Official Nintendo DS image!!!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by az_bont »

I was getting worried that I have no interest in the upcoming next-generation consoles. Wheras with the current batch I was wetting myself with anticipation every time a hint was dropped over a possible something-or-other, but for this round I have been completely emotionally detatched. Until now.

Whilst each of it's unique features could be written off as gimmicks, combined they create a system that cannot fail to impress. Hopefully.

No matter how hard Sony try, I doubt their PSP will beat this. Especially as the in-game graphics we've seen from the PSP were barely any better than N64 games anyway.

Nintendo definately aren't "losing it" :D.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by compacho »

look at that. I never orgasmed so much at once. Wow. This is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sweet.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Not bad. Not bad at all. But is that thing in the bottom right an analogue stick or a speaker (I'm guessing the latter)?
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

did they say psp price yet???
DeGamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DeGamer »

Yep that's definately the speaker. It reminds me of the Game Gear, but with more buttons and a larger screen. Have Nintendo or Sony showed either handheld in action yet?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh orgasm

The DS does scream "Game and Watch!" though.

It's thinking...
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

I think it is a speaker too btw.
DeGamer wrote:Have Nintendo or Sony showed either handheld in action yet?
Nintendo showed Mario 64 DS & Metroid DS which looked like a 3D Metroid game along the lines of Metroid Prime. With both games the second screen had an overhead representation of what was going on in the 3D screen. With the Metroid game you touch the screen where you want to shoot. It all looks very strange and new but exciting.

Sony showed mostly footage of EA stuff like NFL Street, Need for Speed underground & tiger woods but they also showed off Gran Turismo, tony Hawk, Metal Gear, Ape Escape, Spiderman 2: The movie on UMD and Final fantasy: advent Child the movie on UMD too.

Edit: darc , I quoted instead of editing :P
Last edited by CoasterKing on Tue May 11, 2004 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

http://www.nintendo.com/e3_2004/ds/ds_software.jsp

If you follow the link you can see screenshots from software demos, including a Mario and Metroid game. The Mario game seems to be a multi-player oriented version of Mario 64, called Mario 64x4. The Metroid games is called Metroid Prime: Hunters, and from the screenshots it seems to be rather similar to the Gamecube game of a similar name.
Lord_Ball
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Lord_Ball »

What is a UMD? is it a mini DVD like GC games or is it suppose to be something entirely different thereby eliminating the Universal part as the umd movies probably wouldn't play in a regular dvd player.

Ninty is the way to go I hate all the crap they are trying to combine gaming with... much like a supercenter store the Jack-of-all-trades master-of-none ideology is all too common these days... :?
q_006
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by q_006 »

Zelda. Game. of. the. Year. Bar. None.

will the GC and DS have the same compatibility as the GBA and GC?
or will they wait for their next system to do that?
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

...COMPLETELY unrelated :roll: , would anybody be interested in a totally tricked-out Gameboy Advance? I don't think I'll be needing it any more ;-)
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Lord_Ball wrote:What is a UMD? is it a mini DVD like GC games or is it suppose to be something entirely different thereby eliminating the Universal part as the umd movies probably wouldn't play in a regular dvd player.
It's sony latest proprietary disc format - from what I've seen, they're around the size of a minidisc, with a hard plastic casing. These seem to be more curvy, show no obvious sign of an internal disc, and hold considerably more data - moreso than even the new HiMD discs due out in the next few months, which only hold 1GB.
Lord_Ball
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Lord_Ball »

az_bont wrote:
Lord_Ball wrote:What is a UMD? is it a mini DVD like GC games or is it suppose to be something entirely different thereby eliminating the Universal part as the umd movies probably wouldn't play in a regular dvd player.
It's sony latest proprietary disc format.
I know that much I meant more the functionality of it since they want to use it for "everything". Do they plan on making UMD discs compatible with DVD players (Hence the miniDVD reference)? If not I could see this as a movie format bombing faster than Laserdisc, especially considering a DVD can still hold more data.
Last edited by Lord_Ball on Tue May 11, 2004 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

lol
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Lord_Ball wrote:
az_bont wrote:
It's sony latest proprietary disc format.
I know that much I meant more the functionality of it since they want to use it for "everything". Do they plan on making UMD discs compatible with DVD players (Hence the miniDVD reference)? If not I could see this as a movie format bombing faster than Laserdisc, especially considering a DVD can still hold more data.
I'm guessing it's to do with Sony's plan of integrating everything. It seems that they'd eventually like to have every single electrical appliance in your home connected and communicating with one another, like something out of The Jetsons.

More than likely it will fail miserably but at least serve the purpose of being a closed-source proprietary format that Sony can control well enough to reduce the mass piracy usually associated with it's games consoles.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I had my doubts about the DS when it was announced...perhaps some of the "Nin-sanity" public opinion had rubbed off on me.

But now the system I'm doubting is the PSP :-P I don't think it'll bomb; it may enjoy pretty decent success for a bit, like the GameGear did. It's neat, and it's nice to have a "modern" system to take on the road, but it really seems a little uninspired. In the end, I do think that Sony is gonna get punk'd by Nintendo, just like everyone else. Nintendo dominates the handheld arena for a very good reason: THEY KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Scykons Input:

Ill be honest, when i heard about the Nintendo DS, I thought "gimmick", and when I saw that picture at the beginning of this thread i thought, "pathetic" and decided that the PSP will pwn it. Then I read further into the topic, and Im excited.
The PSP imo looks the smarter of the 2, but it also looks like its going to cost a crapload. It seems more comparable to a sideways PDA than a handheld games machine, and I cant see how Sony are going to market it at a price comparable to what Nintendo are doing.
Now the DS, I personlly think it looks pretty crappy, fairly retro, and nothing on par with how cool say, the SP looks (especially that new tribal version :D ) but, the prospect of 16 player 100 foot range wireless play, instant messaging, gb/gbc/gba games, a touch screen, voice recognition, and being able to play a version of Mario 64 and a 3D Metroid (and more), all in one device at an affordable price is just too hard not to get excited about.

And whats the best news of all?
We should al be getting this wonder-device within the year. Hopefully this will renew my interest in handheld gaming. I will watch this very closely.

Also...
Didnt Rare say they will still make games for Nintendo handhelds?
Imagine a handheld, Goldeneye 007 port, with 16 player wireless deathmatch!!!!
That would be SO. DAMN. GOOD.

Wow, Im saying postive things about the gaming industry again. Thanks Nintendo. :D
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

scykon wrote: We should al be getting this wonder-device within the year.
Importers anyway. Europe is scheduled for release Q1 2005, so... Easter I'd guess.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
scykon wrote: We should al be getting this wonder-device within the year.
Importers anyway. Europe is scheduled for release Q1 2005, so... Easter I'd guess.
Sorry, I meant, "within A year" :?