Problems Making Screenshots for use with SMS Plus DC

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
cube323
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Problems Making Screenshots for use with SMS Plus DC

Post by cube323 »

Hey Everyone and thanks for reading.

Recently I've been trying to make my own Screen Shots for the SMS Plus emulator. However, nothing I have tried seems to work out.

I'm using the "Dega" emulator to capture my screenshots. Then, I open the PNG image in Photoshop, resize it, and then save it in the required PCX format.

And yet, everytime screenshot I make doesn't work. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

I vaguely recall someone mentioned something called "a PCX image converter(?)" or something like that when the emulator was first released. Am I crazy? I've tried searching for anything on the subject, but I haven't found much.

If you can, please help. At this point I have no other options.
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

I don't know of any tool, but you can use ACDSee for example to convert a PNG into a PCX. All the info on what the settings and sizes are can be find in the Dreamcast Emulation Knowledge Base directly here. You also can find premade screenshots packages there.
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
cube323
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by cube323 »

Thanks for the information Captain Skyhawk. I've got a trial version of ACDSee that I'm going to use, hopefully it will solve my problems.

I had downloaded the screen shot packs earlier, but there were a few shots missing, and I'm a bit obsessive, so I thought I might try to fill in the holes.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

I am capturing screenshots with FreeseSMS.

Remember that you'll need to set the colors depth to 256cols/8bit. Try to set them to 32cols or similar and then up to 256 again if it still doesn't work. Also remember that the size needs to be the proper resolutions.

If you got screenshots that are missing in the current package upload them for us or email them - the DCKB could update the available packages with your shots.
Insane homebrew collector.
cube323
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by cube323 »

Thanks Chris,

I'll be sure to contact once I am done making my new screen shots. I was hoping they would be usefull for someone other than myself.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

Don't work too hard when someone has already made what you are probably looking for. Go to:

http://screenshotarchive.com/screenshots.htm

They have entire screenshot packages for many systems.
weeperofsouls
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by weeperofsouls »

irfanview can also be used for basic image file type convertion, and a lot more. plus its free and not a memory whore, unlike acdsee.
impact135
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by impact135 »

i hate to be off topic here and i apoligize for that..

cpt skyhawk have you figured out how to get game genie codes to work with nesterdc7.1?
Last edited by impact135 on Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

The great thing about The Screenshot Archive is that nearly all their filenames for the images are based on GoodTools. In case you don't know, GoodTools are a series of ROM renaming tools, one for each system. Here's a link to where you can obtain these tools:

http://www.zophar.net/utilities/goodutil.html

So basically, if you rename your ROMs using GoodSMS and get this SMS screenshot archive, the base filenames of the ROMs and images will match. This is what I did for many of the emulators I have on my XBOX. Worked like a charm.
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

Thanks Scherzo for that link! If I only knew earlier... The screenshots package I'm offering is based on SMS Checker names. Those names are created by real SMS fans and have nicer filenames (especially for use in emulators).
impact135 wrote:cpt skyhawk have you figured out how to get game genie codes to work with nesterdc7.1?
Sorry I really don't have as much time anymore. It's on my todo list, but don't expect it soon.
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images