Slight problem...

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Slight problem...

Post by BlackAura »

My Dreamcast has gone into another round of "reset whenever you touch it". I can boot it, but if I try to, for example, swap the disc out and replace it with another one, it resets. Or, alternatively, shuts off completely (no video signal, doesn't appear to be doing anything). A few times, it's got stuck in a loop at the Dreamcast logo, getting part way through booting and then resetting again.

It will start up, but it's not particularly reliable when doing so. In addition to that, I don't have a working coder's cable at the moment, so I've been using multisession CD-Rs instead. I can't do that anymore, because attempting to swap CDs pretty much always results in a reset.

There are a load of other factors that may be contributing to not being able to swap CDs in the drive. I've recently got a new hard drive, I have a different operating system on there, I'm using different versions of the burning programs, I'm using a different CD burner (a DVD burner, actually), and a freshly compiled version of KallistiOS that I've not tested on anything yet. I'm going to try to work those out - I still have an image of the old OS and tools, I still have the old CD burner (it just needs re-installing), and I have a few known-good programs that I can test KOS and the DC toolchain with. However, I doubt that any of that is the problem here. I think the DC's just about had enough.

The upshot of all this is that I'm stuck. I have no way to test stuff, so I can't really do much development work. Which effectively means that all my projects are at a standstill. Just what I need when I finally get around to working on them again after a few week's break...

So this post is a combination of three things:
1 - Letting you all know that, for the time being, I can't actually do anything.
2 - Asking if anyone knows what might be wrong with the thing, and how I might fix it?
3 - And finally, does anyone have a spare coder's cable they don't need anymore?
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Post by Nyarlathotep »

I know the mods don't usually allow referral links in signatures, but I don't think any staff would have a problem if you set up a paypal donations account and linked it in your sig to buy yourself a new DC / coders cable (hell, maybe a BBA if youre lucky)
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

2 - Asking if anyone knows what might be wrong with the thing, and how I might fix it?
It sounds like a simple PSU fix, but if it powers up and theres no video it could be a dead mobo
InvisixIsLeet
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by InvisixIsLeet »

Maybe the video chip died on it.
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

Nyarlathotep wrote:I know the mods don't usually allow referral links in signatures, but I don't think any staff would have a problem if you set up a paypal donations account and linked it in your sig to buy yourself a new DC / coders cable (hell, maybe a BBA if youre lucky)
Or for that matter, he might be able to get one of those things that Axlen's putting together in the CV devver's forum.

And I think you're right - I don't see anyone getting too upset. Hell, someone might even be really generous and send him a DC (especially since I've heard that DC's are really expensive in his part of the world).
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

Try checking the fan, it might be overheating. That is always the first thing I check when Im having reset problems. Also, unless someone is going to GIVE you a coders cable, it is cheaper to buy another DC. COders cables are about 25 bucks and DC's go for about 15 in EB games.

Good luck, check the fan.
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I've a coder's cable you can have. Its yours if you paypal me the shipping costs if shipping to you would be over a few dollars. PM me with details and we can get this to you.

Its unused by me so I don't know how well it works; I got it from Will Sams a while back--I traded him for a PSX game. Considering I have no DC anymore I might as well part with it as it would have a better home with you.
It's thinking...
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

The video chip appears fine - it actually runs stuff fine, when it boots up, and if it doesn't reset itself...

It sounds more likely to be either overheating, a bad connection somewhere, or a dirty drive mechanism. I'll take the thing apart and have a look.
COders cables are about 25 bucks and DC's go for about 15 in EB games.
Not in this part of the world they aren't. An NTSC Dreamcast is of absolutely no use to me whatsoever, and Dreamcasts over here (Australia) still cost quite a lot. Then again, virtually nothing ever seems to decrease in value when sold second hand over here. The Aussies (or at least the ones in Queensland) seem to think that they can sell a five year old bit of kit for the same price as a new one unless it's heavily damaged.

If I can get it working well enough to play GDs, even if it's not enough for development, I know someone who has a Dreamcast and exactly one game. I might be able to swap it. Maybe.

One more question... Does anyone know if I can actually get a Paypal account without giving them my bank details? I don't really trust Paypal that much.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

BlackAura wrote:One more question... Does anyone know if I can actually get a Paypal account without giving them my bank details? I don't really trust Paypal that much.
You don't. I don't have mine set up with the bank account details, either.
It's thinking...
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

|darc| wrote:
BlackAura wrote:One more question... Does anyone know if I can actually get a Paypal account without giving them my bank details? I don't really trust Paypal that much.
You need to enter either your bank account info, or give them a valid credit card. If you want to send money.
Very sexy hero, omg
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Oh good. In that case, I'll see what I can do...
Stef.D
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Stef.D »

Something which happen a lot on Dreamcast and also happened to mine.
The power box inside the dreamcast... actually it's connected to the mother board by 6 pins. the contact with these pins can be a bit oxyded or alterated with time :

http://www.metagames-fr.com/Article94_R ... amcast.php

Look at the screen shot, the point C is probably where the problem is.
Just try to clean and repair improve the contact :)
cagmere
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by cagmere »

I'll send one of my Dreamcasts if needed. It's worth being able to play the genesis on my DC. Let me know.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

I've done this before:

Try removing the case and taking all the pieces apart. Use some alcohol on the board and scrub all pins and parts that make contact/connection. Do this on all the boards. Also check for pins that may have become lose/ disconnected (usually due to cold solder) and make sure no wire film on any parts of the boards have been burnt up. If they have, just join the two nearest points of contact.

~Dant
Hawke
Wastelander

Post by Hawke »

A few times, it's got stuck in a loop at the Dreamcast logo, getting part way through booting and then resetting again.
I've had this happen before. But it was from a bad boot disc. Maybe there's something wrong with the GD/ROM? It might be acting tempermental or something.
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Yeah GD's are very tempermental :x
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

I know it sounds stupid, but if it all doesn't help, try to smack it without using too much force but also not beeing too soft, from a height of maybe 10cm to the desc. Don't let go, but smack it. Hope my wording is okay to explain what I mean... Anyway, it helped my brother out with his modified US DC - it lately had that prob, we cleaned it, it ran, it kept resetting again, we smacked it onto the desc and it ran perfectly since then :!:

It really seems that these 1st JP DCs are the best, I never had a problem with mine - it runs like a Dream :wink:
Insane homebrew collector.
BaldMonk
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by BaldMonk »

Yeah, the method Stef.D mentioned is a common problem... happened to me in November... and I've had mine since 2000... and it's not resetting anymore... because of the heat the DC generates, it warps the pins connecting the motherboard to the powerboard, and everynow and then they expand away from each other, causing the reset... you just need to push the pins back into place... SOFTLY... and not too far. And it should run like new ;)
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I haven't taken it apart yet, but it appears to have started working. My brother played Sonic Adventure 2 on it, and it seemed to work fine. Maybe he hit it while I wasn't looking? Anyway, seems fine now...
BaldMonk
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by BaldMonk »

Well, just for the record, I'm pretty sure you can find a tutorial on Console Vision