Any info on the new version of SBI?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Post by BlackAura »

If you really want to use another compression format, just create the SBI with no compression, and compress it with another program. It'll use up more hard drive space, but...

If there is a change in SBI format, it should be as backward compatable as possible. The newer Selfboot Inducer should be able to handle older SBIs. It'd be better still if the newer SBIs were still usable with the older versions of Selfboot Inducer, but all the changes made so far are way too large to do that with.

I think that whatever the current version of SBI is does almost everything that the format currently needs. Some features can be added, but they don't need to change what's already there. This is definitely a good thing.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator
Been thanked: 0

Post by az_bont »

BlackAura wrote:
az_bont wrote:What if you were to include both the 7-zip (or other compression format) decompressor, plus the regular one for zip files?
I don't think there's a command-line 7-zip decompressor available.
There is for Windows, and it works in Linux through Wine. It was just an example, there are others, like RAR. But I didn't realise that there was a whole legal issue surrounding it, so that's obviously out :|.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

There isn't actually a legal issue for 7-zip. It's mostly technical - backward compatability and cross-platform compatability.

Just found the command-line encoder, by the way. There are actually two of them - one which compresses single files using LZMA (the algorithm 7-Zip uses) and one which works on the 7z archive format. Not tried the 7z program, but the LZMA one works fine (although it's five times slower than RAR and fifteen times slower than Gzip) on Linux on Wine.

Although it does work on Linux under Wine, that's not really a good solution. Wine is huge, relatively slow, and a native port of a program is preferable. That's absolutely not an option on MacOS X, because Wine simply does not work on MacOS X properly. It'd be going back to the dark ages when an SBI was a self-extracting EXE.

RAR has legal issues - it's commercial software, so we can't distribute it. Same goes for a number of other archive formats.

I might have a go at a Linux port, which might be able to work on Linux and MacOS X, but only if it doesn't take long.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Isn't there a free command line version of RAR or Mac, Linux and Win32? Or is it restricted by a license?
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

There certainly is a command-line version of RAR available for a few OSes (Windows, Linux, MacOS, FreeBSD, DOS), but they're labelled as "Trial". They don't expire or anything, but they're technically considered to be demo versions, and you're generally not supposed to redistribute demos, even if they're freeley available.

Oh, 7Zip actually has code to read RAR archives too, and it's open-source. Of course, if you port 7Zip to Linux and MacOS X just to get free support for RAR archives, you may as well use 7z.

LZMA's quite a nice compression algorithm. It seems to take way too long to compress (but it's not a native version, so I don't know how slow it is) but decompression is very fast (not as fast as Gzip, but faster than Bzip2 or RAR) and it compresses better than anything else I have around here. Shame that it appears to be so tied to Windows - far too many Windows-isms to compile for any other platform at the moment.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Ah, they used to be labelled as "Free" :(.
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

BlackAura wrote:If there is a change in SBI format, it should be as backward compatable as possible. The newer Selfboot Inducer should be able to handle older SBIs. It'd be better still if the newer SBIs were still usable with the older versions of Selfboot Inducer, but all the changes made so far are way too large to do that with.
Version 3 SBI's will work fine with the new version of Selfboot Inducer, and Selfboot Inducer v3 will work fine with the new SBI's. They are completely compatible with each other.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
burnerO
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by burnerO »

Speak now or forever hold your peace.

Gui design starts tomorrow *shudders*.
cube323
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by cube323 »

I have just one more request if I may. Although I must first say that I have no idea how you could implement this feature, as I lack the technical knowledge most of you posses.

Anyway, I'd like to be able to play some Mp3's or any other audio file at the main menu of an SBI creation. Kind of like what Dreamsnes does when you boot it up. It's a neat feature and it would really enhance the experience.

Thanks for reading and good luck with the new version.
Mikey242
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Mikey242 »

This is a nice idea cube, but unfortunatly again this is out of burnerO's hands, or anyone else for that matter. Burner dosent have access to the dreamcast source of this program, all he is doing is the PC part of it (the creation of the program that makes the CD's).

BTW Nice work burnerO :D
burnerO
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by burnerO »

Heh, it's seven in the morning and I have class in an hour. I would have gone to bed, but there was the promise of Tuesday that I wasn't about to back down from.

There will be a release today, albeit maybe later in the evening, but still Tuesday none the less. :wink: