DC Nincest 64

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
WRAGGSTER
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DC Nincest 64

Post by WRAGGSTER »

Chat about GPF N64 project in here.

A word to the flamers, carry on and ruin this thread at your peril.
Webmaster of DCEmu

The Homebrew and Gaming Network Covering All Consoles.
typoEDR
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by typoEDR »

Although I'm not sure how it'll run (with all of the tricks we can throw at it), I'm still fairly excited about this project, and kudos goes to the author of having the cojones to achieve another 'Dreamcast impossibility'.

Can I assume this emulator will be homebrew-oriented? As much as I'd love to see Mario 64 or even Crusin' USA running on the DC, I'm not sure if the RAM will play friendly... or the amount of buttons on the controller. Imagine having to use two DC controllers to emulate one N64 controller? It'd be pretty funny.

Carry on with the work. It's stuff like this that continues to support my reasoning that the DC was the best thing I've ever bought.
WRAGGSTER
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster

Post by WRAGGSTER »

this emulator doesnt support any commercial games as far as i know

but yes its amazing just to see it working
Webmaster of DCEmu

Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

WRAGGSTER wrote:this emulator doesnt support any commercial games as far as i know

but yes its amazing just to see it working
I thought he said he couldnt get anything to run on it except the Waverunner or something like that title screen.
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
WRAGGSTER
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster

Post by WRAGGSTER »

stars & fire demos too ;)
Webmaster of DCEmu

Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

You can allways get the pc version and test what it runs should be almost the same. It's cool to see things tryed that are very hard todo. Start new one's as i know it gets fustrating working on the same project.
good luck troy i know your talent and skill ive seen it in action.

Any of the emus for n64 work there is a nes and other emus for the n64 written in asm.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Kamjin
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Kamjin »

GPF,
Any eta on a "fiddle with" release?
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

yea, you should release the sources to the GBA emu and this. At least then we could see um. Just make sure it dosnt become like GP/DC where you get someone compiling and releasing it and it gets all blown up and people complaining etc =P
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

quzar wrote:yea, you should release the sources to the GBA emu and this. At least then we could see um. Just make sure it dosnt become like GP/DC where you get someone compiling and releasing it and it gets all blown up and people complaining etc =P
He can't really release GPL'ed source code (which I believe VBA and any derivative works are) without allowing people to compile and release binaries.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Yea I know, but if he asks, i think most of the DC scene would respect his wish, or at least the coders.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

The known DC scene would respect his wish, like all the people at this site and CV and boob etc, but their are others out their likes the ones doing bleem releases from the leaked code, the hl release etc that wouldn't care what the aurthor wants
Mastaboog749
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Mastaboog749 »

Damn I leave for a while and get a N64 emulator...
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

why would emulating the n64 controller be difficult? youd only really be missing the Z button. all the other buttons are already available on the DC controller and scary enough, in nearly the same places. :)

as far as commercial games are concerned, unless the emulator, when loaded into the RAM, is horrendously larger, a lot of the smaller games (ie. Mario64) should be very possible imho.

other than that, im glad someones taking a whack at the believed impossible n64 emulato project. :D
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ethoscapade »

Vchat20 wrote:why would emulating the n64 controller be difficult? youd only really be missing the Z button. all the other buttons are already available on the DC controller and scary enough, in nearly the same places. :)

as far as commercial games are concerned, unless the emulator, when loaded into the RAM, is horrendously larger, a lot of the smaller games (ie. Mario64) should be very possible imho.

other than that, im glad someones taking a whack at the believed impossible n64 emulato project. :D
not true about the controls - there are also two more face buttons. the way i see it, we could map the c-buttons onto the DC's D-pad and that would work for 90% of games (except the few N64 games that used the D-pad, or the ones that used C-down and C-left as action buttons, but those probably wouldn't run anyway).

then i think we'd want to map Z to the left trigger on the DC, because again, the L buttons was hardly used compared to the Z button. if we need, we've then got two free face buttons for the L button and menu functions, awkward as that may sound.

the only thing this may not account for is homebrew... i'm not sure how many of those used the D-pad prominently, and this setup just ignores it.

...we might need a database..

ANYWAY: i would also like to add that i am very much intrigued by ian's saying that it may actually be possible to run (few) games fullspeed since the DC and N64 use so many of the same routines.
Sanchez
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Sanchez »

ethoscapade wrote:ANYWAY: i would also like to add that i am very much intrigued by ian's saying that it may actually be possible to run (few) games fullspeed since the DC and N64 use so many of the same routines.
Where's he saying this at? The N64 and DC are *nothing* alike in hardware. I think the idea was that HLE *may* get you somewhere, but only for things using the original libraries, and not doing any outside hardware tricks. I've not looked too far into the homebrew code, but I doubt too much of it was compiled via the Nintendo libraries just due to legalities, etc.

Before this was announced I had messed with Mupen as well and gotten the r4300 interpreter compiled (but not properly linked.) You've no idea how impressive it actually is that he's gotten anything displayed.
"This is worse than when the Raccoon got in the copier!"
WRAGGSTER
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster

Post by WRAGGSTER »

"Before this was announced I had messed with Mupen as well and gotten the r4300 interpreter compiled (but not properly linked.) You've no idea how impressive it actually is that he's gotten anything displayed."

My sentiments exactly
Webmaster of DCEmu

archduke
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by archduke »

this is good news... but im not going to hold my breath, nor am i expecting much (certainly not full speed).
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Sanchez wrote:Before this was announced I had messed with Mupen as well and gotten the r4300 interpreter compiled (but not properly linked.) You've no idea how impressive it actually is that he's gotten anything displayed.
I had gotten farther :P The only thing i didnt understand was how to work the plugin system.
Darth Revan
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Darth Revan »

I can't find the thread regaurding GBA emu )()(
Its not the kill, but the thrill of the chase.
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

Darth Revan wrote:I can't find the thread regaurding GBA emu )()(
Use the search button.
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang: