GBA SP

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Jaded JAaron77
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

GBA SP

Post by Jaded JAaron77 »

I bought an onyx GameBoy Advance SP yesterday. A few weeks ago I discovered that there were more games I wanted for GBA than PS2. At the moment all I have are Sonic Advance 2 and an old Mortal Kombat II (it says 1994...I found it somewhere a while back but couldn't play without a gameboy)

the next games I plan on getting (in no particular order)
Mario 1 (part of their new NES classic line..thing..)
All of the Mario Advances
maybe Zelda (the NES Classic)
Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland (I think thats what its called)
Golden Sun (1 and 2)
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Sonic Advance 1
Excitebike
(the NES Classic)
some form of Tetris (if I can find it, the old one)
Jet Grind Radio (Maybe...big maybe)
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (some time after it comes out...they did say it was going to be for GBA, didn't they?)

based on what I've listed, anyone have any suggestions?

...I'm gonna be broke for a while :wink:
this is my signature
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

As someone will inevitably suggest a flashcart for all your NES needs, I will not bother mentioning any remakes. In fact, I suggest that to be your first purchase. Sure, I don't have one personally since they are out of my price range (along with any game or accessory that's over $10), but I've heard and seen too many good things about them not to mention it. And like I said, I'm sure someone could go into better detail about them than myself.
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

I thought Golden Sun One was an ok RPG but what I hated most is that the story literally stops in the middle at the end of the game and forces you to buy the 2nd. No lie it really stops. Your thinking there is no way I'm going to finish my objective, the cart can't hold it, and then the game stops.

Whatever Super Mario Avance is Yoshi's Island. I freakin love that game and its pretty big.

Forget about the NES ports, thats what nester if for. Those games get old quick. The only one worth it I think is Zelda, but then you have that decision between Zelda I or A Link to the Past.

Both Metroid's. Some may disagree and say Zero Misison was too short but I didn't find so. Plus there are a good amount of unlockables including the original metroid.

Mario Kart is pretty fun and you only need one cart to play 2 players. It includes all the original tracks plus all the new ones and is insanely difficult to beat 100%. I give props to anyone who beat each track with a *** rating.

Castlevania: Circles of the Moon was pretty fun.

2 games I had which I didn't care for that are regarded as great were Sword of Mana and Advance Wars. There were so many lame things about Sword of Mana and I was a huge fan of Secret of Mana and its sequel. Also Advance wars. 2 players often ended in stalemate and the AI is not very good. Don't get me wrong, the computer was not easy but if you played through a few levels you would see what I mean. I'm not sure if this was changed for the 2nd installment.
often end in stalemate and I felt the computer i
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

JuddWack wrote:Advance wars. 2 players often ended in stalemate and the AI is not very good. Don't get me wrong, the computer was not easy but if you played through a few levels you would see what I mean. I'm not sure if this was changed for the 2nd installment.
Lies!

Advance Wars 1 & 2 are some of the finest games released on ANY console in the last 5 years - buy one of them, you wont regret it.

Also Wario Ware kicks ass.
Jaded JAaron77
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Jaded JAaron77 »

I've thought about getting a flashcart...in fact...I saw one at Best Buy in the town my grandmother lives...but that was a while back don't know if they'd still have it

I don't remember which Mario Advance is Yoshi's Island either, but I do know that will be the first Mario I get....I love that game....

My cousin really likes Advance Wars and Castlevania and is always kinda pushing them on me, but I couldn't really ever get into Castlevania, and I don't remember anything about Advance Wars...
this is my signature
WiseMonkey
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by WiseMonkey »

cool, i just picked up a nes sp to replace my gba.
you should try the megaman battle network series, ive played all 3 and i cant wait later today so i can pick part 4 up. look around for lunar legend, its basically lunar one without the cd music. i have to agree with judd on sword of mana, i've had it since the day it was released and i havent been able to work up the patience to finish it. it just dosent have the same feel as secret of mana. advanced wars and advanced wars 2 were awesome. oh and dont bother with the classic nes games , just save your money for a flashcart. oh and as for tetris, look around for tetris dx. its a gameboy color game but it is the best version of tetris on the gameboy. theres also tetris worlds which is a gba game but imo not as good as dx
"Wise monkey knows not to monkey around with another monkey's monkey"- Wise Monkey
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
JuddWack wrote:Advance wars. 2 players often ended in stalemate and the AI is not very good. Don't get me wrong, the computer was not easy but if you played through a few levels you would see what I mean. I'm not sure if this was changed for the 2nd installment.
Lies!

Advance Wars 1 & 2 are some of the finest games released on ANY console in the last 5 years - buy one of them, you wont regret it.

Also Wario Ware kicks ass.
Everybody remember this moment. I'm agreeing with Nyar.

Advance Wars 1/2 and Wario Ware are 2 of the best games on GBA.

Apart from what has been mentioned already, also consider:

Kuru Kuru Kururin
- Its the Monkeyball of GBA*

Megaman Battle Network 1,2,3
- Good solid modern RPGs, with a good battle system

Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
- If you're an RPG whore, you may think its too simple, but its good fun

Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green
- Not out yet in the US, but it rocks. Its the original Pokemon game, but with all the new Pokemon chucked in (as well as the old ones), and a complete graphics overhaul.

Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire
- Not as good as the original, and a lot of the old Pokemon are missing, but still a pretty decent game

Sim City 2000
- Not the best port in the world, but its still more addictive than crack.

Virtua Tennis
- Best Dreamcast to GBA port of the lot.

Dont be tempted by Sword Of Mana, it isnt very good compared to the other games in the series. Also dont go near the Tony Hawks games, theyre horrible, because they use the same engine as...Jet Grind Radio, which is almost as horrible.

*I'm well aware Monkeyball is on the GBA, but there are fewer levels, a lot of them have turned very basic to allow for the primative 3D, and playing it with a dpad is like playing House Of The Dead with a dancemat...stupid.
WiseMonkey
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by WiseMonkey »

BoneyCork wrote: Megaman Battle Network 1,2,3
thats the first time ive heard soemone agree with me on that. but he should get all three used, since part 1 is impossible to find new nowadays, and part two is almost as rare. they all cost 15 bux at ebgames used and i really dotn see the point in spending 30 dollars on part 3 when 4 just came out today
"Wise monkey knows not to monkey around with another monkey's monkey"- Wise Monkey
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

WiseMonkey wrote:
BoneyCork wrote: Megaman Battle Network 1,2,3
thats the first time ive heard soemone agree with me on that. but he should get all three used, since part 1 is impossible to find new nowadays, and part two is almost as rare. they all cost 15 bux at ebgames used and i really dotn see the point in spending 30 dollars on part 3 when 4 just came out today
Yeah I got them second hand. Storywise theyre a bit dull, but the battle system is (fairly) original, and its nice to be able to dodge attacks, and aim attacks, while still having the strategic element too.
Jaded JAaron77
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Jaded JAaron77 »

I've been wondering...is that NES SP just some kind of cheap sticker on a grey case, or is it actually done like the old NES controllers; a piece of plastic glued onto the top
this is my signature
The OK Pope
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by The OK Pope »

You must get a Link to the Past/4 Swords.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

If you don't get a flash cart and still want to play the original Super Mario Brothers, consider getting the Gameboy Color version. You get all the original levels, plus the same number of levels taken from the Japanese Super Mario Brothers 2, released as "The Lost Levels" in the US and Europe. Plus you get a bunch of fancy crap like melody maker, multi-player support and some other stuff. And it'll be a lot cheaper.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I suggest Chu Chu Rocket and Klonoa. Those were the only two games I had for the first year I owned my GBA for the sole reason that I didn't need any other games after buying them. They were that good.
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

Get Fire Emblem. It's brilliant.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Advance Wars.... gaming bliss in a tiny cart.
It's thinking...
WiseMonkey
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by WiseMonkey »

JAaron77 wrote:I've been wondering...is that NES SP just some kind of cheap sticker on a grey case, or is it actually done like the old NES controllers; a piece of plastic glued onto the top
its not a cheapo sticker like everyone seems to think, its a hard bit of plastic that stuck on there pretty well. it even has a similar texture to the one used on the nes controllers. also another thing that you dont see in the pictures is that the case is two tone, the top is a light metalic grey(not the same as platinum) and the bottom is a darker mettalic grey, also on the top it has painted on notches to look like the vents on the nes. its a lot nicer in person than it is in the pics, not to mention cooler than the famicom mini sp(well the first famicom sp that was for that contest was just as cool but the normal one forsale is just ugly)
DLM
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DLM »

*seconds the advance wars movement*

Tactics Ogre:Knight of Lodis is quite good too.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

WiseMonkey wrote:
JAaron77 wrote:I've been wondering...is that NES SP just some kind of cheap sticker on a grey case, or is it actually done like the old NES controllers; a piece of plastic glued onto the top
its not a cheapo sticker like everyone seems to think, its a hard bit of plastic that stuck on there pretty well. it even has a similar texture to the one used on the nes controllers. also another thing that you dont see in the pictures is that the case is two tone, the top is a light metalic grey(not the same as platinum) and the bottom is a darker mettalic grey, also on the top it has painted on notches to look like the vents on the nes. its a lot nicer in person than it is in the pics, not to mention cooler than the famicom mini sp(well the first famicom sp that was for that contest was just as cool but the normal one forsale is just ugly)
People also seem to forget the textured bit on the original NES controllers is just a "Cheap sticker". They're being criticized for, in that area at least, being true to the original.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
WiseMonkey
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by WiseMonkey »

yeah i know what youre saying but the impression i get is that people think its a sticker along the same lines as like a product label, but its actually closer to a case bade in terms of thickness and material
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

I didnt particularly enjoy advance wars I, but you can't say I lied. I never said it stinks and everything I said was true. 2 player games often go on for hours with little advancement and the computer's moves are completely calculated and predictable. If you play the same match with the same set of moves 2 matches in a row, the computer will play the same exact moves and you will end up with the same game. I tested this for about 8 turns in one match. Mabye it wasn't long enough but that seemed to be the pattern.

I also didn't find WarioWare that enjoyable. It is a fresh concept but wears off really quick. It basically tests your reflexive skills in a huge variety of equally cheesey mini games. Sure you get to play as Link, Mario, Samus, and drive the Fzero carts along with a bunch of other strange minigames such as grabbing a piece of toast as it pops out of a toaster and squirting eyedrops into a person's eyes, but none of which last longer than 2 seconds. The coolest part about the game is having Dr. Wario, the box, and the manual.

Also I don't know how I forgot Superstar Saga. That was probably my most enjoyable GBA experience.