The Ascension Of Vigil

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DCmad »

Hope your friend gets better, i know how a dog can be our best friend. And truly know how is feeling when they get sick.
Hope she can swing her tail to you some more years.

Cheers.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

my cat and my dog died withen months of each other, they where my friends for more then 50% of my life, now they are gone:< i hope the same doesn't happen to you, so spend as much time with your dog as you can. I try to remember the happy times and fun times with my pets, that sometimes makes you laugh and cray at the same time.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Sorry to hear about your loss; the dog is especially cute (I'm not a big cat person).
My dog is healthier today, she has energy and is no longer having rapid/irregular breathing patterns, also her abdomen no longer looks inflated. I'm pretty sure she has heart disease though and will not live much longer.

TAoV is VERY close to another release with a large amount of gameplay changes, bugs fixed, and so forth.

Vigil's Charge Up Attack (While standing still, hold attack and release) is almost finished
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

That looks great, Tyne :D

I love cats. Law56Ker, yours was a wonderful big British-Short, sooo beautiful... I love that photo where both, your cat and your dog are lying on your sofa together peacefully - though they are so different animals, at least in some ways.
Insane homebrew collector.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Castle.BSP is once again getting a few make overs, I'm adding additional background details so the beginning of the map looks a bit more interesting...

"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

I was wondering if it is possible to implement weather effects for some levels, such as rain, snow, fog etc....
RPG
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by RPG »

law56ker wrote:I was wondering if it is possible to implement weather effects for some levels, such as rain, snow, fog etc....
Rain and snow are possible, but the effect is a little hard to pull off believably. Tyne and I have so far thought it wasn't worth implementing.

Fog, on the other hand, is pretty easy to pull off, but it's only visible in some engines (e.g. gltaov.exe but not taov.exe. Plus I don't think the DC engines support fog). Still, I've been thinking I might put fog in one or two of the levels. Perhaps even the one I'm working on now...
<Asaki> Wow! "New Technology - Enlarge Your Manhood With a Patch"
<Friction> Penis_2.0_English.exe.vbs.eml
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

What about enemies jumping from the backround, to scare you or another way to attack you, alah resident evil. Also I was thinking a cool magic attack could be some sort of weather attack, where you whould conjure a storm and it whould blow and destroy the enemies on screen. Or maybe not even a weather effect some sort of magical attack that clears the screen of enemies, just an idea i thought of. I haven't played the game much, so i don't know what kind of attack you have. Another attack i was think of is an attack where you could throw your sword at an ememy and it whould return to you, and you could have some sort of trailing magical effect behind the moving sword.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

law56ker wrote:What about enemies jumping from the backround, to scare you or another way to attack you, alah resident evil. Also I was thinking a cool magic attack could be some sort of weather attack, where you whould conjure a storm and it whould blow and destroy the enemies on screen. Or maybe not even a weather effect some sort of magical attack that clears the screen of enemies, just an idea i thought of. I haven't played the game much, so i don't know what kind of attack you have. Another attack i was think of is an attack where you could throw your sword at an ememy and it whould return to you, and you could have some sort of trailing magical effect behind the moving sword.
We already have a Twister Spell (Now renamed to Whirl Wind) and a Lightning Attack; they're pretty much screen filling attacks - they're casted in the magic menu. The magic attack that blows enemies away would be Fire Beam.

Enemies can already jump from the background, this happens in MAP01 .. Castle.BSP has enemies jumping off platforms but that's just their regular AI ;)

I like the idea of being able to throw the sword and having it return, but I'm not too sure it'd fit in with the gameplay already; Plus I've already added a semi-projectile attack which is a column of fire.
RPG
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by RPG »

law56ker wrote:I played your mod and am quite impressed, one thing that whould make it better though is if you could make the lead characters animation more lifelike, his neck and body seem stiff, is there anyway you can make him have a static animation and to make his body less stiff when he moves?
I agree with you about the walking animation. I showed the game to my cousin recently, and that was one of the first things he said about the mod. We both agreed that the animation itself is not stiff; the issue is that it doesn't fit with the speed that the character moves. It looks like Vigil is out on a very slow-paced leisurely walk, whereas the model is actually moving pretty fast across the ground. So when Vigil takes one step (one meter) the model actually moves two meters. I think if the animation were made to look like he was moving a bit faster, it would help solve the problem.

Thoughts?
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

faster animation walk movement? ok done.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Hmm what i'd suggest is maybe looking at similar games, sidescrollers, with nice animation and try to compare and contrast the differences in the games.
I've played a lot of games from atari to current day platforms so i'll see if i can think of anything. Maybe that will help some.
I'll wait for your next release and see how everything looks cause i haven't played the mod in about a month or more. But i think eventually everything will look great it just takes time and trial and error. It whould be nice to get the animation to look good, because like you said, you don't want something akward taking away from the overall look of the game. Although the game is fine the way it currently.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Also if not already in the game if possible it whould be nice to have a shadow for vigil and/or the enemies whould help a lot in looking like they are actually touching the ground and that might help the movement look better also. I think even a simple oval shadow whould suffice. It's not really important now, but whould be a cool addition.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

I suggest you play the mod again because over a month it's changed quite a bit.. and yes there are oval transparent/dithered shadows.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Just out of curiosity, Tyne:

Have you ever considered looking into the Quake licensing issues, and assembling standalone commercial versions of your work? I'm sure Goatdan would be glad to help with such things, and I can't help but speculate that both Ascension of Vigil and Codename: Envenom are things that many DC regulars would be glad to add to their collections ;).
RPG
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by RPG »

DaMadFiddler wrote:Have you ever considered looking into the Quake licensing issues, and assembling standalone commercial versions of your work?
The way I look at it is one of two ways: 1) revenue would need to be shared with a lot of people, who would need to be tracked down and have a contract worked out; or 2) that is a lot content that would have to be replaced to make it all our own work.

I'm still not quite comfortable having the mod be standalone freeware since there is a lot of commercial material from Quake and other games that is included. It seems like selling that content would make the mod even more susceptible to litigation.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Keep it free:)
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

It'll remain free.
[edit]

Sorry there has been no release lately, I'm trying to make the latest version signifigant in terms of whats changed from the last version, I'm almost fixing up several of the menu HUDs; The help screen is complete and even shows all of Vigil moves, how to execute them and also spell descriptions!

It'll most likely be released sometime this week or on the weekend.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Tyne wrote:Image
(btw the Vigil on the middle left is in a quite dangerous place :mrgreen: )
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube