gum tax law

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
mattcky666
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

gum tax law

Post by mattcky666 »

Britain's leading cities are calling for a penny-a-packet chewing gum tax to help councils meet the annual ?150m clean-up cost.

Representatives from Westminster, Belfast, Cardiff and Edinburgh will call for new action to tackle the scourge at the first national "gum summit".

They will also discuss fears that changes to litter laws could bring a massive rise in the cost of clearing streets.

Cllr Alan Bradley, of Westminster City Council, said: "We are pressing for a government levy or voluntary contribution to help meet our clean up bill.

"The money would also be used to pay for a national education campaign."

He said authorities fear the new Cleaner Neighbourhoods and Environment Bill could see gum reclassified as litter.

This would increase the burden on councils to deal with the substance, which is notoriously difficult and costly to remove.

"We are hoping for some government assurance," said Mr Bradley.

"If the law changed, our own costs would rise from around ?100,000 a year to ?9 million annually."

The clean up cost in the capital alone is estimated at around ?4m.

This includes ?2m spent removing gum plastered over London Underground trains and stations.

Cllr Jim James, of Cardiff City Council, said: "It is time that gum manufacturers offered to help.

"Local authorities and the Government also need to take a stand to prevent our nation's streets becoming one big, sticky litterbin."
source : http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,3 ... 17,00.html
DesertSessions
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by DesertSessions »

What has this world become where now people have to pay a gum tax. Heck, Soon they are gonna start charging us to take a crap! :x
"Send two dozen roses to Room 424 and put 'Emily, I love you' on the back of the bill." - Groucho Marx
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

i was under the impression gum companies already had to pay out for gum cleanup in the uk
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k »

DesertSessions wrote:What has this world become where now people have to pay a gum tax. Heck, Soon they are gonna start charging us to take a crap! :x
I don't know where you are, but I already pay a sewage bill :(
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

farrell2k wrote:
DesertSessions wrote:What has this world become where now people have to pay a gum tax. Heck, Soon they are gonna start charging us to take a crap! :x
I don't know where you are, but I already pay a sewage bill :(
:lol: Good point.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

I'm against all forms of gum control
DesertSessions
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by DesertSessions »

I live in Pittsburgh and I was not aware of any sweage tax.......if there is one here......heck, Im gonna take a crap on the lawn. NOW WHAT YOU STUPID GOVERNMENT???!!! WHAAAAAT NOOOOWWWW???!!! MWUAHAHAH! ok im done. lol.
"Send two dozen roses to Room 424 and put 'Emily, I love you' on the back of the bill." - Groucho Marx
DeAthWaGer
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DeAthWaGer »

I take it you've never gone to a pay toilet?
Wheeling Bitch Circus - Keepin' it METAL since 1998:

http://www.myspace.com/wheelingbitchcircus
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

DesertSessions wrote:I live in Pittsburgh and I was not aware of any sweage tax.......if there is one here......heck, Im gonna take a crap on the lawn. NOW WHAT YOU STUPID GOVERNMENT???!!! WHAAAAAT NOOOOWWWW???!!! MWUAHAHAH! ok im done. lol.
I don't know how it is there, but when you pay for water, you're paying for water to leave your house into the sewers as well. We pay out bills to the Sewage and Water Board.
It's thinking...
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

What next a Tea tax