college major?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Jaded JAaron77
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

college major?

Post by Jaded JAaron77 »

If I want to work as a 3D animator (or something along those lines) for a company such as Pixar, Dreamworks, Blue Sky, et c, what should I major in in college? If they don't have a specific animation major or something like that would it be best to go Graphic Arts or something like that?
this is my signature
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

Be a dual major in math and computer science get a minor in mass com or marketing and do a intern ship with a company thats in the graphic arts field. Math is really important to companies doing any kind of professional animation or computer work.
S. Thompson
The Fuzmeister
The Fuzmeister

Post by S. Thompson »

SuperMegatron wrote:Be a dual major in math and computer science get a minor in mass com or marketing and do a intern ship with a company thats in the graphic arts field. Math is really important to companies doing any kind of professional animation or computer work.
Absolutely.

- Fuzmeister
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

I'd say it somewhere in the science or art majors. I wouldn't work towards an animation degree. It is something you should work do on your own time. Over the course of your 4 years at school, if you pracitce a lot you should have a nice portfolio when your done. Take a lot of 2D drawing and design classes as electives as well. That's also really important.
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

Id say major in islamic history, pixar relly likes a islmaic history major.

J/kdo what everyone else has said to do, but make sure to take a few computer/graphic arts/design classes even if that isnt your major.
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

SuperMegatron wrote:Be a dual major in math and computer science get a minor in mass com or marketing and do a intern ship with a company thats in the graphic arts field. Math is really important to companies doing any kind of professional animation or computer work.
If he's going to invest the 8 years it would take to do that he could have an masters in art or math and get a better paying job.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Butters wrote:
If he's going to invest the 8 years it would take to do that he could have an masters in art or math and get a better paying job.
It doesn't take 8 years to dual major.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

Random_Troll wrote:
Butters wrote:
Along with the minor + unforseeable future circumstances it could well be. Perhaps I was exaggerating a bit, but I made my point.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Butters wrote:
Random_Troll wrote:
Butters wrote:
Along with the minor + unforseeable future circumstances it could well be. Perhaps I was exaggerating a bit, but I made my point.
At most I'd say 5-6 which isn't really that bad.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Synlor
Official DCEMU Stalker
Official DCEMU Stalker

Post by Synlor »

My brother is doing just that.. double major in computer science and math.... he is gonna graduate this year after 4 years. Mind you he also has 6 minors. He is going straight to graduate school right after college though.
Thanks to Digital Chaos, GoldbergWWE, and ace for the avatar, sig, and badge!
http://devcast.dcemulation.com
Jaded JAaron77
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Jaded JAaron77 »

I was thinking dual major in graphic arts and computer science, the art since animation requires much art (and Pixar suggests lots of traditional art training) and the computer science because most big studios write their own software and most of the job openings I've seen require extensive knowledge of C, C++, pearl, or all of the above.
The math major makes sense seeing as how much physics would be involved, but I hadn't really though of that one.
So pretty much just be heavy on the math, arts, and computer science courses and take journalism, speech, and communication where I can? ...basically what I was planning on anyway.
this is my signature
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

arrowhead wrote:Id say major in islamic history, pixar relly likes a islmaic history major.
:guffaw:
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
saber07
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by saber07 »

with a dual major, do you have to retake basics? Thats what it looks like in my college coursework book
Silence is Golden
saber07
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by saber07 »

nevermind, i dont think u have to.
Silence is Golden