Soooo, has Service pack 2 been good to you so far?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Soooo, has Service pack 2 been good to you so far?

Post by compacho »

Yeah, i know its old, but now that many of you have had quite a while to use it, do you think its still a must for every system. Of course I heard of some programs not working and such. All I need to know is whether photoshop 7.0 still works.

Oh, and if there were some problems with programs, did microsoft release any fixes?

Thanx for any info and happy new years.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Erg, I don't want to talk about it.
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

Service pack 2=teh suck. :x I fudging hate it.
Very sexy hero, omg
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

I've had one dodgy install from five computers. The system in question was running unpatched office components but, fortunately, the rollback actually worked.
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

I, personally, didn't experience any real problems when I installed SP2 on my laptop. However, everyone else in my office had serious problems with it, and I've heard of a lot of people online having troubles. However, I haven't heard of it actually breaking any Win32-based programs (so PhotoShop should work just fine), it just causes serious slowdowns on networked computers if you enable the firewall, and it can cause problems with DOS-based programs.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

No problems here.
It's thinking...
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

|darc| wrote:No problems here.
same here. Once I got past the install, which was awful (locked up my computer and eventually required a reformat), it worked fine.
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

I had not one but two installs fudge up, on the same PC--after the first, it told me to uninstall the botched SP2. So I did, and the whole fudging system crashed and refused to boot. After a wipe (mind you, the comp had been wiped just hours before, so this was a clean install), Windows XP install locked up. :x

That was my pal's new computer. On my own computer, the firewall will randomly turn itself on and fuck with my internet connection. :|
Very sexy hero, omg
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

i wonder why it works for some people and not for others---

i got no problems at all, install took under a half hour. i installed it on my laptop and my sisters, and they both went smoothly and neither have any problems at all (well, the didnt have problems to begin with)

and it was installed on 30 computers at our boces "computer tech" class, and all went smoothly with no problems, and they havent had any issues either....
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
Midgey34
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Midgey34 »

I havent had any real problems with SP2. Some of my programs needed some patches or needed some custom compatibility settings but so far everything is gold.
Remember, the quickest way to a girl's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I have had no problems with it.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

SP1 slowed my computer down to a crawl.

SP2 works just fine.
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by navi »

Guess it really depends on the Specs? :?
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

Not a single issue with it.

But I did disable all windows firewall and security center though, those bloody things annoy me so much, lol.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

The firewall does get very irritating. I especially hate the way it puts a firewall on internal LAN connections. If I wanted to stop anything at all from working across the network, I would simply unplug the network cables. I don't need Windows blocking absolutely everything (even ping requests) because Microsoft want Windows to appear secure.

Speaking of which... the whole "Look! It's secure!" thing that XP SP2 does is annoying too. There's absolutely no need to continually nag people, or try to make XP SP2's alleged security features so noticeable (and irritating).

For that matter, there is no excuse for the way the Windows firewall works. Not only does it silently drop all incoming connection requests (which it shouldn't do - that can cause network congestion), it also blocks a lot of ICMP packets (like ping requests) which makes a network a lot harder to maintain.
Midgey34
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Midgey34 »

Ah actually one problem I've had with SP2 is those cursed updates. I try to set it to manual and I have an icon in my system tray and I am constantly getting pestered to update.
Remember, the quickest way to a girl's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in.
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

first time i installed it on this comp, my connection ended up slowing down to dialup speeds (even on large http downloads such as linux iso's). uninstalled it and went back on with life. shortly after i ended up having to fix a couple friends computer's. each time i made sure to grab all the windows updates including sp2. each time sp2 ran flawlessly and i didnt see any slowdowns or any problems with it. now just over a month ago i decided to try sp2 again here. been working flawlessly ever since. so long story short: no problems here.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I try to set it to manual and I have an icon in my system tray and I am constantly getting pestered to update.
I would tell you how to disable that, but I'm not actually at a Windows machine at the moment, and I don't really care enough to have remembered it, so...

Basically, you can go to the Security Center (ugh...) applet thingy, and turn it off there. There's a setting (which is pretty well concealed, but it's there somewhere) to change what gets monitored, such as the firewall, antivirus or auto-update settings. You can simply tell it not to bother monitoring anything.

Alternatively, you can simply stop the monitoring program from starting up.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

well i havent had any problems, i installed it trough live-update, and im running it now almost without a problem, the only problems i encountered:

- will not run old games like Duke nukem 2 and Alien Vs Pred
- windows firewall attempts to block any program contacting the internet, so i have to manually clear them

other then that its fine i think
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Even after turning off the Automatic updates service I still was being bugged about updating (or maybe it was bugging me to turn Automatic Updates back on, but either way, it was annoying) The stupid "Windows Firewall" was a joke. I could deal with that, but my machine started running like a pile of crap after the installation. After three days I formatted.
Last edited by bizzle on Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.