Genesis roms on Sega CD?

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Genesis roms on Sega CD?

Post by Luriden »

I heard a rumor that there was an app that would take your Genesis roms and put them into a Sega Cd image for you to burn and play on your Sega CD. Is this rumor false? It seems like it could be possible, though.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

No, it's false. For starters, the Sega CD doesn't have enough RAM.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

I figured it would be able to emulate on its own system, though. Heh, oh well.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Kenichi wrote:I figured it would be able to emulate on its own system, though. Heh, oh well.
You wouldn't be emulating. When the actual hardware is present, it isn't emulation.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Lartrak wrote:You wouldn't be emulating. When the actual hardware is present, it isn't emulation.
Right. There have been rumors floating around for a few years about a way to use the SegaCD to hold ROM images on disc, and somehow either load or stream them into the Genesis. There was also purportedly a converter being worked on at one point (to let you burn Genesis ROM images as SegaCD games), but it's pretty much vaporware at this point.

None of these things were ever substantiated, as far as I can tell...it's obviously possible, as Sega released a CD for the system containing five or so Genesis games on it...but whether they actually used a process we can duplicate or instead just recompiled the sourcecode for SegaCD will probably never be known.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
Lartrak wrote:You wouldn't be emulating. When the actual hardware is present, it isn't emulation.
Right. There have been rumors floating around for a few years about a way to use the SegaCD to hold ROM images on disc, and somehow either load or stream them into the Genesis. There was also purportedly a converter being worked on at one point (to let you burn Genesis ROM images as SegaCD games), but it's pretty much vaporware at this point.

None of these things were ever substantiated, as far as I can tell...it's obviously possible, as Sega released a CD for the system containing five or so Genesis games on it...but whether they actually used a process we can duplicate or instead just recompiled the sourcecode for SegaCD will probably never be known.
Didn't anyone ever check the disc's ISO? Sometimes you can tell, though not always (like Final Fantasy Chronicles doesn't actually emulate Chrono Trigger, just uses the ROM for graphics).
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

I remember seeing a disk sold in asia that was for the Xeye Jvc player that had almost 400 games on it all genesis games each one was a cd set all numbered and it was real.

I dont know what that was but I remember it!
Dreamcast forever!!!
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Ian Micheal wrote:I remember seeing a disk sold in asia that was for the Xeye Jvc player that had almost 400 games on it all genesis games each one was a cd set all numbered and it was real.

I dont know what that was but I remember it!
Curious; I'd like to see one of these discs. If there's a way to set up ROM images to run off a disc for the X'Eye, that would be fun to play with...although there is always the possibility that they were using some pirated devkits or other materials to do this, rather than just specially mounted ROM files. After all, some folks got ahold of BETA code for the MasterSystem Sonic the Hedgehog (when it was still modelled after the Genesis version), and managed to come up with SoMari.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Incidentally, I've still got an X'Eye unit for sale, if anyone's interested...comes with all the necessary hook-ups, a bunch of SegaCD games and a copy of Sonic 2.
Mask of Destiny
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Re: Genesis roms on Sega CD?

Post by Mask of Destiny »

Kenichi wrote:I heard a rumor that there was an app that would take your Genesis roms and put them into a Sega Cd image for you to burn and play on your Sega CD. Is this rumor false? It seems like it could be possible, though.
The rumor may have been referring to SLO/buildscd ( http://www.retrodev.com/ ) as they allow you to put homebrew Genesis demos on a Sega CD disc; however, you need to have the source and make some minor modifications before they will work.
DaMadFiddler wrote:None of these things were ever substantiated, as far as I can tell...it's obviously possible, as Sega released a CD for the system containing five or so Genesis games on it...but whether they actually used a process we can duplicate or instead just recompiled the sourcecode for SegaCD will probably never be known.
I am positive it is the latter. Recompiling from source to get stuff to run on the Sega CD is very easy, building a converter is ridiculously difficult.

I have thought about writing such a converter, but it's quite a bit of work and I haven't gotten up the gumption to start work on it.
lv.10!!!
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by lv.10!!! »

You think the games will still play the same way?
Don't really care about ranks,Don't really care about what you think about me,Just worry about you not getting bi**h slapped b*tc*