better. I like the controller much better in Unreal Tournament than in Quake III Arena.

You can find a copy of Unreal Tournament for less then $10. I found a copy that was $4, and a couple bucks to ship, but I didn't get there in time. :(
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

What's different in the controls then? (the only thing I can think of is that UT uses a primary and secondary attack)

My blog
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

It seems as if Q3A moves about more freely, and is a bit sensitive, as the where UT is not.
law
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by law »

q3 > ut, but still both of them are excellent games and should be bought
nuff said :)
ImageImage
skar
how powerful i am!

Post by skar »

the funny thing about UT is that it's got massive autoaim... makes it really nice to play...
Bertrude
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Bertrude »

I tend to play them both with a mate using the split screen option and from that point of view Quake III comes up trumps all the way. UT has a lot choppier frame rate in split screen which makes it a tad unplayable at times, especially if you've got some extra bots running around too.

The level design is more varied in UT though and the weapons are more interesting but I think the graphics are better generally in Quake and the playablility is also better in my humble opinion.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

UT. It's more fun to play (which is what's most important really).
Last edited by Matisfaction on Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Imerion
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Imerion »

I prefer Quake. Technically wise its a whole lot better. No slowdowns, not even in four player mode and the graphics is superb. Just look at those screens. Also, Quake 3 can still be played online. I agree that UT has more/better levels but Quake 3 wins because of the superior engine.
Anyway, you should definitively have both!
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

Just a slight correction: Quake 3 does have slowdowns, sometimes when playing with 2p splitscreen the FR is slightly below the nice 30FPS, though it's a minor detail, since it doesn't affect gameplay.

But thanks for all the input here, I'm going to try and get my hands on it :)

(ps. I enjoy the forums here a lot)

My blog
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

You might as well get both. You can most certainly find them both for less than $10.
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

Unreal Tournament is the best online multi-player shooter ever, hands down. 2K4 is the bomb. Unfortunately, the DC version is severely killed by the fact that online play no longer exists. Q3 on Dreamcast still has online play, amazingly enough. Stick with that on your Dreamy, get UT2004 for PC and be done with it.
Very sexy hero, omg
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

Well I won't even play the game online, it will only be splitscreen fun for me. If only I had a BBA....

Oh and I'm not a PC gamer at all, let alone FPS :P

My blog
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

Q3A for the Dreamcast will always will online. You can type your own server IP in there.

Unreal Tournament will not since it uses / used the official SEGA servers, which are no longer up.

Unreal Tournament's map for the PC are different than the Dreamcast's version, BTW. At least, that's what I've heard.

Playing the PC versions of most modern games are not even an option for me because of the speed of my PC. And upgrading isn't even worth it, for me.
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

ut is easier to jump into and play than q3 (better controls imho). Plus it is on the cheap. If you want a story for your fps, pick up Soldier of Fortune. If you want atmosphere and some killer music, get KISS Psycho Circus. Nice examples of quake 2 and lithtech engines used nicely on the old dc.
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis »

Quake III Arena runs a lot smoother than Unreal Tournament. Quake might have more slowdowns (I don't remember), but Unreal can definately get a bit choppy there...

I can't decide which I like better, though. I own both of them and quite frankly I love them.
crc73
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by crc73 »

What controllers do you guys use to play Q3A and UT?

I've got Q3A, but haven't played that much, because it's hard to get the hang of the analogue stick - it's not the same as the mouse with the PC version. And I refuse to get a keyboard and mouse for the DC just to play it.

Will I ever really get to enjoy Q3A without them?
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

Hell, I enjoy them both with the controller.

I have the PC mouse and keyboard. I highly recommend you buy them though. I got this thingy from Lik-Sang.com that allows me to use a PSone/PS2 controller, PC mouse/keyboard, and Saturn pad on my DC. You can imagine how 1337 it is to play Samba De Amigo with a Saturn 3D pad or play Q3A with my wireless PC keyboard and mouse.
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

crc73 wrote:What controllers do you guys use to play Q3A and UT?

I've got Q3A, but haven't played that much, because it's hard to get the hang of the analogue stick - it's not the same as the mouse with the PC version. And I refuse to get a keyboard and mouse for the DC just to play it.

Will I ever really get to enjoy Q3A without them?
Of course you will :P

Although not as accurate as when playing with the Thumb Pad to look, I use the following control scheme:

Thumb Pad:
up: Run forward (always run on DUH :roll: )
down: Walk backward
left/right: Turn left/right

Dpad:
left / right : switch weapons.
up: zoom (to be honest it's completely useless when playing with a controller)
down: I don't even know it though I've played the game last saturday night the whole night.

X: strafe left
Y: look down
A: look up
B: strafe right
L: Jump
R: FEUER!!!

and since I have this Quantum Fighterpad:
I have the 5th and 6th front buttons asigned to the Dpad left and Dpad right buttons. It allows me to program them, so I programmed them to the buttons linked to the weapon switch. Very handy since it's easier to use those buttons than the Dpad while in the middle of a battle.

I took this control scheme from Fur Fighters where it's listed as the second control scheme.
My brother plays Quake with the thumbpad as a looking thing, and he walks using the Y button. Although it seems easier to aim up and down with, I can't play with it as all :?

Ps. If you play FPS' with the DC pad I can recommend you this controller. It's a bit bigger and therefor fits my hands better, so I don't hurt my hands like I do when holding the Sega pad tight. The only drawbacks of this controller are the slightly less comfortable thumbpad (though it isn't a burden at all), and the triggers. The triggers suck.... I can't find a picture of it showing it, but your fingers slip off of it all the time. What I did was find a patch of rough rubber, and glued it on it, now it's the perfect FPS gamepad.

My blog