I built a Dreamcast/JAMMA/Mamed Cabinet successfully

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
paulbecky2004
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I built a Dreamcast/JAMMA/Mamed Cabinet successfully

Post by paulbecky2004 »

looks like its paying off, my cabinet has just had its first taste of Mamed, after a nightmare of trying to selfboot the thing with the ROMs on the same disk, so i wouldnt have to diskswap (you wouldnt do it in the arcades!)

the DC is modded so that the two LEDs for the coin inserts run off it, other than that its standard

have a look at my site, any comments, sugesstions please put them here!

http://members.lycos.co.uk/mamedccabinet

cheers
paul
Bringing MAME and Dreamcast together...

LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

No doubt it looks nice. Wouldn't mind having one myself.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Looks awesome :o
Insane homebrew collector.
Drinkcast
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Drinkcast »

That's 18 Wheeler the arcade, right? Mame emulates a lot of new games today.
Living a better life.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

That's 18 Wheeler the arcade, right? Mame emulates a lot of new games today.
Might be just the DC game?
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS »

where did you get the coin slots?
uncleben
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by uncleben »

Really nice work,

just wondering.. why don't you use a rgb cable instead of an RC Adaptor?.. the picture should be much clearer.

Nevertheless.. really cool..
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

that looks super sweet! nice work!
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Cool!
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

Duuuuuuuuuude!
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

Dude...why are you using an RF lead? GET A SCART CABLE MAN! Pictures like 200x better with one :)
paulbecky2004
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by paulbecky2004 »

thats the thing, if i used a SCART lead instead of an rf cable the monitor will not default to the dreamcast 'channel'

id have to press one more button to change to the AV channel, therefore killing a bit more of the feel for the arcade, might do it, but at the moment its going okay.

just managed to self boot MAMED! with the roms on the disk, so it will flash up Mamed straight from poweron.

keep looking at the site for more updates, cheers for the enthusiasm.

and its the DC version of 18 wheeler!

paulbecky2004
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by paulbecky2004 »

oh yeahthe coin inserts came off the wonderous ebay, they were in a state so i got them for about ?10. gave em a dose of hammerite and theyre good as new. just designed some instruction sheets to go ont he monitor bezel, decided to make a new one when i can find out where to get cheap clear perspex (two foot by four foot is ?14.99)

Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

thats cool. I've always wanted to make one but its hard getting cabnets here for a good price and I suck at wood work.
Warmtoe
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Warmtoe »

Looks cool - not sure if I mentioned it before - but I did this, I made a JAMMA connector which connects to 2 cracked open controllers and a box of tricks that converts a SCART output into monitor / mono sound.

Nice to see someone else did it - I did mine using an existing JAMMA cabinet and having the DC outside of it - followed something like PC2JAMMA (try google)
Warmtoe
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Warmtoe »

Oh - I just took a look at your site - for driving games, I have a DC steering wheel controller (which I got cheap some time ago) - removed the flat base from it, and put suction cups (you know, vacuum thingies) underneath it - I can stick the steering wheel down (over the joysticks / buttons) and have a standup driving cab - works really well on driving games - my fave being PowerDrift on Yu Suzuki Game works.

Just thought I'd mention it, as you miss MSR (which I would too!)
paulbecky2004
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by paulbecky2004 »

lol, i rmember the ting with MSR, i sat and completed it (it took me ages) and when i got an xbox i got some great amazing driving game - it was exactly the same! what a jip.

its a bit of a nightmare because games i wanted to play i cant, skies of arcadia, MSR, and i wanted to finish a few others too.

to be honest the woodwork was easy, i just bout a ?20 jigsaw and ?60 woth of MDF. i would recommend it to anyone, its great doing something for yourself.

Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

paulbecky2004 wrote:thats the thing, if i used a SCART lead instead of an rf cable the monitor will not default to the dreamcast 'channel'
That actually depends on the cable you know. The DC RGB Scart lead I have makes the TV auto-switch to scart when its plugged in, or the DC's turned on. Seems to do it on all the TV's in my house, so I doubt yours is an exception.
keithygeorge
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by keithygeorge »

paul are you talking about project gotham racing perchance ;) tell me about it...

That is one slick ass cabinet tho. A bloke round my way gave me an old arcade system, more like one of the pub ones wiv a touch screen and everything, then someone else gave me a sparco racing seat that need upholstering, really should get my behind into action and get making it...Not sure if i'm just going to have it as a saturn racing system or what tho..tis a difficult choice. I love sega rally on the sat, and wipeout is awesome aswell...dunno, thats probably whats stopping me :P
paulbecky2004
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by paulbecky2004 »

i will admit wipeout is amazing with a steering wheel, especially 2097 on the ps1.

at the moment the project is halted for the next fortnight as im out of the country (im a submariner - cant take it to sea)

so i wont be able to post.

i tried using a sega scart lead and two third party ones all to no avail, i think its because the montor is quite old.

successfully hacked the remote control and housed the innards in perspex with a wire direct to the IR sensor on the TV, no more messing with remotes. all controlled now from the inside of the coin door.

also requested a dreamkey 3 disk from sega (if they still do them that is) will enable me to play online games such as worms and puzzle fighter for matching service online in an arcade cabinet! cool or what

i dont want to part with the cabinet in the end however space (and money) contraints will make me do it eventually, it will be soreley missed. ill inform everyone on here if and when it ends up on ebay (if it does)

ill be updating the site before i go away, with some new photos and some old plans i found. in case any of you other oldskoolers out there were wondering, the cabinet is a replica of the defender cabinet, only with the monitor upright instead of downways.

if anyone has a dev site or a mamed site please link to mine? ill respond with a link back to you, just email me please?

cheers all
paul