Xbox modding: Chip or Flash?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
DCFan2004
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Xbox modding: Chip or Flash?

Post by DCFan2004 »

So I found someone to mod my xbox and I need to know the pros and cons between chipping my box or just having the bios flashed. Basically I want to be able to backup my games on the HDD, play emulators, use EVOX dashboard, get the program that lets you play DVDs without the remote, and be region free for both DVDs and games. With that said, what would be a better option getting a chip installed or just flashing the thing? Xbox live is not an issue so don't take that into consideration.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

Personally I just used the exploit on mine, no messing with the bios so not sure about any of that, its done me good, even surprised me by booting up my Halo 2 without goin to the evoX dash (its a Jap version I imported so it was a bit unexpected)
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

it depend's what chip your going to get and if you want to play live (althoughyou said it wasnt an issue)

if your just going to get a cheap chip (30$ and less) you might as well flash it (if you have a 10-1.5 xbox)

if your going to get a 60$ x3, xenium ice, smartxx etc, etc then get the chip over flash, you can add lcd's and other stuff that way (if your going to use it)

i flashed mine and im happy with it, it did everything my chipped xbox could do 'cept go on live. (wich if you have a v1.0 or 1.1 then you can install a switch for live.)
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

I"ve got a chip but for what I do, I could have done fine with a TSOP flash
NightHammer
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by NightHammer »

I softmodded my box...no opening it up or messing with the bios...and easy too...does everything you're talkin' about too.

Later!
NightHammer
All your systems are belong to me
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

NightHammer, your sig is 20K to big.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

ive never softmodded before, (well just to load evox and flash), ive read that some games dont work on softmodded xboxen (doa: ultimate being one) did they ever fix that ?
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
TheWanderer
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by TheWanderer »

Warning to all those who play with a mod chip on X-Live: you'll get banned. This was a topic awhile back, but just know that if you try to play Halo 2 on Live! you'll be banned.

Personally, if you're going to buy a cheap ass chip, just soft mod. If you've got the $60 to drop on a Smartxx or Xenium Ice, I'd say go for it.
Dreamcast: It's thinking. And it thinks you suck.
NightHammer
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by NightHammer »

Xylene wrote:NightHammer, your sig is 20K too big.
Not anymore...guess I'll have to get a new one made.
MKE wrote:ive never softmodded before, (well just to load evox and flash), ive read that some games dont work on softmodded xboxen (doa: ultimate being one) did they ever fix that ?
I guess they have...I had a friend that ran DOA:U on my box...so....

Later!
NightHammer
All your systems are belong to me
DCFan2004
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DCFan2004 »

Well the kid who is going to mod my box recomended getting the Xecuter lite or 2.3 so thats probably the chip I was going to get, but if i can do the same things by getting a TSOP flash than i'll save the 30 bux on the chip and use it towards a bigger HDD. I have an early version of xbox as I got it at Christmas during launch time so I'd say it's a 1.1 or so. The reason why Xbox Live is not an issue is cause I have 2 xbox's and this ones basically a back up/do what I want with it (Its the one in my sig). It originally broke and I fixed and by the time I did my brother had bought a new xbox so this one just became a spare.