Half Life 2 Demo

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Hawq »

thatsitelinkedabove wrote:High Performance 256-bit engine
about a gf2mx400 :lol: a gf2mx wont be what youre lookin for, those things probably will run hl2 (my old one ran far cry with low settings) but aim a bit higher than that for fun gaming. As mentioned above a radeon 9600 would probably be nice, I use a gf fx5900xt myself but valve nerfed performance on them
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

Ya, stay away from Geforce 2s, especially MX. They are really old.

First thing you should do is make sure your mobo has an AGP slot in it. Sometimes, mobos w/ integrated graphics won't have an AGP slot, only PCI. If it doesn't have an AGP slot, you'll need a new mobo.
Very sexy hero, omg
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS »

It will run chopped on just about anything but you really should have at least a 64mb video card.
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

I just played through the demo, and I'm quite impressed. I got a Radeon 9800 Pro for Christmas, so it was nice to see HL2 running near-perfect with all the details turned all the way up at 1024x768. I think I'll be picking up HL2 pretty soon. I was holding off 'cause I just didn't think my poor old FX5200 could take it.
Midgey34
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Midgey34 »

Anyone know how well this will run on a P4 2.8 w/ a 9600xt? I'm thinking of picking up that graphics card and wanted to know if it could handle Doom III and HL2 at reasonable settings.
Remember, the quickest way to a girl's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Midgey34 wrote:Anyone know how well this will run on a P4 2.8 w/ a 9600xt? I'm thinking of picking up that graphics card and wanted to know if it could handle Doom III and HL2 at reasonable settings.
It will run HL2 beautifully and Doom 3 horribly :x
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Midgey34 wrote:Anyone know how well this will run on a P4 2.8 w/ a 9600xt? I'm thinking of picking up that graphics card and wanted to know if it could handle Doom III and HL2 at reasonable settings.
It will run HL2 beautifully and Doom 3 horribly :x
What settings do you have? I'm on a P4 2.4 w/ a 9500Pro and it runs fine. I could have more, but it runs fine.
It's thinking...
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Doom III played fine for me with high settings at 1024x768 with an Athlon XP 2500+ @ 3200+, 512MB DDR 400, 9600XT 128MB. It wasn't 60fps, but it was perfectly playable.
Midgey34
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Midgey34 »

Ok playable is all I'm shooting for. Low to medium detail is fine for me. Also won't Doom III run faster by extracting the pak files or something?
Remember, the quickest way to a girl's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

I ran HL2 with most settings at default at 1024x768 and only noticed a bit of slowdown at the very end of the game - where there is really a ton of stuff going on at the same time what with resistance, combine, striders, dropships etc etc etc

I ran Doom 3 at 800x600 and every time I fired my shotgun and there was more than one enemy on screen it became a slideshow...
Mr. Jones
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Mr. Jones »

Man, it sounds like Doom 3 needs a Sun render farm to be able to run well. :oops:

Unfortunately, I'm also one of those folks who's uses a laptop as well:

Intel (Mobile) Pentium 4 ~2ghz
NVidia GeForce4 420 Go w/ approx. 32mb RAM
512 MB RAM
Windows XP Pro

This is the reason why I don't do too much PC gaming. ;) I'll play Quake with the DarkPlaces mod, Baldur's Gate 2, and Conquer Online, and that's about it - I'm too scared that my computer will implode if I play anything more graphically intensive - that's what my ExBochs is for. :D I'd love to try out HalfLife, but I just don't think it will run all that well...
InvisixIsLeet
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by InvisixIsLeet »

It takes forever for it to load. It also "stutters" like it's choking at certain places. Other than that, with setting at their max, and with 4x FSAA and 4x Anisotropic Filtering @ 1024x768 on my rig it runs buttery smooth. Around 40-60FPS. :mrgreen:

- Here are my system specs - (only listed the important stuff)

Motherboard: ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe (Nvidia nForce2 Ultra 400)
CPU: AMD XP 2700+
RAM: 512MB 400Mhz DDR
Video: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro