Any alternate way to burn a self-boot disc besides Selfboot?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
MethodGit
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Been thanked: 0

Any alternate way to burn a self-boot disc besides Selfboot?

Post by MethodGit »

I don't understand why apps like Selfboot modify the IP.BIN file everytime when burning a disc (presumably just to include the Consolevision logo at the beginning). Isn't it possible to manually perform all of its commands yet not make it change that file about?
BudFern
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
Has thanked: 0

Post by BudFern »

well, there's always the old manual method. Search for Dreamcast Self boot kit. :) It was a pain though.
ghostparty
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by ghostparty »

Dreamcast Factory

Type it into google, you'll find it.
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

You could also try DSSBS Final.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

http://www.dcemulation.org/neededtools.htm has a few utilities. Selfboot and Selfboot Inducer are generally the easiest to work with in my opinion.
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

Oh - and with the new Selfboot Inducer, you can insert your own logo in the IP.bin. So, if you don't want any logo at all, you could probably put a blank MR file in there, and it would insert that.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Erm Dir2boot?
MethodGit
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by MethodGit »

Now I've got another problem... why are there no selfboot kits/apps aimed towards CDDA-featured stuff? :(

Everything seems to be aimed at simple data-only burning tactics, but what about projects like DCTonic and QuakeDC where CD tracks can be involved?
MethodGit
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by MethodGit »

Ah, I've managed to work out a method for a "patch-IP.BIN"-less selfboot burn... simply install the latest Selfboot Inducer, place all your files in a directory named "Inducer", and just easily go straight to the disc-burning options rather than tamper with the Inducer-related settings (remember to give your disc a diff volume name of course).

8)

However, I'm still on the lookout for a perfect selfbooting utility for CDDA-related games and stuff... plus I've got another question now.

Who compiled the SIDPlayDC CDI over at DC Evolution, and how did he/she manage to make such an image with a Joliet filesystem (i.e. files retain spaces and original character case punctuation et al)? When making a disc with Selfboot or SBInducer it always changes everything to upper case and replaces any spaces with underscores.
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DCDayDreamer »

Who compiled the SIDPlayDC CDI over at DC Evolution, and how did he/she manage to make such an image with a Joliet filesystem (i.e. files retain spaces and original character case punctuation et al)? When making a disc with Selfboot or SBInducer it always changes everything to upper case and replaces any spaces with underscores.
The answer is on the bottom of the site page that hosts the image...
'Captain Skyhawk'
Across the Universe
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

:D
Insane homebrew collector.
jjoepr
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by jjoepr »

Me I'm just happy with being able tu customize the logo screen.
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

Yep I made the SIDPlay image and used the command that you asked for in this topic. I didn't use the joliet extensions and SID Play doesn't support upper and lowercase so it just shows uppercase letters in the menu. So where did you find joliet extensions?

You got some good questions here MethodGit, wich I wondered myself. I still use Selfboot Budy because that was the last selfbooting version where you could do the selfbooting step by step. In that way I still have the possibility to use RockRidge extensions and add my own ip.bin logo but can do some things with only one click.

I'm a fan of BurnerO's selfbooting tools and tried out selfboot also (the last non sbi selfboot tool by BurnerO), but indeed got dissapointed by the use of CV logo. I do remember a modified version of this tool where you could add your own .mr file. But I can't find anything about that anymore.

And does the latest Selfboot Inducer let you boot plain files? I thought it could only accept .sbi files and let you choose to use the menu or not.
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

The latest Selfboot Inducer only works with sbi files, but it will let burn a disc that's essentially the same as using the plain files with Selfboot. Also, it will let you insert your own logo in the ip.bin.
jjoepr
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by jjoepr »

That's why I love the latest release :D I can add my personal touch :D :)