Genesis Plus preview

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Post by Quzar »

why would it be twice as much work, and not just twice as much data? the way i see it either way you have to update one data set each frame. this way you would still be updating one data set, but just alternating between two that you would be altering, one at a time.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer
Has thanked: 0

Post by BlackAura »

why would it be twice as much work, and not just twice as much data? the way i see it either way you have to update one data set each frame. this way you would still be updating one data set, but just alternating between two that you would be altering, one at a time.
And what happens when a game updates some tiles, and then keeps using them for a while? One copy of the images will be correct, and the other will contain whatever was in there before, resulting in even more graphical distortions, which will effect the entire frame on 100% of all games. But the bits that are currently corrupted will look fine.

Example: Most games load all the background tile data in one shot at the beginning of a level. If we only upload that tile data to one of the two textures in VRAM, then the display will keep alternating between the two of them, so any graphics that haven't been modified this frame will continually flip between the correct graphics, and garbage.

The key thing is that we're only updating part of each data set on each frame. Twiddling takes so long that we can't really afford to keep re-twiddling and copying stuff that doesn't need it. If we didn't have to twiddle anything, I'd just DMA the thing over and be done with it.

Unfortunately, there's no way to do a VRAM->VRAM copy on the DC without reading through the SH-4 (slow), or just copying it back from wherever we got it from (which means re-twiddling it too).
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

ok. thanks i understand now :mrgreen: (sometimes it takes a while =P). For some reason i was thinking that there may be a smart way of determining if it has been changed, and if it hasnt then dont flip to the other set. this would probably require a full compairison of the data or something =\.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
InternetAddict
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
Been thanked: 0

Genesis Plus

Post by InternetAddict »

so BlackAura when will you be releasing a new version of genesis plus?
One day there will be a Sega CD Emulator on the Dreamcast I guarantee you.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Actually, I haven't released anything yet...

The answer is: when it's done. There are still a few more features that need implementing, a few things that need fixing, and a couple of bits which still aren't as good as I'd like them to be.
Link2k4
DCEmu Banned
DCEmu Banned

Post by Link2k4 »

sounds good,BA, look forward to it :}
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

There surely must be a way to fix the display problem. I am sure you'll find it someday :D

Chris
Insane homebrew collector.
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve »

i still believe that stef knows how to work this through, in a quicker and more efficient way. look at c64k, its an unbelievable creation in itself and didnt take to long to code.
weeperofsouls
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by weeperofsouls »

ive been wondering something for a while....

what exactly makes stef d's core so good over existing cores? is it a new design, optomization tricks, or what?
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve »

3x faster than the older common used core (musahi)- and i believe its written in C :). That is why the last preview of genesis plus is fullspeed on every game i played with minor hero graphic glitches and some 3d looking stage stuff. This is WITH messed but working 22mhz sound( which i believe has been privately hacked and rewritten to a much better state by warmtoe and blackaura! )
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

DcSteve wrote:i still believe that stef knows how to work this through, in a quicker and more efficient way. look at c64k, its an unbelievable creation in itself and didnt take to long to code.
Stef had been working on his core for a very VERY long time. He had just not come public about it until it was almost done. In the very first post in which he mentions it over at dcemu.co.uk, he said he had it almost done, then it was still iirc 2 weeks before he released a full version. Not to knock it, it is an amazing core, but it didnt happen overnight.

Oh, also its C68k not c64k and the C in it stands for (i believe) C which is what it is programmed in.
weeperofsouls
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by weeperofsouls »

ive noticed that the core was used in the neo cd emulator, as well as genesis plus. are there any other emulators it could possibly be adapted to, say dreamsnes, super famicast, nesterdc, smsplus, ect....

sorry, im a bit of a nosy bastard. lol.
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu »

I'd love to see Wowpacks with this core and the new Z80 core (when it is done).
uncleben
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by uncleben »

not for dreamsnes, super famicast, nesterdc and smsplus because the systems do not use the 68000 processor
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

It can only work in systems that use a Motorola 68000 CPU. The 68K was used in a lot of late '80s to early '90s arcade games, the Mega Drive, NeoGeo, and it was used as an auxilary CPU in the Saturn and Jaguar. That's about it for games systems though. It was used on a number of computers, like the original Apple Macintoshes, the early Amigas, the Atari ST, most of the early Unix workstations (notably from Sun and NeXT), and a lot of embedded systems. It (or, more accurately, a decendant of it) is still used today for some things, in fact.

Of course, most of those aren't very interesting or useful to emulate on a Dreamcast. Of those that are of interest, we have the Amiga, Atari ST, Apple Mac, and some arcade games. The arcade games are the most interesting, and if anyone can get C68K running in MAME, we might be able to get a few more games running well which were just outside of our reach before.

The only portable Amiga emulator (UAE) won't work with C68K - it uses it's own CPU emulator which is very, very different from C68K (which was based around Musashi's interface, and designed along the same general principles) because of the Amiga's design. It would take years to write one from scratch, and it wouldn't be anywhere near as compatable as UAE. And it'd still be slow.

I don't know much about Atari or Mac emulators. I do know that the Atari ST was a simpler machine than an Amiga, and a Mac was a simpler machine than an Atari ST, so they might be possible.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

The GP32 has a very decent Atari ST emulator that's supposed to be practically perfect. Given that, would it be too impossible for a Dreamcast one? I've never used one before, but looking through it's library of games, it would satisfy a lot of Amiga fans due to the number of shared games - and whilst not as powerful as the Amiga, the quality of graphics is fairly close.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I did have a look for the GP32 one, but I couldn't find any source code. One really odd thing is that the GP32 seems to be (a bit) better at emulation than the Dreamcast is. I think it's CPU is just more suited to it than the SH-4. Then again, the CPU in the GP32 can't do 3D graphics calculations like the SH-4, so...
law
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by law »

ImageImage
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

For a Mac emulator, I guess one could start with the vMac source code. It should doable... perhaps use the VMU as a floppy disc. It wouldn't be worth much though other than "see what is running on my Dreamcast" kind of thing.
mogorman
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by mogorman »

yes but it would be so awesome.
happy mac on dc would make the world a better place. trust me...
-------------------------------------------------
some say the glass is half full
some say the glass is half empty
I say thank god they gave me a glass